U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM

13 posts, read 52,726 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I have recently (January) applied for a call center position for Verizon and was happy and relieved to have passed the testing and the interview process. I received a letter stating I would be contacted if a position was still available and was disappointed to have not gotten a phone call. Then I saw the position was re-posted. I am more than qualified for this position, I was a store manager for a wireless company for several years in my last position, so I don't think that is the issue. It just seems like a colossal waste of my time and their time and resources to make me go through this long process and then never to hear from them again. If anyone has any insight, I would certainly appreciate it. Good jobs are hard to come by down here and I am just looking for some sort of reason why they have not contacted me and I guess holding onto the hope that they may still call me.

If you prefer to personal message me, please do.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM

4,723 posts, read 12,399,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorta View Post
Hello-
I have recently (January) applied for a call center position for Verizon and was happy and relieved to have passed the testing and the interview process. I received a letter stating I would be contacted if a position was still available and was disappointed to have not gotten a phone call. Then I saw the position was re-posted. I am more than qualified for this position, I was a store manager for a wireless company for several years in my last position, so I don't think that is the issue. It just seems like a colossal waste of my time and their time and resources to make me go through this long process and then never to hear from them again. If anyone has any insight, I would certainly appreciate it. Good jobs are hard to come by down here and I am just looking for some sort of reason why they have not contacted me and I guess holding onto the hope that they may still call me.

If you prefer to personal message me, please do.

Thanks so much!
Welcome to job hunting in Florida. You should call them back.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 6,589 times
Default Hi

i applied for a call center position with verizon, passed all the tests, never heard from them and got another job 1 year later i got a call went for more tests and i have been working there for 2 years

Old 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM

25,821 posts, read 39,041,770 times
I suggest you would call them again, and hope you will get the job and will do better than all the people I spoke with in the past at these horrible Verizon call centers. There has been a thread up about Bright House and Verizon and almost 100% of the people who commented were very disappointed the way Verizon handles the phone calls. Me and many others left and went to Bright House and their call center just like ATT works perfect and the help you get is much better.
So maybe this is the way the whole company operates, so my suggestion would be ...give Bright House a call and see if the hire people...I guess working there is much more joy. I know many people in my neighborhood who either work or have worked at Verizon....

Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 8,496,861 times
unless you have a bachelors degree or higher, the only job you can land in Florida is working stock for Albertsons or Walmart.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,772,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
unless you have a bachelors degree or higher, the only job you can land in Florida is working stock for Albertsons or Walmart.
Call center jobs are abundant in Tampa and you do not need a degree. Some of the high up ones everyone want to get into like Hilton you need a very strong work history the entry level ones just show up on their open house and your in.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Call center jobs are abundant in Tampa and you do not need a degree. Some of the high up ones everyone want to get into like Hilton you need a very strong work history the entry level ones just show up on their open house and your in.
Yeah, A degree is not required. However, Keep in mind that people with degrees can't find work and are applying to those call center jobs too. I doubt John Q. Hiring guy is going to hire a highschool diploma over a Bachelors degree when he has the choice of both.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 PM

425 posts, read 1,088,542 times
Quote:
I doubt John Q. Hiring guy is going to hire a highschool diploma over a Bachelors degree when he has the choice of both.
Depends... you definitely have a point. However, experienced professionals with degrees who have found themselves out of work sometimes find themselves unemployable in the lower ranks. The hiring managers often feel that you are overqualified and will not be happy with a lesser role and much less pay. They may suspect that you'll already be looking to leave the day you show up.

Of course, I disagree with the above sentiment. As a hiring manager I think I'd always try to hire the absolute best candidates I could and leave it at that. Worst case you have a strong employee for 6 months and he/she rubs off on everyone else.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:30 PM

4,723 posts, read 12,399,712 times
Quote:
Yeah, A degree is not required. However, Keep in mind that people with degrees can't find work and are applying to those call center jobs too. I doubt John Q. Hiring guy is going to hire a highschool diploma over a Bachelors degree when he has the choice of both.
It's cheaper to hire the person with the HS diploma right now...

Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
It's cheaper to hire the person with the HS diploma right now...
Exactly, and that's the problem with modern day Florida.

Employers ALWAYS go with the cheaper option and when it's time for a raise or promotion your job is gone.

I'm guessing that's the reason why in the North, you can get a grocery store job for $10-$12 an hour with full medical/dental/401k while in Florida you're lucky to get $6.25/hr with no benefits and you're lucky if you can find anyone hiring fulltime.

Good luck, thorta but it's stuff like that that lead me to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or