U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 06:01 AM

74 posts, read 35,327 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Carrollwood Area. Please share interesting insight about the area. I'm coming from a location where we love our community-bike trails, hiking trails, easy to walk or bike to excellent local shopping schools....

I saw some of these things in the Carrollwood area...so we went with it. Please let us know what to look fwd to...Here are a few interests...I will be living around Bearrs and Dale Mawbry corner of that area.

-hiking
-biking
-shopping
-public transportation??
-wholistic practitioners
-yoga
-parks
-distance to closes beach
-best route to Sarasota
-what highway exits to avoid

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,696,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingm View Post
-hiking
-biking
None

Quote:
-shopping
Tons. There's the Target plaza on Bearss and Dale Mabry, there's the Publix plaza on Bearss and Dale Mabry, there's the Ale House plaza on Bearss and Dale Mabry, there's the tons of plazas on Dale Mabry between Bearss and Fletcher, Citrus Park mall is maybe 10 minutes away, University Mall isn't too terribly far either.

Quote:
-public transportation??
What's that?

Quote:
-wholistic practitioners
No idea. I stay away from the crazies.

Quote:
-yoga
I'm sure it exists somewhere.

Quote:
-parks
Not familiar with that end of Carrollwood.

Quote:
Closest beach would probably be Cypress Park... Maybe?

Quote:
-best route to Sarasota
There's like two. The best is over the Sunshine Skyway.

Quote:
Is this a serious question?

Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 AM

578 posts, read 373,920 times
Shopping - Sprouts and Whole Foods are close by.
Transportation - you're close by the mini bus (route 572 I believe) that runs down to Fletcher and up to St. Joseph's hospital North.
Parks - Lake Park right up Dale Mabry north. Nice hiking trails. Just stay away from the closed off part where the sinkhole is/was.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:41 AM

106 posts, read 71,145 times
Watch out for all the beggars. Now they do it with the whole family. I have seen them recently by the shopping plaza where Tijuana flats is, the shopping plaza in front of Lowe's, the shopping plaza at the Publix by Fletcher, at the Fresh Market plaza and at the Target shopping plaza. HCSO are quick to respond, but there are so many that your kids will notice.

There is also a growing network of homeless people in the area. Some don't look like they are, but you will see them discretely look into trash cans at gas stations. Just saw two of them at the shell on handy rd and the new one at bearss. Living near the same intersection you mentioned (SW of Dale Mabry and Bearss) for the las 3 years, everything is convenient but there is a deterioration of the crowds in the area that I personally experienced in the early 1990's in Town N Country. The only difference is that you have more established neighborhoods here with higher dollar value, but the rest Is ripe for the taking.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 AM

74 posts, read 35,327 times
Thanks for the feedback-sacracsm was interesting.
We are coming from out of state-so I will interpret the sarcasm as a negative for the question at hand.
There's no other way to know, not being from Tampa.

All, thanks for the other insight......

Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM

697 posts, read 424,153 times
Carrollwood is a decent, low-crime area with gobs of retail stores, strip plazas, and restaurants up and down N. Dale Mabry Hwy. The typical demographic is a lot of middle-class and upper-middle-class white people with a few millionaire-next-door types mixed in. Plenty of shopping including trophy-wife type activates like boutique gyms (prolly with yoga), spas, pet grooming, etc. As far as beggars and panhandlers go, they will be around no matter where you stay at.

The best way to get to Sorrysota is to head south on I-275, but it will take you a while to get down there depending on traffic, prolly 2 hours. The better beaches are in Pinellas County and could be an hour+ drive (or more if traffic is bad). For hiking, look into a place called Lettuce Lake Park which is prolly a good 8-10 miles away from the Carrollwood area, I believe. They have a $2 vehicle entrance fee, but it's a nice park with kayak and canoe rentals. As far as what highway exits to avoid, there's really nothing in particular. What do you mean by this? Like where's the high-crime neighborhoods at?

Last edited by Concert D Major; 05-21-2017 at 03:08 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 02:58 PM

697 posts, read 424,153 times
For bicycling, the Tampa Bay area and Florida overall is notorious for its high rate of pedestrian and bicycle accidents and fatalities. It is hard to find a safe place to ride. And you will have constant interruptions from busy intersections, cars pulling in-and-out of business, drivers harassing and yelling at you, and our rainy season which has just started. Walkability is mostly out of the question, as places tend to be spread out, roads and intersections are often pedestrian unfriendly, and the heat and rainy season make it unenjoyable.

Florida's bike death rate highest in nation

Bruce B. Downs Blvd. has a nice paved walk/running/bike path about 2 miles long with almost no interruptions. Al Lopez Park has a paved trail that could also make for a nice leisurely bike ride. But for serious cycling (like doing centuries, half-centuries, etc.), I wouldn't know where to go.

Public transit is notoriously lacking as well. We do have a county bus system, but its not very good. Other than that, there's basically no public transit, no trains, subways, or whatever. Our state government is very right-wing conservative will prolly never want to spend the cash it would take to improve it. I used to ride the PSTA busses in Pinellas County and it royally sucked. It basically takes forever to get anywhere. You really need a car to get around and car insurance is very expensive in Florida.

Tampa Bay has one of the worst public transit systems in America. Here’s why.

Limited transit in Tampa Bay leaves some riders struggling

Our busses tend to be used mainly by the working poor, disabled, medical problems, mentally ill, those with a criminal traffic history (no driver's license), or can't afford a car with insurance (although Florida is known for a high rate of driving illegally with no insurance). Another problem is how frequently busses break down and have to be swapped out while you wait.

Last edited by Concert D Major; 05-21-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 04:16 PM

15,194 posts, read 31,137,880 times
Quote:
I'm moving to the Carrollwood Area. Please share interesting insight about the area. I'm coming from a location where we love our community-bike trails, hiking trails, easy to walk or bike to excellent local shopping schools....

I saw some of these things in the Carrollwood area...so we went with it. Please let us know what to look fwd to...Here are a few interests...I will be living around Bearrs and Dale Mawbry corner of that area.

-hiking
-biking
-shopping
-public transportation??
-wholistic practitioners
-yoga
-parks
-best route to Sarasota

Thanks!
OP, I am so sorry you are getting so many sarcastic, trollish reponses. Sadly this forum seems to have more than its share of unhappy miserable people.

I don't live in Tampa anymore, but was born and raised there and Carrollwood is one of my favorite parts of Tampa. There is lots of shopping nearby, and you aren't really far from any of the activities you want to do. I live in Sarasota now, and it is pretty easy to get here either on I-75 or 275 and Skyway. Sarasota is also a beautiful area with all of the things you are interested in. I don't know what you mean about the highway exits, I guess that depends where you need to travel. Anyway, I don't think you will be sorry moving to Carrollwood.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2017, 05:10 PM

150 posts, read 345,698 times
As for biking, right down the road about 3 miles on Bearss Ave, which turns into Ehrlich Rd west of North Dale Mabry, is the Upper Tampa Bay Trail which is a beautiful biking and hiking trail. They also developed a small conservation area at the beginning of the trail. There is a small dirt parking lot before the trail, which is directly before Ballyhoos Restaurant, and there is also parking in the rear, all free. That trail is about 6 miles, so a loop is 12.
For more serious biking, I go to the Suncoast Trail. Hop on Veteran's Highway (tolls about $1.25 one way) off Hutchinson, and either park at Lutz Lake Fern trailhead, or Highway 54. That is $2 to park, or $60 for the year pass, which also gets you into (Pasco) parks for free. That trail is about 40 miles long north to south, and on the west side, about 4 miles from Highway 54 trailhead, is the entrance to Jay Starkey Wilderness Park (6.5 miles, so 13 mile loop), but we just had a huge wildfire there and it was shut, not sure of the status right now. If the fire was near the trails, it will grow over eventually, but will be blackened for this season minimum.
Another option is the Pinellas Trail, which starts in Tarpon Springs and runs all the way to St. Petersburg. That has a lot of foot traffic, so it's not for speed, but it is fun. I personally don't go past Clearwater; there have been a few robberies further south of that.
Also, there is Lake Park, which is north on North Dale Mabry about 3 miles north. That is a nice walking park. I don't go often but I think it's $2 to park, but you can get an annual pass for that as well.
Good Luck, welcome to the area.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,751,648 times
I've lived in Carrollwood for eight years and have been very hapy with the decision to move here. As far as hiking goes, there isn't much to compare withthe hiing that I am used to up north, but there are a number of nice parks accessible. In particular, Lettuce Lake Park is beautiful and nearly in the Temple Terrace Area. Tehre are lots of nice trails, caoe rentals and great opportunities ofr wildlife viewing. I greatly prefer it over the closer Lake Park. As another posterr mentioned, biking here is a little dodgy. I used to bike to work until my third near accidident that could easily have been fatal. I don't do it as regularly as I did anymore, certainly not as much as elsewhere. Please note this is not a Carrollwood thing - it's a Tampa thin. But the Suncoast Trail is great - you just have to hook the bike up and make a short drive. However, it's a little hellish in the summer due to limited shade.

There is a lot of shopping either in or near the area. You will find your basics within Carrollwood itslef and lots of easily accessible malls (Citrus Park, International Plaza, etc.) nearby. For triendier shops you need to go a little outside the area such as South Tampa or St. Pete, but you don't need those on a daily basis.

I have used public transportation in previous "lives" in Boston, San Francisco, metropolital Philadelphia, etc., but ot her so I can't really speak to it from personla expeirnce. But my semse is that it is really lacking in te convenience and useability that I experienced in those other cities. I chose not to have a car in those other cities becuase public transportation was a good option - not so here. I have the sense it is used by people for whom private transportation is not an option. Again, this is not specific to Carrollwood, but to the Tampa area generally.

The closest beach? I don't go all that often but I would say 45 minutes to an hour and a half depending on traffic.

Sarasota? There are basically two routes, 75 and 275, and it basically depends on your preferences. We usually go 275 because we like going over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

Exits to avoid? I'm not sure there are any that are better or worse than others in the area.

Good luck - it is a good area. You have everything you need here, and the homes and neighborhoods are older and more established than many in the area. I don't have kids, but I understand the schools are good. And I believe it is convenience to things, although others have challenged this view on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or