U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 298,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
ditto

no offense, but you sound a bit anal

"most of all three plus feet of pool equipment of theirs sits on OUR property"

does that seriously bother you?
It's just that the neighbor uses a "sand filter" and just dumps the dirty sand in a hug pile next to the filter instead of bagging it and putting it out for the trash pick-up. Like I said, thank Heaven there is at least a "fence" (although wood and rotted quite badly and located 2 1/2 feet on our property) "hiding" all this equipment and pile of sand !! Without the "fence" it would be the crappiest eyesore you could imagine. As it is now, when it rains the sand in the pile runs "under the fence" and into our yard, but it gets dissappaited into the grass so it's okay. I am just bewildered that there is only 16 INCHES between the side of the house and the property line , yet someone decided to put three feet WIDTH of pool equipment in 16 inches ?? I'm not "anal", it's just that I don't like sloppiness. Nice, neatly kept pool equipment (as we had in our previous Florida house) is a lot different that what we actually have next door, but once again, the fence hides all the "crap" so that is not the issue in this thread. It's actually about the guy on the other side that "scalps" MY grass with an old, dull mower. ALL I ask of him is to stay within HIS property line..... if he wants to "scalp" HIS grass then let him do it, just PLEASE "respect" MINE, that's all !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,689,203 times
Well they do have zero lot lines here in Florida but I was not aware they would take it that far.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,060,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
All I can say is, wow. I'm glad I'm not your neighbor
My thoughts, exactly.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well they do have zero lot lines here in Florida but I was not aware they would take it that far.
When I first heard the term "Zero Lot Line" I did NOT understand what it meant, and never really had a "concern" about it either....

The first house we purchased in Florida (in 2000) was in Valrico and had 120+ feet (unbuildable lot purchased by next door neighbor) between that neighbor and us and the other side had min. 35+ feet (houses set at diagonal) between that neighbor. We had a back neighbor in a different development that also allowed fences and they had a tall (6 ft.) wooden fence so that was great privacy all the way around. By the way, fences WERE ALLOWED in our development if we wanted one.

Our second house (moved for job reasons) was in Leesburg in an "active adult" community. We had "infinite" (conservation area) behind us and about 25+ feet between homes on the sides. Fences were NOT allowed there, nor were any sort of hedge or bushes on the property lines.

Due to another job change we moved to Plant City in a Gated Development and just "sort of grabbed any house that came along" because of the job situation starting immediately. With that house, even though it was small, we had 10 feet from our house to the property line on each side, so did the neighbors, thus houses were 20 feet apart. That house turned out to be way too small for our needs and when we had a chance a couple of years later we moved to a slightly larger house about 2 1/2 miles away in a more "relaxed" community (same development) with less (practically none) kids and an "older" group of people. This is where we are now !! Still, until that very moment we set foot in the yard, we still DID NOT KNOW the house next door to us was built on a ZERO LOT LINE !! Would it have made a big difference if we knew back then ?? PERHAPS !! But recently we found out we are not the only house here on a "zero lot line". The house directly across the street from us recently sold and was surveyed and guess what, that too is a "zero lot line". The property (survey) marker on the left side of the house was directly "under" the roof line, and the house to the left of that is only 5 feet <yikes> away !! Simply unbelievable !! How could the builders in 1986 - 1989 get away with this ??

Old 03-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My thoughts, exactly.
Well perhaps (not saying it is true) but just maybe you would be that "sloppy" neighbor that MOST people do NOT want to live next to so maybe I am glad that you are not living next to me too !!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,060,649 times
Did you ever talk to your neighbors about your concerns - or do you just peer through the blinds while stewing over the fact that they may be a few inches on your property?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Did you ever talk to your neighbors about your concerns - or do you just peer through the blinds while stewing over the fact that they may be a few inches on your property?
YOU certainly DON'T thoroughly read forums very well..........
I have said numerous times I spoke with the neighbor that cuts the grass two+ feet on my side and posted what his negative reaction was..... and I also said numerous times that the neighbor on the "zero lot line" is an okay guy and there is NO problem !! This "zero lot line" just shocks me as I have NEVER been confronted with anything like this before, that's all !!

And I DON'T peer through my blinds, I "confront" a person face-to-face !!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

849 posts, read 3,197,610 times
Unhappy I can't believe the grief

you're getting from this forum You have a legitimate concern because of the legalities involved with encroachments. That the leftist neighbors are making nice still leaves the legal issues and if they sell will you be as "lucky" with the next owners? It was a hard lesson to learn and can make your property hard to sell. In the future, I would always pay for a survey when buying. It's probably not a whole lot of money. For now get an attorney and exert your right to all the land within the survey. It must be illegal to remove a marker and I doubt it just walked away on its own. But just a suggestion and f it's redundant, I apologize, why not make friends whet the HOA and get them after the encroacher. After all if he ruined the grass, it becomes an unsightly mess and that's what HOA's are there to prevent among other things. You can also contact www.ABCactionnews.com. Walt Maciborski[sp] is doing a feature now on bad neighbors. Maybe being on the tube will get these guys to shape up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrrr View Post
YOU certainly DON'T thoroughly read forums very well..........
I have said numerous times I spoke with the neighbor that cuts the grass two+ feet on my side and posted what his negative reaction was..... and I also said numerous times that the neighbor on the "zero lot line" is an okay guy and there is NO problem !! This "zero lot line" just shocks me as I have NEVER been confronted with anything like this before, that's all !!

And I DON'T peer through my blinds, I "confront" a person face-to-face !!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM

222 posts, read 452,834 times
why don't you go to a mower repair shop and buy the a hole a used mower that will cut at 3" i know it will cost you money but it will be worth it in the long run, if he still uses the old mower, then i don't know. PS how about that plastic stuff they use to separate flower beds from grass?

Last edited by GENO-777; 03-07-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENO-777 View Post
why don't you go to a mower repair shop and buy the a hole a used mower that will cut at 3" i know it will cost you money but it will be worth it in the long run, if he still uses the old mower, then i don't know. PS how about that plastic stuff they use to separate flower beds from grass?
We have a "pie" shaped lot with the front a lot narrower than the back and as I explained many times (sorry for repeating myself) I call it "grass-to-grass" because it has no visible separation from our yard to our neighbor's. We actually "mesh" together 100%, only our grass is a lot greener because we cut it at proper height and fertilize correctly. This "non-visible line" that exists only as a line on a survey map certainly would "mesh-in", as we all know by now, if grass height was cut the same, that has been established quite a few times by me in this thread .... your suggestion makes sense if I had the extra money to buy HIM a mower (and set it at 3 inches), but I don't have extra money so as a "substitute" I take it upon myself to CUT HIS LAWN that "meshes into mine", an area about 8 feet wide and 25 feet long which borders his driveway and I try to make "both" lawns look "as ONE" !! He realizes that I have cut his lawn because the other part is over 4 to 5 inches tall and what I cut is a neat 3 inches, but he just wants to "establish his boundary" or "make his grass all the same height" or something like that, I guess ??

As I mentioned previously, we had several other Florida houses that the land was "grass-to-grass" (no fence) with the neighbors and everything was 100% fine, but I think that is because they all used (except me) a lawn service to cut their lawn and those big mowers can cut 3, 4 even 5 inches if necessary. My mower (a Husqvarna 17HP 48" riding mower at that time) was set at 3 1/2 inches and we always cut all our lawns around the same time and it looked really nice and "balanced" !!

You mentioned that "plastic flower garden border stuff" as an alternative. It is NOT allowed in the rules of OUR Homeowner's Association so that idea is out. Fences, plants, hedges, bushes, NOTHING is allowed in this particular development, not even a six inch wide strip of mulch (which my Wife suggested) !!

I just wait for the rain to try and "grow back" the scalped grass as quickly as possible while trying just to ignore the situation the best I can (easier said than DONE !!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay