U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 PM

5 posts, read 12,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
first one: credit cards. you simply have to get rid of them, I'll bet you are paying the minimum you'll be in debt forever and with what the interest costs over that time, you cold buy a house. you'd be better off taking a student loan, pay them off, cut them up and you'll have deferred paying them until you graduate. You'll then have just a low interest rate not the double digits, I'm guessing again, that you're paying now.

second red flag: your rent is too high. You can do a bit better. 800-850 would be a significant gain for you.

How much is child care and how much do you earn with the second job? Maybe if you work less you can lower your child care expense. Clothes especially little peoples clothing can be washed by hand in a bucket. wash everything by hand except sheets/towels and put it in the dryer.
If you can get out of your car note without going "upside down" DO IT and get something smaller with a manual. Our VW gives us 30/gal in town.
Kill the cell phone contract and get a prepaid one.
Most importantly it sounds as if you could use some help with managing all this. See if your school offers counseling and get it. Also the Credit counseling that is non profit and thru United way is ok. It will NOT ruin your credit.
Consumer Credit Counseling Services
They can help with all of it.

Thank you.

When I rented there, I was able to pay the rent with my income. Now, I had to take a pay cutt, due to switching positions. My pay dented by about 6K.

I would like to move to an apt for 800, but not only can I NOT afford the move (app fees, depositis, moving costs, etc). The savings of moving "down" would be wasted by paying a deposit. My credit isn't stellar so I'd most likely be paying 1st month rent and a half.

The credit card thing is REALLY over my head. I am in the process of cleaning my credit, and I am doing the snowball affect: Paying the largest one in doubles and the smaller ones at minimum. I only have one that I use (that is at a fairly low balance). The others are gone and I don't use them.

Childcare, I only pay for 8-5 pm at 95 a week, that is dirt cheap. After 5 my family watches him for free. I do tub washes with whites and his uniforms to ensure I don't go over my load allocated. I managed to get my electricity to less than 90 a month and my water is about 20. Thos eare expenses I can control and I do my best to do so.

I've tried CCS and others and frankly I dind't have the money to pay them, so I did some extensive reserach and am on my way to cleaning my credit and living credit free.

I have a fairly inexpensive car , but I am thinking of calling the bank to see what I can do about it. I can't afford to buy a new car (or a used one), and with my schedule bussing is not an option.

Thank you so much for your replies. I have realized that this place is just nto a place where I can live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:00 PM

105 posts, read 132,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Of course, marrying for money is something to consider.. http://bestsmileys.com/money/6.gif (broken link)
Good one lol
but seriously I clip coupons on Sundays! Just watch the ads for specials! Watch restaurants for specials you be surprised how much you can save if you just watch for these!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
I urge you to check out the Share Florida for help with your food bill. You don't have to belong to anything or pay to join.

SHARE is a non-profit organization that builds and strengthens communities through volunteer service while offering savings on high-quality food. Everyone and anyone is welcome to participate in SHARE. There are no income requirements, just a desire to make a positive difference in the world. We encourage our members to donate their time to a worthy cause within the community. Join SHARE today!

Here is a sample of their monthly menus

The Basic Package has a retail value of $36 or more, you pay only $18! The monthly Basic Package contains five frozen meat selections, plus a variety of seven fresh fruits and vegetables.
February Basic Package
3.7 lbs. Chicken Leg Quarters*
1 lb. Chicken Tenderloins*
1 lb. Pollock Fillets*
1 lb. Italian Meatballs*
1 lb. Italian Sausage*
as the "Double Meat" Package.

Plus a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables!

February Produce February Specials
Potatoes (2.5 lbs.)
Cauliflower (1 head)
Onions (1 bag)
Roma Tomatoes (5 each)
Carrots (1 bag)
Oranges (5 each)
Apples (5 each)

Other specials
Deli Meat Box, 6.2 lbs. total weight, $15.00
(4- 8 oz. sliced roast beef, 3- 10 oz. Sliced Honey Turkey, 3- 10 oz. sliced chicken breast, 1- 10 oz. sliced Virginia baked ham)

Pasta Pack, 7 varieties of pasta, $16.00
(13 oz. Cheese Ravioli, 16 oz. Tri-Color Tortellini, 18 oz. Stuffed Manicotti, 18 oz. Stuffed Shells, 12 oz. Sun Dried Tomato Rigatoni, 13 oz. Cheddar Pierogies, 13 oz. Monterey Jack & Swiss Pierogies)

Combo Pack, 4 meats, $11.50
(2- 5 oz. Sirloins Steaks, 2- 4 oz. Boneless Pork Chops, 2- 4 oz. Chicken Breasts, 4- 4 oz. Hamburger Patties)
[/color]

*Indicates 1 of each item sold at Non-Select Sites

SHARE Florida Food Network

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

849 posts, read 3,200,530 times
Talking you're on the right track

but I think you may have called one of the private firms. CCCSFL does take a small fee but it can be negotiated and it's monthly, not a big up front one. What they can do for you is get your interest rate cut and the fees frozen so as long as the card gets a payment every month from them, they do not assess lates or penalties.
Moving: next time you go to the supermarket, get an Apartment Guide. Look for a decent complex and move there. Very few of them take a full mo. deposit and often have specials. It could be as little as $200. What you do if find the place, give notice and then let your current landlord keep the deposit for your last month's rent. You use your up coming month's for the new place. If you have family here, can't they come up with a little money to help you move and save money? Taking a pay cut is a big hit for anybody. Day care is good but your electric is too high. Whht are you running? Do you have your own dryer?? Water, again most complexes are on a shared meter and it's averaged. we have a flat $25 worked into our rent payment. That includes sewer and trash.
the car is the problem. That's what I meant about going upside down. Have you checked insurance? I found a huge difference between GEICO and just about everyone else. WE had 2 accidents that were NOT our faults and nothing happened to our rates. We got excellent service. Now I know you are stressed but be careful and no getting into accidents that are your fault anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomoasBelly View Post
Thank you.

When I rented there, I was able to pay the rent with my income. Now, I had to take a pay cutt, due to switching positions. My pay dented by about 6K.

I would like to move to an apt for 800, but not only can I NOT afford the move (app fees, depositis, moving costs, etc). The savings of moving "down" would be wasted by paying a deposit. My credit isn't stellar so I'd most likely be paying 1st month rent and a half.

The credit card thing is REALLY over my head. I am in the process of cleaning my credit, and I am doing the snowball affect: Paying the largest one in doubles and the smaller ones at minimum. I only have one that I use (that is at a fairly low balance). The others are gone and I don't use them.

Childcare, I only pay for 8-5 pm at 95 a week, that is dirt cheap. After 5 my family watches him for free. I do tub washes with whites and his uniforms to ensure I don't go over my load allocated. I managed to get my electricity to less than 90 a month and my water is about 20. Thos eare expenses I can control and I do my best to do so.

I've tried CCS and others and frankly I dind't have the money to pay them, so I did some extensive reserach and am on my way to cleaning my credit and living credit free.

I have a fairly inexpensive car , but I am thinking of calling the bank to see what I can do about it. I can't afford to buy a new car (or a used one), and with my schedule bussing is not an option.

Thank you so much for your replies. I have realized that this place is just nto a place where I can live.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Somoa, it sounds like you're working hard to get on track. Sorry about the car accident and added bills it brings.

I second the motion about getting rid of the cell phone and going with a prepaid phone. Have you considered getting a trac phone? You only pay for the minutes you use. There are no contracts and no monthly bills and if you get a 600 minute package, you are only paying about 15 cents per minute and that's it. NO monthly fees. Good luck to you and let us know how things are going.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM

Default other good ones in this area are

ATT (cingular) and virgin Mobile. They're great in fact. Same rates and national coverage. You can get a free phone or a very low cost one. I think I got mine for $40 and it came with minutes. It even has a camera and MP3, email, texting etc. but of course you pay for those minutes.

I forgot, don't worry about the car damage. If it drives and won't get you an added violation so what? It's nice to have a pretty car but you have more important things to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Somoa, it sounds like you're working hard to get on track. Sorry about the car accident and added bills it brings.

I second the motion about getting rid of the cell phone and going with a prepaid phone. Have you considered getting a trac phone? You only pay for the minutes you use. There are no contracts and no monthly bills and if you get a 600 minute package, you are only paying about 15 cents per minute and that's it. NO monthly fees. Good luck to you and let us know how things are going.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM

I got rid of my monthly cell phone bill since I rarely used the cell phone. I got a prepaid T-mobile and the unused minutes can be carry forward. I save $40.00 a month just doing that. You can get 1000 minutes for a year for $100.00. Sure beats paying almost $500.00 a year.

I know Jammie and Jessiesma remember, like me.. when no one had a cell phone. http://bestsmileys.com/wink/1.gif (broken link)

Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,484 times
Thanks everyone. The car was undrivable, so I had to get it fixed. I am almost in shock of how much money I don't have. I work in a school (but I work FOR a non profit org.) and I feel bad for looking for another job. But, feeling bad isn't paying my bills so....

Keeper, thank you SO much for the Share information. I would like to vounteer, as I have to volunteer to pay off my ticket for the accident. that deductible in itself killed my finances. I am going to take that class so I won't have any more points on my license.

I never thought of teh prepaid phone thing. My contract isn't up until April of 2009, so I will see if I have to pay the 150 to terminate my contract.

I am in the process of loking for a newer place. My apartment management is informed that I am financially struggling, so I think that they would work with me.

My family is not much of help because we are all struggling. the people who have the money are very TIGHT and unwilling to help and the peole who are willing tohelp don't have the money, so It's kinda a me thing....

Thanks everyone.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:45 AM

I will tell you the Share food is restaurant quality. You can order more than 1 box too. If you have any questions about it, let me know. It is a great deal.

I hope you will consider the advice from Jessiesma, Jammie and I in the spirit is given. I can only speak for myself but I have been through hard times and you don't forget how that feels.

Regarding the cell phone.. if you don't have the lowest plan, see if it would for you. If you are using it as your house phone too, then prepaid may not work. Figure up the minutes you use normally every month and go from there.

Maybe you can downgrade to a 1 bd within the same complex.

Not everything we recommend will work for you but we are just trying to give you ideas.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 AM

Default you will

have to pay the termination but just pay it a little every month what is that? 12-15 a month? you still are saving. Keeper is right but if you get a Virgin Mobile with the free phone (avail. at Target) you get $20 worth of airtime right away and then you can add as little as $10 a month to keep the account active.
Hope you find a better job and while your heart is in the right place don't worry about volunteering right now. Concentrate on that darling little boy first. Althought SHARE doesn't require much so maybe keep it to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomoasBelly View Post
Thanks everyone. The car was undrivable, so I had to get it fixed. I am almost in shock of how much money I don't have. I work in a school (but I work FOR a non profit org.) and I feel bad for looking for another job. But, feeling bad isn't paying my bills so....

Keeper, thank you SO much for the Share information. I would like to vounteer, as I have to volunteer to pay off my ticket for the accident. that deductible in itself killed my finances. I am going to take that class so I won't have any more points on my license.

I never thought of teh prepaid phone thing. My contract isn't up until April of 2009, so I will see if I have to pay the 150 to terminate my contract.

I am in the process of loking for a newer place. My apartment management is informed that I am financially struggling, so I think that they would work with me.

My family is not much of help because we are all struggling. the people who have the money are very TIGHT and unwilling to help and the peole who are willing tohelp don't have the money, so It's kinda a me thing....

Thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or