Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,722 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home within commuting distance from Tampa. Like many, I am from out of town and not familiar with the local area.

Any tips on finding a really good real estate agent?

My first step was to ask an agent where I live if she knew anyone in Tampa and I was referred to someone whom I spoke to on the phone. I didn't like her mannerisms from the start. She was loud, obnoxious and pushy. I am quiet and rather reserved. Not to be rude, I said that I would think about hiring her as my (buyer's) agent and would get back to her.

Instead, she called me again and when I said that I was still thinking about it, she said , no, that she was already my agent - that I had implied it in our prior conversation. I said, no, that I was very explicit in the conversation that there was no (legal) relationship - that I would "think about it." Again, she was very pushy for me to hire her.

So, how can I find an agent that is competent, knows the local area, and will work in the buyer's best interest, not in his/her best interest? Oh - also someone who is honest and will not withhold information that someone buying the property should know about just to make a sale?

Last, but not least, is there somewhere a buyer can check out licensing & credentials, as well as complaints in Florida? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
It seems there are many issue with the local agents if you read all these threads. I have found a female agent who I like the best so far. I can only give you the name if you send me an DM, but I'm not sure if she is also a buyers agent. I met her when I called her about a listing she has and so far is the only one that I like after having dealt with local realtors for years. Sad but true. The other thing is you can call a local title company to find out who has the most closing in the neighbor hood, that should be an agent who does a lot of business.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Depending on where you are looking in the area, we have a couple of good realtors who post on here regularly. All have provided helpful info to posters just asking questions.

If anyone wants to recommend their realtor please do as Bentlebee and send DM

Old 03-07-2008, 06:04 AM

133 posts, read 538,172 times
You can verify licenses and complaints at DBPR: Home Page. I hate to hear you have already started with a bad experience, but there are good people to help you with your purchase.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
Curious if most real estate agents can also serve as Buyer's Agents. I'm interested in looking at the foreclosure process in about 1 1/2 yrs - and its recommended to do it through a Buyer's Agent - one who has experience in the process.

Is buying a foreclosure a common thing for real estate agents?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 AM

133 posts, read 538,172 times
Most real estate agents work as a buyer's agent and selling agent. Some of the real estate "team" models, dedicate certain agents to only work with buyer's and certain agents to only work with sellers. The concept is you can do a better job if you focus your processes on one task or another.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Roberts View Post
You can verify licenses and complaints at DBPR: Home Page. I hate to hear you have already started with a bad experience, but there are good people to help you with your purchase.
Thanks, good website.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 AM

792 posts, read 2,291,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesthesun View Post
I am looking to buy a home within commuting distance from Tampa. Like many, I am from out of town and not familiar with the local area.

Any tips on finding a really good real estate agent?

My first step was to ask an agent where I live if she knew anyone in Tampa and I was referred to someone whom I spoke to on the phone. I didn't like her mannerisms from the start. She was loud, obnoxious and pushy. I am quiet and rather reserved. Not to be rude, I said that I would think about hiring her as my (buyer's) agent and would get back to her.

Instead, she called me again and when I said that I was still thinking about it, she said , no, that she was already my agent - that I had implied it in our prior conversation. I said, no, that I was very explicit in the conversation that there was no (legal) relationship - that I would "think about it." Again, she was very pushy for me to hire her.

So, how can I find an agent that is competent, knows the local area, and will work in the buyer's best interest, not in his/her best interest? Oh - also someone who is honest and will not withhold information that someone buying the property should know about just to make a sale?

Last, but not least, is there somewhere a buyer can check out licensing & credentials, as well as complaints in Florida? Thank you.
Just keep posting here. This website is heavily infested with realtors.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
As a reminder.. it is against the Terms of Service to solicit business via Direct message or email. If any realtor contacts you , please notify me.

Now, that being noted, we have a few realtors who post on here regularly and they follow the ToS. They offer solid advice without the benefit of a contract or sales commisson.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-08-2008 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,979 times
Default Buyer's Agent in Tampa

We too had numerous bad experiences with realtors in Tampa. Our first visit to Tampa started out on a bad note when the realtor (who supposedly made 10 appointments to view homes) did not even bother to show up or call us when we arrived! We were completely stood up and in disbelief!

After that, we met some more characters that we were not interested in doing business with. I posted on this website and found a wonderful realtor who has kept us very well informed and been very helpful over all. It's a difficult situation when purchasing a house from across the country and my husband and I have been very pleased with her help. I can give you more information if you send me a message. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay