Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 15,026 times

Advertisements

Please bashers stay away. I have a huge decision to make and am having a very hard time making it. I am now living in Idaho taking care of my mother and I will stay here till her passing. I have lived in Clearwater Florida in my past for about 9 years. I have also lived in Winston Salem, Nc for about 5 years. I can honestly say I hated Florida. While living in Florida I was married ( I am now divorced and 67 years old). We lived in a home. I hated Florida because of the year round yard work I had to do, the heat, and I didn't like the flat of the landscape. My circumstances have changed since then. I'm now divorced and if I were to move back to Clearwater, I'd want to live in a Condo or a Townhome, so as far as the yard work....that wouldn't be an issue any longer. One of the reasons why I'm considering Clearwater is because I tend to think I could still find a decent condo/townhome to purchase for under $200K. Also, after living here in Idaho for three years I'm sort of tired of the cold. I keep thinking that when I'm 85 then living in the warmer climate would probably work better for me.....you know not having to drive in the snow. The down side to Florida in general for me is that I'm a person who's mood is run by my surroundings. Does this make sense? I absolutely hate block homes, flat land and am not thrilled with palm trees; so the real thing that would pull me back to Florida is the weather and the lower cost of real estate. Also one of the pros to Florida is that I like the idea of living near a metropolitain area (Tampa).

Now the other place on my list is Winston Salem, North Carolina. The Pro's for that area for me are: I have a dog an a cat; and I do know of places that I could rent at first that would take pets, so i would be an easy move for that reason. I like Winston Salem because the weather isn't harsh either way, cold or hot. I like the mountains near by and I love the architecture of the homes there. They also have four seasons. The cons are: My ex husband lives there and I don' necessarily want to run into him. The real estate is higher there. It is not very close to any metropolitan area.

This is where it gets weird for me. Several times in my life I've visited the New York area...Eastern New York to be exact, also Vermont, and New Hampshire. I can tell you that when I visited those areas I had this overwhelming feeling like I was home. I can't explain that. Each time I visited these areas a calmness came over me like this is where I belonged. I totally realize that it snows so much there, I know that real estate is "WAY" much more expensive, but I do seem to be very intrigued by the whole New England area. One of the things I like about the Northeast is the proximity to New York City, to Boston, To Philadelphia.

Some history on me. I was born and raised in Idaho......left when I was 19. Lived until three years ago in Los Altos Hills, CA for 20 years, then Florida, then Philadelphia, then back to Florida, then to North Carolina, then back to Idaho where I am now. I do not like Idaho at all...so that is out. California is waaaay too expensive for me since I'm retired.

To compound everything I have NO family in any of these places. I don't have much family at all. I am a very independent woman and don't have a problem venturing out on my own. I just don't know what I want to do. This has turned out to be the hardest decision for me. Trying to figure out where I want to spend the rest of my life.

Your thoughts please???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,260,973 times
I'm in a similar situation but sorta in reverse. I live in CT but want to move out when I retire (within a year)--I'd never be able to afford living here post-retirement. I have been thinking of moving to Clearwater/Largo area, but I know no one there and I'm afraid it would be too isolating as I don't make friends easily. I have family in WNYS near Buffalo and a brother in the Syracuse area. I was thinking about temporarily moving back to my home town near Buffalo to hang out with my 85 year old aunt for a year or two before I commit to FL but the area is rather depressed and there aren't nice retirement complexes like one would find in FL. Trying to figure out what I want to do is part of the reason I'm still working!

Cost of living is a big factor as is taxes on pensions which unfortunately, makes the Northeast less than ideal. This graph might be helpful: State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees Judging by this MA (but not the coast!) and NH would be your best bets. PA would also be favorable.

But I have faith that at some point we'll figure it out--when the stars align

Old 04-08-2017, 06:24 AM

350 posts, read 331,231 times
I think you answered your own question...New England area. Could you rent for a year to see if it is truly for you? Best wishes on whatever you decide.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 AM

17,454 posts, read 38,838,370 times
OP, definitely rule out Florida. Based on your post, it is not for you, you will not be happy here.

I agree with those who say try out New England. There are several states you can choose from, and if you contain your search to up there you can probably find something.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 15,026 times
Default Decisions as to what to do??

Thanks for your input.

This has been the second hardest decision I've had to make. One of the reasons why it has been so hard for me to decide is that I'm determined not to move again, once I get to where I'm going. I just don't want to do that anymore. I want to stay put. Any and all input is much appreciated !

Old 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,148,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm in a similar situation but sorta in reverse. I live in CT but want to move out when I retire (within a year)--I'd never be able to afford living here post-retirement. I have been thinking of moving to Clearwater/Largo area, but I know no one there and I'm afraid it would be too isolating as I don't make friends easily. I have family in WNYS near Buffalo and a brother in the Syracuse area. I was thinking about temporarily moving back to my home town near Buffalo to hang out with my 85 year old aunt for a year or two before I commit to FL but the area is rather depressed and there aren't nice retirement complexes like one would find in FL. Trying to figure out what I want to do is part of the reason I'm still working!

Cost of living is a big factor as is taxes on pensions which unfortunately, makes the Northeast less than ideal. This graph might be helpful: State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees Judging by this MA (but not the coast!) and NH would be your best bets. PA would also be favorable.

But I have faith that at some point we'll figure it out--when the stars align
Take Auntie with you, head south, enjoy life. Even if it's temporary.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:15 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,275,990 times
In a 55+ community you would find a lot of people like yourself who have migrated from somewhere else and looking to find new friends. They have clubs that you can join to meet people. These communities can include places with private homes, townhouses and condo apartments. Each place is different. You can "shop" communities all over the country at realtor.com or other sites. We did this on our last 2 moves and it worked well.
You should be easily able to meet your budget in Pinellas county.
NY will beat you up with taxes.

The last time I drove in snow was in 1972, and I still don't miss it.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 101,798 times
I would say based on your post Florida is not the place for you. You sound as if you really liked it in NC, how about a different area in the state so that you won't have to worry about seeing your ex husband? I am currently planning a move from Florida to South Carolina as I've lived here in Florida for 28 years and I'm tired of it for the same reasons you have listed. For me SC offers the saltwater that I love and also everything else I miss out on such as seasons, mountains, and weather cool enough to actually do something other than melt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay