U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2017, 04:23 PM
KPB
 
1,517 posts, read 1,369,691 times
Reputation: 1313

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I just got back from the Tampa area yesterday. I 75 was a mess most of the way. I witnessed so many accidents blocking traffic for miles. Is it typical for there to be road construction going on through the holiday weekends?
I went thru that in Ocala also (1 lane). 75 has been under construction for almost the last 20 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2017, 11:23 AM
 
261 posts, read 238,654 times
Reputation: 193
I worked for a company in the Tampa Bay area, for about 8 years and we also had an office in Indy as well. It seemed like a lot of people who transferred there or visited there hated it. Its definitely cheaper there from what I hear, but they get you with taxes in Indiana more than Florida does. Both have major sports and solid nightlife culture as well as shopping options. But Tampa has the beach. So i guess its what your personal preference is.


The traffic is probably much worse in Tampa, since Tampa got tons of bridges that stand still in rush hour and much more vacationers and transients most of who got no clue where they going. Tampa area is growing a lot more and infrastructure in some areas is being coming a mess. Hillsborough is growing so much in the south and east they needed to create a new sheriffs district and need a bunch of new fire stations soon. Pinellas is built out so the only place to build is up to be honest. Its a tough area to navigate.


Ironically I moved to Lexington, Kentucky population around 320 k, which is only 200 miles Southeast from Indy last summer (but never been to indy yet) and I could tell you one thing Lexington is much cleaner than most of Tampa Bay with less traffic and less urban sprawl. The biggest surprise is the restaurants are much better here in Lex and usually less crowded. Tampa area underwhelmed and had tons of tourist traps. Also Car insurance is 60 dollars cheaper a month and rent about 300 dollars cheaper for a two bedroom luxury apartment. But kentucky has some backward state processes which I hate so far, Florida totally more advanced at the DMV and other state agencies. Florida also has much more bugs then KY and If you dont like very humid and hot weather and heavy blinding rain in the summer, Florida totally might not be for you.

Last edited by paradiselost; 07-03-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Tampa
686 posts, read 563,425 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
I worked for a company in the Tampa Bay area, for about 8 years and we also had an office in Indy as well. It seemed like a lot of people who transferred there or visited there hated it. Its definitely cheaper there from what I hear, but they get you with taxes in Indiana more than Florida does. Both have major sports and solid nightlife culture as well as shopping options. But Tampa has the beach. So i guess its what your personal preference is.


The traffic is probably much worse in Tampa, since Tampa got tons of bridges that stand still in rush hour and much more vacationers and transients most of who got no clue where they going. Tampa area is growing a lot more and infrastructure in some areas is being coming a mess. Hillsborough is growing so much in the south and east they needed to create a new sheriffs district and need a bunch of new fire stations soon. Pinellas is built out so the only place to build is up to be honest. Its a tough area to navigate.


Ironically I moved to Lexington, Kentucky population around 320 k, which is only 200 miles Southeast from Indy last summer (but never been to indy yet) and I could tell you one thing Lexington is much cleaner than most of Tampa Bay with less traffic and less urban sprawl. The biggest surprise is the restaurants are much better here in Lex and usually less crowded. Tampa area underwhelmed and had tons of tourist traps. Also Car insurance is 60 dollars cheaper a month and rent about 300 dollars cheaper for a two bedroom luxury apartment. But kentucky has some backward state processes which I hate so far, Florida totally more advanced at the DMV and other state agencies. Florida also has much more bugs then KY and If you dont like very humid and hot weather and heavy blinding rain in the summer, Florida totally might not be for you.
Yeah, but now you have to live in a state that will teach bible classes in public schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2017, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,457 posts, read 6,183,595 times
Reputation: 6517
Having grown up and lived in Indianapolis, and still having relatives who have lived there all of their lives, I can assure you that many of the issues that Tampa is grappling with are present in Indianapolis as well.

"Getting you with taxes" is a pretty silly statement, as nearly ever other state has some sort of income taxes - including Kentucky, I might add.

Indiana's income tax is in the mid to low single digits depending on your income level. When I was there as an adult I never found it difficult to deal with the taxes. I would add that there are a lot of good aspects to having those tax dollars for things like really good schools and a good infrastructure.

Indianapolis has its plusses and minuses, just as Tampa does. While there are those naysayers who don't even live here any more that are quick to criticize, I can pretty much pick out a substantial list of negatives for both locations. The critical aspect of those points is whether or not they matter to someone if they're looking for a place to live.

As I tell people who seem to be quick to criticize, whether it be Tampa, Indy, or anywhere else, please let me know when you've found the perfect place to live.

RM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2017, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
9,208 posts, read 7,897,797 times
Reputation: 6612
Tampa Pros: Growth, development, solid economy, excellent vacation amenities and surrounding cities, beaches, shopping, nicer people than the Atlantic coast

Tampa Cons: Still in the shadow of Miami and Orlando, traffic, insufficient infrastructure given the population, small downtown

Indianapolis Pros: STEM focus for public education and economy, cheap housing, cheap food, cheap hotels, low traffic, one of a few midwestern metros actually growing.

Indianapolis Cons: One dimensional culture, underwhelming scenery, homely population, crime, blighted areas downtown, rural metro area, feels smaller than it is
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
32,687 posts, read 27,210,097 times
Reputation: 43030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
It doesn't matter if you love the beach or the rockies for vacation activties. Unless you are well off you'll not be spending your time on a water craft or skies at the resort. To base a cool location to live on those sweet vacation times is naive. To voluntarily relocate you must spend time in your comparable income bracket away from the resort vacation week or so habitat and experience the reality of what you'll be dealing with. Then you will understand when you head north why everyone says "you live in Florida how come you don't have a tan?"
Day to day life is much the same anywhere you go. Most of us go to work, take care of kids, maybe go to the gym or out to socialize, etc.

I lived in Indy for three years. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. The worst thing,by far, was the lack of sun during the winter. Being from Tennessee, I was used to much better outdoor opportunities as well.

No place is perfect, but weather and natural scenery is something you can't change. Some people learn to live with it, but others never do and are always looking somewhere that the grass is greener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Having grown up and lived in Indianapolis, and still having relatives who have lived there all of their lives, I can assure you that many of the issues that Tampa is grappling with are present in Indianapolis as well.

"Getting you with taxes" is a pretty silly statement, as nearly ever other state has some sort of income taxes - including Kentucky, I might add.

Indiana's income tax is in the mid to low single digits depending on your income level. When I was there as an adult I never found it difficult to deal with the taxes. I would add that there are a lot of good aspects to having those tax dollars for things like really good schools and a good infrastructure.

Indianapolis has its pluses and minuses, just as Tampa does. While there are those naysayers who don't even live here any more that are quick to criticize, I can pretty much pick out a substantial list of negatives for both locations. The critical aspect of those points is whether or not they matter to someone if they're looking for a place to live.

As I tell people who seem to be quick to criticize, whether it be Tampa, Indy, or anywhere else, please let me know when you've found the perfect place to live.

RM
Indiana's state income tax is flat - somewhere around 3.4%. Counties then have their own income tax piled on top of the state rate. Madison County, where Anderson is and just north of Indy, has an income of tax of 3% last I checked. If you live and work in Madison County, you are roughly paying 6.5% to state and county income taxes, 3% of that going to a county that's been in decline for decades. It seem like a raw deal to me.

The roads around Indianapolis are bad. Madison County is just plain atrocious. I've heard people talking about Indy's good infrastructure, but roads, etc., were worse than anywhere else I've lived, much worse than when I've been in the Tampa area on vacation.

When I moved to Indy in 2014, registration and plate fees were nearly $500 the first year, as the fee is based on the value of the car. I drove a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. If you drove an expensive car, your registration fees would easily be over $1,000. A family with a couple of SUVs and cars could easily face a couple thousand in annual vehicle registration fees.

Coming from Tennessee, I was just appalled at the extra taxes I was paying in IN. The state and county taxes were about $160/month. The registration fee was another $45/month or so over what I would have paid in TN. I didn't feel like I received any benefit for the additional taxes I paid. I didn't mind paying the county tax to Hamilton County, as it's a very nice place to live, but watching 3.4% go to the state to have who knows what done with it felt like robbery.

People need to run their own numbers with regard to taxes. IN, while not a high tax state like IL or NJ, is by no means low tax either, and FL is probably going to have a lower total tax burden, in the aggregate.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 07-06-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 12:51 PM
 
3,304 posts, read 2,431,445 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Day to day life is much the same anywhere you go. Most of us go to work, take care of kids, maybe go to the gym or out to socialize, etc.

I lived in Indy for three years. I didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. The worst thing,by far, was the lack of sun during the winter. Being from Tennessee, I was used to much better outdoor opportunities as well.

No place is perfect, but weather and natural scenery is something you can't change. Some people learn to live with it, but others never do and are always looking somewhere that the grass is greener.



Indiana's state income tax is flat - somewhere around 3.4%. Counties then have their own income tax piled on top of the state rate. Madison County, where Anderson is and just north of Indy, has an income of tax of 3% last I checked. If you live and work in Madison County, you are roughly paying 6.5% to state and county income taxes, 3% of that going to a county that's been in decline for decades. It seem like a raw deal to me.

The roads around Indianapolis are bad. Madison County is just plain atrocious. I've heard people talking about Indy's good infrastructure, but roads, etc., were worse than anywhere else I've lived, much worse than when I've been in the Tampa area on vacation.

When I moved to Indy in 2014, registration and plate fees were nearly $500 the first year, as the fee is based on the value of the car. I drove a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. If you drove an expensive car, your registration fees would easily be over $1,000. A family with a couple of SUVs and cars could easily face a couple thousand in annual vehicle registration fees.

Coming from Tennessee, I was just appalled at the extra taxes I was paying in IN. The state and county taxes were about $160/month. The registration fee was another $45/month or so over what I would have paid in TN. I didn't feel like I received any benefit for the additional taxes I paid. I didn't mind paying the county tax to Hamilton County, as it's a very nice place to live, but watching 3.4% go to the state to have who knows what done with it felt like robbery.

People need to run their own numbers with regard to taxes. IN, while not a high tax state like IL or NJ, is by no means low tax either, and FL is probably going to have a lower total tax burden, in the aggregate.
Missouri is nothing like that car registration wise. Wow. Much cheaper for us than both FL and IN. Sure we had yearly personal property tax on them but nowhere near those amounts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2017, 06:36 PM
 
1,040 posts, read 868,299 times
Reputation: 1107
Okay okay so where the hell is the better place to live already
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2017, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Tampa
285 posts, read 361,097 times
Reputation: 305
I lived in Indy for 3 years prior to moving to Tampa last year. I also went to Purdue, but that doesn't really count. I enjoyed my time there, but I can't really articulate why. It's a nice city with nice people and a pretty cheap cost of living. I moved there after 5 years in Chicago, so the slower pace of living was really nice for a while. Also, the food scene there is really good; my wife and I think it's better than Tampa's. My hobby there was brewing beer. Haven't brewed since moving to Tampa, partially because I've found things to do outdoors to occupy most of my free time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 06:28 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,147 times
Reputation: 15
I live in Clearwater near the beach, yet I haven't been there in many years. The beach is where all the tourists go and isn't very parking friendly. You can find a good house within a 10 minute drive to the beach for around $110,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top