U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM

105 posts, read 132,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Roberts View Post
Most real estate agents work as a buyer's agent and selling agent. Some of the real estate "team" models, dedicate certain agents to only work with buyer's and certain agents to only work with sellers. The concept is you can do a better job if you focus your processes on one task or another.
I totally agree with that concept, being a Buyers Agent! I think it's a conflict of interest to represent both parties in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,338,112 times
Default We found one but it was a lot of work

We have just finished the "job" of home searching and meeting about 15 different real estate agents in 4 cities.
We looked for 3 months and went to settlement a week ago on a great house at a good price and we had a great agent (not Tampa though, sorry).
While we did not have any truly horrible realtors we have some suggestions for finding the "right" one:
-To get started in an area you don't know well do a little research on your own first by going to realtor.com and putting in some of your parameters (price, amenities you want, etc). This will give you an overview of the area you are looking at. If you see some homes you like call the agent directly. This is the listing agent and they will be very happy to show you the home. Yes it's true they represent the seller first and foremost but we have gotten great buys in the past dealing directly with the listing agent.
They are obliged by law to answer truthfully any question you ask (except how low an offer the seller will accept and really no one knows that until you make an offer).

After you meet an agent they will want to show you more than one home. That's where you separate the good from the bad agents. Are they showing you ONLY their listings? Or are they showing you the listings that fit your needs.
I have found many agents are lazy or greedy and only want to show their own companies listings because they make more money that way.

There are a LOT of homes for sale but there are also a LOT of homes that aren't listed because people think it's not the best time to sell and they don't want a low-ball offer.
We looked and looked and couldn't find the right home UNTIL we found the right realtor. After we ran through all the potential properties on the market (I like to look online and rule out 3/4 of them after reading what they do/don't have before the tiring task of driving around and looking) she started REALLY working by calling other realtors and asking if they had anything not yet listed or people who "would" sell but didn't have it listed. She found our house the day it got listed (an hour before) and we made an offer the same day.
Can you tell we're picky?

Real estate is a people business. I don't like to waste even an hour of my time with someone who is not a good fit for the way I like to do business.
I don't think you can generalize about the best realtor being the one with the most sales although as a seller that's someone I'd like to talk to. To a buyer that doesn't mean as much.

Talk to 3 realtors, ask them the same questions and see what their answers are.
Trust your instincts about whether you like the way they talk to you, whether they listen and show you appropriate houses. I don't think asking for references makes ANY sense, do you think they'll give you bad references?

Oh, big plus-they have to call you back right away, even if they're busy, to at least return your call and say they'll get back to you later. If instead they call the next day they are too busy to do a good job for you. I like "teams" that cover for one another and can get answers when I need them, however our last agent was not a team and she was great.

Buying a new home is exhausting and I'm never going to move again except to assisted living (ha ha) but it's worth it if you get the home you love.

I know everyone says it's a great time to buy because the prices are low but I found it just as hard now as it was 6 years ago (our last move) and price didn't have much to do with it.

Good luck in your search.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,550,948 times
You know, I have worked with the good and the bad. I hate pushy people, too. I have a real estate license (though am relocating to NC in late summer so I'm not soliciting your business or anyone else's ) and always try to be the kind of person who listens to what other people want and to address those needs rather than to try to push someone to my way of thinking--that will only make for VERY unhappy clients and potential clients! I'm not a salesperson, I never could be.

That being said, I think it would be a good idea to see if people on this board would PM you the names of agents they liked and trusted. Also, if you know exactly where you want to live, you can find people who work nearby b/c they'll know the area well.

It *is* a great time to buy, but it is still going to be a lot of work! Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,792,889 times
We have some very good RE agents here on this forum. They take the time to answer questions and offer good advice about different areas of Tampa Bay.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM

203 posts, read 869,251 times
I have an excellent realtor...if you want to know, please msg me as I guess we can't give kudos on here (I always thought we could not complain...but I guess we can't recommend anyone either!!!)

Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,792,889 times
You can DM the OP with your recommendations, however posting realtor names is considered advertising.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 PM

713 posts, read 2,423,048 times
Default I don't like pushy either...

and if you didn't sign a contract, then I don't believe you are stuck with that agent.

A few red flags for buyers or sellers -- If you call an agent and they do not return your call in a few hours, run like hell for if they aren't on top of their game before they get ya, they certainly won't be after they sign you.

For sellers -- Ask about their plan for the listing and promoting of your house. Insist on an open house or several.

For sellers or buyers -- Do not hire one if they do not work weekends! One we had was too busy at the waterpark instead of showing our house. She also let the upgraded sod we invested in the house go to ruin. She cost us dearly. Another agent's phones were down as they didn't connect them for the weekend or did not pay their bills. The creeps are finally out of business as they should be. They've hurt too many people.

For sellers or buyers -- Ask around and see if you can get some real people feedback on the agent you choose. We've had four and our house still hasn't sold. You don't want the misery we've been through.

I could write a book on how not to get stuck with a crappy agent. And yes, the market is tough but if you have a crappy agent, it makes things that much tougher!!

Last edited by House4Sale; 03-30-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 AM

32 posts, read 90,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
We have some very good RE agents here on this forum. They take the time to answer questions and offer good advice about different areas of Tampa Bay.
I will be buying in the Tampa Bay area later in the year.
What are the best questions to ask a buyers agent ?

After 4 weeks you are not happy with the agent.
What are the legal implications if you fire them ?

Can you have more then 1 agent working for you ?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2008, 03:38 PM

7 posts, read 15,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesthesun View Post
I am looking to buy a home within commuting distance from Tampa. Like many, I am from out of town and not familiar with the local area.

So, how can I find an agent that is competent, knows the local area, and will work in the buyer's best interest, not in his/her best interest? Oh - also someone who is honest and will not withhold information that someone buying the property should know about just to make a sale?
I'm in a similar situation. I'm an out-of-town buyer, who was put in touch with a "Buyer's Agent" via a good friend, based on the fact that my good friend works for the same agency in another city.

Now this Florida buyer's agent wants me to sign some sort of agreement with him, which I am disinclined to do. I'm doing a lot of the work on the internet myself, and if I find something not through him, I don't want to pay him. I also have heard he does not have a good reputation, and now I don't know whether to trust my friend or start over and make my own decision based on who is the most helpful.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM

139 posts, read 436,449 times
Ive bought two home, Sold one, and currently selling one and will be looking to be buying soon.

This has been my experience with the 4 agents Ive dealt with. All want you pay as much as you can " not to offend the seller" so they can make the most commission off you.

In this market, its " you have to under price your home to beat out the forcloseures" So they can make commission off you

All just list your home in MLS and show you home from the MLS. You listing agent would love to list and sell your home to make 6% commission instead of 3%.

People that make commission off you may not have your best interest in mind.

I say this as my wife is talking to our realtor and lowing our home price another $25K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay