Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times

Advertisements

The Carillon region has tons of major employers and is an easy commute from Downtown, once on 275 its never more than 30 minutes to ulmerton unless there's an accident. RJ, Jabil, Tech Data, PODS, HSN, Franklin Templeton just to name a few companies off the top of my head. As for a true downtown that allows its residents to work and play all in one area that does not exist in st pete and does in Tampa which is why almost all younger working people i know either live in and around downtown tampa (which includes channelside) or want to move there, no one in this demographic is looking to move to st pete. Even those i know who work in Carillon commute from south tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 AM

163 posts, read 183,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
As for a true downtown that allows its residents to work and play all in one area that does not exist in st pete and does in Tampa which is why almost all younger working people i know either live in and around downtown tampa (which includes channelside) or want to move there, no one in this demographic is looking to move to st pete. Even those i know who work in Carillon commute from south tampa.
I definitely disagree with the younger demographic not being interested in St. Pete. I know of many younger couples (late 20s/early-to-mid 30's) who choose to live in St. Pete despite both working in Tampa. They are attracted by it's much closer proximity to the beach, affordable housing that is walkable to downtown (at least moreso than Tampa if both parties have strong incomes), and the up-and-coming vibe that it has. I know Tampa has a lot in the works, too, and we would consider moving over there at some point since the schools are so much better in South Tampa, but right now with kids who aren't in school and my husband working in St. Pete, it's a much better fit for our lifestyle and desire for urban living.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
The Carillon region has tons of major employers and is an easy commute from Downtown, once on 275 its never more than 30 minutes to ulmerton unless there's an accident. RJ, Jabil, Tech Data, PODS, HSN, Franklin Templeton just to name a few companies off the top of my head. As for a true downtown that allows its residents to work and play all in one area that does not exist in st pete and does in Tampa which is why almost all younger working people i know either live in and around downtown tampa (which includes channelside) or want to move there, no one in this demographic is looking to move to st pete. Even those i know who work in Carillon commute from south tampa.
Well I don't agree with younger demographic not choosing st.pete...my son and his wife both 30 bought in Historic Kenwood 2 years ago and many of their neighbors seem young(to me)...

Old 05-13-2017, 01:36 PM

526 posts, read 376,773 times
So, if I understand well....St.Pete is more pretty while Tampa is the center of business....St.Pete is for relax while Tampa for money....

Old 05-14-2017, 09:27 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
So, if I understand well....St.Pete is more pretty while Tampa is the center of business....St.Pete is for relax while Tampa for money....
Depending on what you're looking for. I, personally, have no desire to even visit St. Pete.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:48 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
Absolutely, positively correct. STP has a ton of nice restaurants and atmosphere day and night. Downtown Tampa is practically a ghost town when the workerbees head home.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:10 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Depending on what you're looking for. I, personally, have no desire to even visit St. Pete.
Why is that?

Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why is that?
I'm not one for tourist traps and beaches. Everything else that can be found out there can also be found here. Plus, Pinellas County (St. Pete ESPECIALLY) is flooded with tourists and I find the traffic there to be even worse than here.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:20 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I'm not one for tourist traps and beaches. Everything else that can be found out there can also be found here. Plus, Pinellas County (St. Pete ESPECIALLY) is flooded with tourists and I find the traffic there to be even worse than here.
Interesting,which area do you hang out in that does not feel touristy there?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Interesting,which area do you hang out in that does not feel touristy there?
Seminole Heights, mostly. But Downtown and I have my usual spots in Ybor. I wouldn't call South Tampa touristy at all, however I never spend time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay