Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM

8 posts, read 7,067 times

Advertisements

I know this topic is overdone, but I still have a few questions.

We *might* be relocating from Colorado to Florida, and we are zeroing in on the Tampa Area. That being said, we are big suburbanites and are looking for that family-friendly suburb with GREAT schools. We prefer newer areas with homes built in the 1990's, and up, and suburbs with great shopping. Where we live now, we are less than 2 minutes from Target and Walmart; so, we are a bit spoiled.

Currently, our son is in Third Grade; so, the schools are very important to us. Also, we would love to find a great non-denominational church, fitness studio, etc.

So far, researched has led us to Westchase, Valrico, Lutz, and Brandon. However, that is statistical research so any "insider" information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, in advance, for any input. Also, I do understand not everyone loves Florida nor does everyone understand why anyone would leave Colorado ---all the same....we do on both accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM

686 posts, read 621,424 times
This has been discussed so many times.

Westchase
Lutz
Carrolwood
Wesley Chapel
Land O Lakes
Trinity
Citrus Park

All depends on your price range, willingness to pay flood insurance, how far you want to be from the beaches, etc.

I know a lot of people in Colorado (most of my friends from back home in DC live there now). They love it, but even they can understand why someone would want to leave. The winters get old. The greenery isn't green unless you're... ahem... buying it in a bag. Some of my friends in FL grew up out there and wouldn't go back if you paid them. Their #1 complaint is the cold and the dry air. If it were me, I'd go to CO and never look back at FL, but everyone is different.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM

80 posts, read 81,473 times
Good suburb=westchase ($$$ though)

Lutz is a little too rural
Citrus Park & Carroll wood not bad.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
I 2nd the area's aperson recommended..We are looking in Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes and Trinity from what my friends tell me with kids the schools are very good and you can't go wrong with either of these areas..I don't have school age children anymore so I cant speak personal experience...

Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM

212 posts, read 286,354 times
I want to put a plug in for Lutz. Excellent schools (K-12), close to shopping in Carrollwood and Wesley Chapel (outlet mall), Walmart and Target nearby on Dale Mabry and close to Idelwild church and Grace Family Church. Yes it is more "rural" than Westchase but meets all the other criteria.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:27 PM

To Swimmom32:

Are Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes, Trinity far from the beach? Is the traffic to the beach bad?

Are you leaning toward anyone one of those three?

Old 03-21-2017, 01:29 PM

To jaybird45:

So, what is "rural" like there? Lutz was referred to us. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,363,448 times
Fishhawk Ranch. All the amenities you want, some of the very best schools in the state, and rural just minutes away.

RM

Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschuster1031 View Post
To Swimmom32:

Are Wesley Chapel, Land O Lakes, Trinity far from the beach? Is the traffic to the beach bad?

Trinity Honeymoon Beach State Park is about 30 minutes

Wesley chapel to Clearwater took us about 40-45 minutes same for Land O Lakes....its about an hour to St Pete, but We liked what we saw in Pasco and our friends live there as well..I have another friend looking closer to the Beach, Oldsmar, Palm harbor and one more area I don't remember where...We love being near the water although this is further than we want to be once the kids are finally all moved out we can head towards the water lol

What we love about the areas we are looking in they are fairly new lots of shopping and things to do and still not that far to go and walk around Clearwater or St Pete...

We live 25 min from the shore now so we don't mind driving a bit

Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 AM

686 posts, read 621,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschuster1031 View Post
To Swimmom32:

LoL/Trinity you're looking at around 45 minutes to an hour, depending. Usually (usually...) there isn't much traffic, especially on the weekends, Clearwater Beach excluded. That is the #1 tourist beach and it is getting packed full of huge hotels. From our house in LoL it takes around 45-50 to get to our preferred beach (St. Pete Beach) on any given day. It's an overall pleasant drive especially once you're driving over the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay