Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 11:28 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I guess there's a comprehension issue going on here, as I never said the retail was in Drew Park. And based on your comments you're implying that you either live(d) in Drew Park or frequent it after hours, which it certainly sounds as if you do.

It would appear that your concern is a matter of being "most right". Not to mention it's not terribly germane to the OP's question, either.

RM
No, its not a matter of me being mostly right but more of a matter of you being mostly wrong. You won't find me commenting on areas that I know nothing about. I grew up not far from Drew Park and went to school about a mile north of Drew Park. Ive lived in the area for about 40 years so I feel like I know the area pretty good.

Since you know both areas well, what street or "parts" of Town n Country do you find to be more sketchier than Drew Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
There is no retail walking distance from Drew Park if at the HCC apartments. Maybe if further north by the strip clubs/Adult stores you have retail. Not many homes in Drew Park.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 9,056 times
Quote:
The only "campus housing" is at the Dale Mabry campus. It's at the far west end of the campus on Lois Ave.

There have been issues with crime there in past years, but I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe the housing is also income-based, that is, if your family or situation is of limited means you've got a better chance of securing a place there.

And for the OP, do realize that you're going to be paying out of state tuition for your first year unless you're in a military family, so the initial costs are going to be pretty high.

As for transportation, you're close enough to Dale Mabry that major bus routes are right there. That being said, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the public transportation here, as it's pretty lousy. In general I think you'l be OK. There's nothing that's dangerous or "ghetto" about the area as it's mostly light industrial and retail around there, not a lot of people live in the area. And if it's any consolation, you're right down the street from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement....

RM
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I know I will be paying out of state and even like this I come out a little cheaper than attending a regular university at first, at least from the ones I applied to. I can't say I know it it the cheapest option overall, I might not have applied to all the best universities when I was doing so, but this is what I got stuck with.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:55 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawolf View Post
Thank you for your reply! Yes, I know I will be paying out of state and even like this I come out a little cheaper than attending a regular university at first, at least from the ones I applied to. I can't say I know it it the cheapest option overall, I might not have applied to all the best universities when I was doing so, but this is what I got stuck with.
Don't knock it - Florida community colleges are actually pretty good. Even better is the ability to be guaranteed admission to a four year state school if you graduate with a good GPA. Acceptance rates for freshman students to places like UF and USF are extremely low based on the number of applicants, so the smartest thing to do is to get all your 100 and 200 level courses done at a community college for cheap, then transfer to a state school and finish up there. Even if you're paying out of state tuition your first year you're still ahead of the curve.

Good luck!

RM

Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:
Don't knock it - Florida community colleges are actually pretty good. Even better is the ability to be guaranteed admission to a four year state school if you graduate with a good GPA. Acceptance rates for freshman students to places like UF and USF are extremely low based on the number of applicants, so the smartest thing to do is to get all your 100 and 200 level courses done at a community college for cheap, then transfer to a state school and finish up there. Even if you're paying out of state tuition your first year you're still ahead of the curve.

Good luck!

RM
RM your right

Our daughter is going to Start out at Pasco State college she would like to transfer to USF we toured the school and she loves it, however her GPA isn't high enough to get in as a Freshman...Besides you have to take all your Pre-Req's before you can go onto your major anyhow, so this way might not be so bad...

Old 04-03-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGator View Post
HI SierraWolf,
I saw earlier your mention to another poster that you are considering Computer Information Services Track. Just a reminder there are many US schools, both community college and regular that have online degrees. It might make more sense to go to one of those, especially if you're getting slapped with Out Of State Tuition at a FL Community college. Actually it will likely be the same or less than the cost of in person at HCC or other FL community college. Often for distance learning the schools charge the same for in state/ out of state students so it is likely to be cheaper. I understand you feel behind and that might be a way to take some classes that will transfer or just get your degree online. University of Maryland University college umuc.edu is one. Ivy Tech Community College is physically in Indiana but also has online degrees (associate, 2 year). IvyTech.edu There are many others. In fact I think UF has online things but again at most any school, once you get slapped as "out of state" no matter how long you are there, you are always considered "out of state". AND be careful often they go by the address when you APPLY.

You might be able to start where you currently live (check with the school) so you feel less behind. Or you could move to the US, start online courses (at a school out of state, if you try this in state you'll again be out of state tuition forever).then in a year when you would get in state tuition you'll be good to go and apply to a FL school
If you are taking classes in person with out of state tuition you might find you are paying just as much for a FL community college as a 4 year college. With out of state tuition is it unlikely to be cheaper than a 4 year degree. Personally I think you're better off waiting until you can file for financial aid and going directly to a decent school and live in a real dorm if you choose. If you know anyone (safe and trustworthy) in FL, I would go there, live with them, work, go to online school and in a year apply to places for instate tuition/ financial aid.

My number 1 concern is your safety. If you're wondering about those other schools / areas I'd consider posting questions under the forums for them.

Anyplace you know someone is better than someplace you don't, especially if you're living on your own or plan to. CA has a very good system for IT majors and a lot of schools in general. It might be good to live with someone there, work for a year (same as FL possible plan) and if you like it go to school there.

In response to your question my first degree was in psychology (BS), then I went to Information Technology (AS) , onto working in Masters software engineering, had another major super change in life and the universe and now I'm studying nutrition. I've been to a bunch of different schools to say the least. Moved quite a bit, done a bunch of different jobs. There are many options.

NG
Thank you for your reply! I will look into online degrees, but I would get Out of State tuition wherever I go in the states. I am actually applying with a Florida address which is only a PO Box, but it is our mailing address while I live in the Dominican Republic. Is it really that hard to get in-state tuition? Even if I took time off after my AA to work full-time? I read the requirements for a Florida residency, so wouldn't fulfilling those quality me after a while?

As for going to school in the Dominica Republic, I'd really rather not. Unless I had residency here it is really not worth it. There are every limited amounts of schools that offer transferable English degrees and quite frankly they cost more or the same as any other state college in the US would. Not to mention that the education system here is a joke, at least according to several of my friends who have either attended to are currently attending school here. All of the ones who can are transferring to the US, England, or Canada after their first year because they aren't saving any money for the quality of education they are getting.

I can file the FAFSA, only difference is with community colleges is that I usually only get the Pell Grant and no Need-based aid. I wasn't aware that you could eventually transfer an online degree to a regular degree though.

I appreciate your concern. I will post in the other forums and I have been asking around to see if I could move in with someone. The only close family friend I have so found so far though lives in Boston. I know a couple people in Florida, but I wouldn't be able to move in with them. As for California, isn't the cost of living there expensive? That is what I have heard from friends, but I'm afraid I haven't actually done a lot of research on it. I defiantly will though.

Wow, that is a wide range of studies that funnily enough are all of my interests as well. I debated studying psychology in the beginning of high school because I thought I wasn't good enough to do CS or IT. However, now I have more interest in IT than psychology. I also developed a new found interest in nutrition which I seriously planned to study after I graduated, but decided to stick to IT nonetheless because I would have wanted to study vegan nutrition which is offered at a limited amount of schools. I think I might pursue it later, but IT is my main focus now.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
There is no retail walking distance from Drew Park if at the HCC apartments. Maybe if further north by the strip clubs/Adult stores you have retail. Not many homes in Drew Park.
Do you know if it's possible to take public transport to stores? Or is it really that terrible? Thanks you!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
No, its not a matter of me being mostly right but more of a matter of you being mostly wrong. You won't find me commenting on areas that I know nothing about. I grew up not far from Drew Park and went to school about a mile north of Drew Park. Ive lived in the area for about 40 years so I feel like I know the area pretty good.

Since you know both areas well, what street or "parts" of Town n Country do you find to be more sketchier than Drew Park?
Would you know if basic necessity stores, like grocery stores and such are easily accessible from the school area? I seem to be reading that nothing like that is in walking distance, but are they accessible by public transport you think?

Old 04-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Good luck!

RM
Thank you so much!

Old 04-03-2017, 02:26 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawolf View Post
Would you know if basic necessity stores, like grocery stores and such are easily accessible from the school area? I seem to be reading that nothing like that is in walking distance, but are they accessible by public transport you think?
Nothing really within walking distance. If you cut through the New York Yankees training complex parking lot there is a pretty good restaraunt/sandwich shop called AJ's less than a mile away. You might consider getting a bicycle, there is a really nice park called Al Lopez park that is not far.
If you walk to Dale Mabry you can take the 45 bus south to Spruce St and find everything you need. There is a bus that leaves directly from the campus to downtown but not much in between the two. The bus's run every 30 min on weekday's and every hour on weekend's but the latest they run is 9 or 10 pm. All bus's have bike rack's on the front which would help getting around easier.
So to answer your question, yes everything is accessible by public transportation but a bike might make it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay