Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 AM

491 posts, read 468,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
And what you don't understand, and what Publix doesn't understand, is that the grocery ecosystem in Florida has COMPLETELY CHANGED in the past 5-10 years (mass retail, online grocers, grocery delivery, new brick and mortar competitors etc.). Publix has been asleep at the wheel and now they are paying the price. They have failed to improve the quality of their product assortment. They have failed to improve the quality of their store experience. They have failed to lower prices. People are finding there's few reasons to shop at Publix. Sad.

Let me give you an example. My sister has a family of four. She's very wealthy. Once Trader Joe's came in, she stopped going to Publix altogether. She shops exclusively at Costco and Trader Joe's now (she used to shop at Costco and Publix). I tell her "oh I just got back from Publix" and she says things like "can't remember the last time I set foot in a Publix". My sister is a NATIVE FLORIDIAN who grew up with Publix and loves Publix. And she can afford Publix prices. But she says the quality of the food at Trader Joe's and Costco is better than Publix, especially the produce. This is just her opinion (not mine). But I can guarantee to you that like my sister, there's hundreds of thousands if not millions of other people in Florida who think like her and have stopped going to Publix and now shop at XXXXXXYYYYZZZZZZ competitors.

Like I said in another post, Publix's monopoly is over.

Central Market is not a Whole Foods. It's just a grocery chain owned by HEB that imagined what consumers wanted before they knew they wanted it. Central Market predicted consumer trends and innovated when it needed to. They started building grocerants, where half the store is prepared foods. They are booming.
I will agree that Publix does have the disadvantage of stocking overpriced brand name foods that you could get cheaper at Walmart or Target. So, I can't imagine anyone doing all their groceries at Publix, knowing they could easily get the same thing for less elsewhere. And I do like Trader Joe's and they do have good quality food, and unique food offerings. They might even have better fruits and vegetables (I haven't checked those out yet). Most of the Publix in-store brands are just generic offerings of the brand name staples, whereas Whole Foods and Trader Joe's make completely original food concoctions. I guess we'll have to see. I feel like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have a marketing problem. Young, hip people know about it, but not enough people know about it. Too many people drive past them and don't know what they are all about. I think that's one of the biggest issue with Trader Joe's. Also, the good food offerings could also be a turn off for some people who are picky eaters. That's a weird critique to have, but very simple people, who have simpler tastes won't like the weirder food choices. I love the spicy and different flavor offerings, but you'd surprised how many people like the simple and straightforward foods. Still, I agree it's hard to imagine anyone exclusively shopping at Publix. They're not affordable enough, and they don't have enough variety. I just buy few things that are favorite food items, although I do enjoy their Buy One, Get One free sales.

Last edited by clearlevel; 05-03-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 AM

4,442 posts, read 3,753,720 times
Ocala is not my sister, I swear!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 AM

3,231 posts, read 2,071,487 times
Quote:
Ocala is not my sister, I swear!
I'm also not a woman either.

I'm just not a Publix cheerleader, although perhaps my wife and I haven't lived in Florida long enough for sunshine psychosis to have taken hold.

Last edited by OpinionInOcala; 05-03-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 09:27 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,764,503 times
We shop at Publix mostly, there is a Fresh Market nearby but their prices are higher than Publix. Trader Joes is ok for some things, their bread is not the best, and their selection of things is limited. Their prices are OK, not super cheap. They frequently run out of some of the most popular items and remove the sign so you won't notice. I shopped at Lucky's Market and was not all impressed, mostly organic and high prices. Publix is much nicer than Winn Dixie and better prices. We come from Buffalo NY where we shopped at Wegmans which is the Gold Standard for supermarkets, leading in innovation, great fruits, meats, produce and prepared foods. Publix, at least the one we shop at, is not as bad as people make it out to be. We buy many things at Costco (meats,fruits) and supplement from Publix.
I think its difficult to paint Publix with a single brush because they are all over with different aged and sized stores. The ones we have been to are nice but we don't claim to be experts and our experience outside of where we live is limited. I must admit their prepared foods section is extremely limited compared with Wegmans which has large areas to eat what you buy. When my house had a 2 week power failure due to an ice storm I went to Wegmans every night with my laptop and ate, read the paper and ate dinner.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I'm also not a woman either.

I'm just not a Publix cheerleader, although perhaps my wife and I haven't lived in Florida long enough for sunshine psychosis to have taken hold.
The only people who think Publix is great are people who have never seen anything better.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We shop at Publix mostly, there is a Fresh Market nearby but their prices are higher than Publix. Trader Joes is ok for some things, their bread is not the best, and their selection of things is limited. Their prices are OK, not super cheap. They frequently run out of some of the most popular items and remove the sign so you won't notice. I shopped at Lucky's Market and was not all impressed, mostly organic and high prices. Publix is much nicer than Winn Dixie and better prices. We come from Buffalo NY where we shopped at Wegmans which is the Gold Standard for supermarkets, leading in innovation, great fruits, meats, produce and prepared foods. Publix, at least the one we shop at, is not as bad as people make it out to be. We buy many things at Costco (meats,fruits) and supplement from Publix.
I think its difficult to paint Publix with a single brush because they are all over with different aged and sized stores. The ones we have been to are nice but we don't claim to be experts and our experience outside of where we live is limited. I must admit their prepared foods section is extremely limited compared with Wegmans which has large areas to eat what you buy. When my house had a 2 week power failure due to an ice storm I went to Wegmans every night with my laptop and ate, read the paper and ate dinner.
The people who think Publix is great have never set foot in a Wegmans or Mariano's or Central Market or any of the many other better grocery chains.

One of the things Wegmans does so well is it is neither upscale nor downscale. You can buy a 200 dollar cheese and you can buy a 39 cent can of beans. You can peruse 30 different kinds of gourmet mushrooms or you can go in there and buy Kraft Mac & Cheese. You can buy just-made organic sushi and eat it in the restaurant while listening to live jazz, or you can run in there for some Spam and Cheerios.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 PM

491 posts, read 468,591 times
Quote:
The people who think Publix is great have never set foot in a Wegmans or Mariano's or Central Market or any of the many other better grocery chains.

One of the things Wegmans does so well is it is neither upscale nor downscale. You can buy a 200 dollar cheese and you can buy a 39 cent can of beans. You can peruse 30 different kinds of gourmet mushrooms or you can go in there and buy Kraft Mac & Cheese. You can buy just-made organic sushi and eat it in the restaurant while listening to live jazz, or you can run in there for some Spam and Cheerios.
That describes Whole Foods, minus the live jazz and the name brands. I feel like the Whole Foods in Florida are exactly what you're describing when it comes to having 50 different olive bar, 100 different, 100 different, a buffet of international hot foods and all kinds of meats on display. Whole Foods already has that, and they're having a hard time expanding. It's popular, but it can only get so popular within an area. Whole Foods could not be as big as Publix, because not enough people like these sorts of foods. There are too many picky eaters. As I said, currently Publix tactic is to build stores (even if they're the smaller concept stores with minimal offerings) in every corner. There are more Publix than McDonald's. There are like 5 Publix within a 3 mile radius in a city in Florida. There is a convenience factor.

I just don't know that having a grocery store like Wegmans could be something that is as popular as Publix. It's like Costco. It's a great experience and great to shop there once a week or even once a month to get your supplies. but for most people, it's gonna be a long drive to their, since it's not profitable to build too many of them, the way Publix builds them. Publix has perfected the art of the smaller concept stores so well.

Wegmans does look cool though. I do welcome new innovations into the grocery store world. I would love to see new concepts, I agree that we can do better than what we have now.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
That describes Whole Foods, minus the live jazz and the name brands. I feel like the Whole Foods in Florida are exactly what you're describing when it comes to having 50 different olive bar, 100 different, 100 different, a buffet of international hot foods and all kinds of meats on display. Whole Foods already has that, and they're having a hard time expanding. It's popular, but it can only get so popular within an area. Whole Foods could not be as big as Publix, because not enough people like these sorts of foods. There are too many picky eaters. As I said, currently Publix tactic is to build stores (even if they're the smaller concept stores with minimal offerings) in every corner. There are more Publix than McDonald's. There are like 5 Publix within a 3 mile radius in a city in Florida. There is a convenience factor.

I just don't know that having a grocery store like Wegmans could be something that is as popular as Publix. It's like Costco. It's a great experience and great to shop there once a week or even once a month to get your supplies. but for most people, it's gonna be a long drive to their, since it's not profitable to build too many of them, the way Publix builds them. Publix has perfected the art of the smaller concept stores so well.

Wegmans does look cool though. I do welcome new innovations into the grocery store world. I would love to see new concepts, I agree that we can do better than what we have now.
Whole Foods does not sell Kraft Mac & Cheese, Spam or Cheerios. Or Tide or Oreos for that matter.
Whole Foods sells only upscale and natural products.

Wegmans sells upscale, downscale and natural. Everything. Publix fails in that regard. So does Whole Foods for that matter.

Finally, Wegmans is nothing like Costco.

You need to spend some time flying all over the country visiting retailers like I do, and get back to me.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-03-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM

6,276 posts, read 4,764,503 times
Wegmans is nothing like Whole Foods. Whole Foods is mostly natural and organic. They basically invented that category of store. They appeal to a less price conscious consumer. They have an excellent prepared foods section. Wegmans carries the national brands plus their own high quality reasonably priced store brands. They are competitively priced even with Walmart nearby. By carrying so much prepared foods and house brands they managed to stay competitive. Their prepared food section is similar to Whole Foods but with more bakery choices and meals to take home and cook. Your can buy a entree and 2 sides for less than $10 to take home or heat it up and eat it there at the Cafe in the supplied microwave. Wegmans has an extensive Organic food selection but nothing like Whole Foods. I could shop at Wegmans and never need another store but I could not say the same for Whole Foods.
I will sum it up this way. Wegmans is a supermarket that evolved into a high quality exceptional well run, current and innovative enterprise. Whole Foods is a niche organic food store that evolved into a quasi supermarket.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,006 times
Does not surprise probably one of the worst run grocery chains around. Kroger is boring as well but at least it is run well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay