Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:55 AM

44 posts, read 326,467 times

Advertisements

We try to live in "harmony and friendship" with our two next door neighbors (conservation area in back) but the fact is that "grass-to-grass", NO fence or hedges allowed property lines are really making it rough !! We recently moved into this house and had it professionally surveyed and marked (with metal wire flag markers) so we know exactly where the next door neighbor's property lines are and where ours stops..... all 125+ feet long of it. We were shocked to find the neighbor on our left side was built on a ZERO property line and that neighbor's roof line is OUR property line and their house wall is 16 inches away from our property line. In fact their Lanai "side" is exactly on our property line and their screen door actually opens right into our backyard. Believe it or not their termite bait stations are about two feet into our yard as well as several dozen feet of 3 foot wide hedges (against their house and Lanai) but most of all three plus feet of pool equipment of theirs sits on OUR property. We have nicely made them aware of this fact and they have since stopped using that Lanai door nearly as much as usual (you should have seen it during their picnics..... OUR backyard was turned into theirs !!) So they are living in "harmony" with us and all is "happy" on the "left side" !! It's the neighbor on our right side...... we all have St. Augustine grass and I know NOT to "scalp" it below 3 inches when cut, but unfortunately the neighbor on the right has a "cheapy" lawn mower that cuts a max. of 2 inches and he does NOT "respect" where our property line is and cuts 3 FEET OVER, onto our property and "scalps the crap" out of our St. Augustine bringing it almost to roots on bare soil. I have NICELY tried probably 10 times or more explaining to him where OUR property line is, referencing the corner of a big metal electrical box (about 3 ft. x 3 ft.) where the surveyers left a flag (which unfortunately has since been removed), but he still "wanders over onto our side and scalps" !! If it were a clean 3 inch high cut there would be NO problem, but the constant "scalping" of a 2 inch, old, worn mower is making the grass yellow and weeds are coming up in these weakened parts, no matter how much we have our lawn "treated" (fertilized) !! Plus it just looks so ridiculous having our lawn freshly cut at 3 inches then he comes out and cuts at 2 inches !! I told him (nicely) he is cutting his lawn much too low for St. Augustine and he comes back saying it's the highest the mower can go and that is the best he is going to do and that's that !! I asked him to stay OFF our property and he demands to "see the survey markers". The trouble is that they put HIS water meter (that's Florida for ya') on OUR property, so he figures this is "his grass". I have tried again about an hour ago, as he was cutting (scalping), showing him the corner of our electrical box is the property line and NOT the water meter and he got really sarcastic and demanded to "see a survey map". The really sad part is that when I cut OUR lawn I also cut his to make it all "look even" (at 3 inches) and I have told him I will cut HIS lawn in front on my side, DON'T worry about it, I will make it all look nice........ he is stubborn and wants to cut all his at 2 inches to make HIS look freshly cut..........
WHAT TO DO ?????????????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
Why did you buy knowing about the encroachment? You should see a real estate lawyer.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 AM

127 posts, read 427,379 times
All I can say is, wow. I'm glad I'm not your neighbor

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Why did you buy knowing about the encroachment? You should see a real estate lawyer.
The "encroachment" on the left side was a complete surprise to us as we did not see any survey map from the seller showing us this "zero lot line" nor did he mention it to us. We made a stupid assumption that the houses were placed "centrally" within their property lines and even if we thought of "worse case situation" (which we didn't) we would have thought there would be at very, very, least 5 feet (hopefully 10 feet) between the side of a neighbor's house and the side of THEIR property. We only saw it on the survey map that WE received from the Title Company THREE WEEKS AFTER closing !! We come originally from Connecticut where we had close to 1 1/2 ACRES with well over 160 foot frontage and with a 50 foot wide raised ranch we had well over 50 feet if not a lot more, between our house and the neighbors to the side of us. We also had a stream on one side and lots of trees (woods) on both sides as a natural buffer between neighbors. Our property went back like 450 feet into woods with no backyard neighbors. YES, we miss that "freedom" and "privacy" !! In my wildest dreams or imagination I could NEVER imagine a house in a suburban gated community with a ZERO lot line, except in a place like Brooklyn or Queens, New York.

But we have learned to "accept" this neighbor "on the left" and like I originally stated, that is not the problem (except for his darm pool equipment on OUR property, which thankfully, is covered by a fence HE put up before we bought the house - which we found out by the survey is 2 1/2 feet ON OUR PROPERTY !!)

The problem is the guy on the "right" side that just will NOT accept where HIS property line ends and ours starts......... there is nothing to "mark" it and the Association RULES say NO fence or hedges can be placed to make a border between properties !! This sux !!

Last edited by wrrr; 03-06-2008 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 03-06-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
And why is that ?? I am a real nice guy that takes excellent care of our property. I even cut the front, side of the neighbor's lawn when I cut mine, just to make all the grass look even. I edge his side and trim it and blow away the clippings, not to leave a mess.

I am POLITE when I as him to raise the height of his mower, which he says he can't, so I politely ask him to just STAY ON HIS SIDE, what is wrong with that ??

Would YOU want someone to cut YOUR grass lower (2 inches) than the "proper height" and actually "scalp" it ?? If you live in Florida you KNOW St. Augustine wants a 3 inch minimum cut !!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 AM

33 posts, read 96,160 times
Oh man I feel for ya. I grew up in a house where we were constantly having yard wars with our neighbors. Some people just don't respect others property and don't care if their side looks trashy. I hope you can get this settled and that it doesn't cost you much money. And just for the record I would be happy to have you as a neighbor! More people should take pride in their property!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Why on earth would you have purchased a home in a place like this?

I would not even consider a house where I couldn't have a fence. When I was looking, I turned down homes that were on golf courses because I couldn't have a privacy fence.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM

70 posts, read 363,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
ditto

no offense, but you sound a bit anal

"most of all three plus feet of pool equipment of theirs sits on OUR property"

does that seriously bother you?

most newer housing developments squeeze houses together and have ill defined lot lines, which I why I would never buy a home where I can't have a fence. if all else fails, perhaps you should show him your survey map to prove he is "encroaching" upon you and your property.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslyn848 View Post
ditto

no offense, but you sound a bit anal

"most of all three plus feet of pool equipment of theirs sits on OUR property"

does that seriously bother you?

most newer housing developments squeeze houses together and have ill defined lot lines, which I why I would never buy a home where I can't have a fence. if all else fails, perhaps you should show him your survey map to prove he is "encroaching" upon you and your property.
I think the thing that would bother me about it would be having to move their stuff to mow my lawn.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM

177 posts, read 257,525 times
Well Ct,I can understand your concern.Isn't there a law when land is trodden on by non owners for x amount of time it becomes public ground.That is why they close down Rockefella centre every so often,so it doesn't become public land and remains privatley owned.
I am from Ct too,so I can understand your trust of things buying a new home.
We have property down in florida and we almost bought a home where fences were not allowed.It seems a good thing we didn't.Though I thought if I can't put a fence of my land,then it doesn't feel like it is mine,so we opped out.
I think you need to get a lawyers advice on this but sadly you will be in a situation where you are disliked by both neighbors.
Not pleasant.
As for the "I am glad to are not my neighbor remark" they aren't in your shoes.
Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay