Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 11:48 AM

30 posts, read 20,515 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Currently living in Sarasota. Enjoy it here, but thinking of moving on due to the slow pace and older population.

I first thought of moving to Tampa since I'm up in the area frequently. It's younger with more to do. The proximity to great beaches and another great downtown (St. Pete) is a huge draw. And I'd really prefer to stay on this side of the state, as it's what I know.

However, I took a good look at Orlando, and I was shocked at what I can get for my money. There are some beautiful apartments right in Downtown Orlando for about $1,200 per month. I have yet to see anything in Tampa like that, even though I think Orlando's core is more developed and walkable (for now, but Vinik/Gates may change that within the next 5-10 years). Plus, I think Orlando just has way more to do. And it's an even younger city (by median age).

But I'm really trying to give Tampa the benefit of the doubt. If I can make it work, I'd like to see about it.

Does anyone have any real examples of some great 1-br apartments near the core of the city for $1,200/mo or less? Trying to get the best bang for my buck here. I'd love to be able to at least walk to a restaurant or two, a coffee shop, and some entertainment. Not having to jump in my car for every single errand is a plus. That lifestyle is actually something I have with where I'm living in Sarasota, so I'd hate to actually downgrade that part of my life if I move to a bigger city. That's kind of the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish. No sense in moving to a bigger, more developed city if I'm driving even more (in more traffic, no less).

I've seen some places in Tampa that are pretty nice, but they're usually set off in industrial areas that are almost completely undeveloped around the apartment. NoHo Flats on Rome Ave. is a good example of this. It's just this new complex in an otherwise downtrodden and undeveloped, almost industrial, area. There's nothing to walk to nearby, which sucks (unless you like walking along Kennedy Ave., which I do not).

For reference, I'm looking at The Sevens and Steelhouse in Orlando. If someone knows of developments like these in Tampa for a similar price range with similar amenities and nearby attractions, please do let me know. I'm looking to keep it between $1k and $1.2k per month. One bedroom. Newer, if possible. Gret location where one can walk a little bit.

(Please don't turn this into a Orlando vs. Tampa debate. Not interested. City-Data has a city vs. city forum for that.)

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay