Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 998 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm creating this "new thread" because I'm looking to see what are the most common questions that "homeowners" have about going solar, without the need of buying anything.

I'm an Energy Consultant for SolarCity/Tesla Energy.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have about solar energy.

Look forward to help everyone!

Thanks!
Jonathan Ditren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Why is it so expensive???

Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM

107 posts, read 110,603 times
What's up with this solar wall that Tesla can do to replace whole home energy? What is the timeframe?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:35 AM

13 posts, read 17,599 times
How much sun exposure do you need to get in order for it to be worthwhile? (i.e. - what if you have a lot of tree cover in your yard?)

Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 AM

569 posts, read 1,058,872 times
This isn't directly what you're going for, but I'm really interested in the new solar roof. I've read that the solar roof + installation is expected to cost about the same as installing a "regular roof" without even factoring in the savings from the electricity. What is that considering a "regular roof" to be?

For example, I have about 2000 sq ft of standard shingle roof and have been quoted about $8-10k to replace it. Of course, if I want to upgrade to some other material like stone, terra cotta, slate, etc. it could easily cost 3 times that. So are the claims that a solar roof could be installed on my home for about $10k? $30k? more?

Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM

More directly on the topic:

Why the lack of transparency about price? When I go to the solar city website, the only thing I can find a price for is the Powerwall which "starts at" $48 / month and sounds awfully expensive to me.

If this is really such a money-saving proposition why not list costs, and provide comparisons and calculators so people can decide if it makes sense for them? It should be really easy to list:
  • PPA rate
  • Loan APR range (presumably based on credit)
  • Range of typical installations costs for different energy needs ("houses that use 1000 kwh / month typically cost $xxxx to install and need y space for the panels, houses that use 2000 kwh / month typically cost $xxxx to install and need y space, etc.)
  • Calculator where you enter:
    • Average kwh / month
    • Current cost per kwh
    • Powerwall / no Powerwall
    • Choose the payment plan (at least PPA / non-PPA)
    and it shows the average savings / month, and total savings over 20 years (preferably with an estimated installation cost included)

The fact that this isn't readily available and I can only get even a ballpark price by having the company send someone to my house to interrupt my day so they can try and smooth talk me into a sale leads me to believe that there isn't much, if any, savings at all.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I think we scared them off....

Lots of good questions. Let's hope they're answered.

RM

Old 03-29-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I think we scared them off....

Lots of good questions. Let's hope they're answered.

RM
To be fair, he did say that he was looking to see what the most common questions were, not that he would respond to them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay