Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 04:47 PM

170 posts, read 275,398 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Orlando and moved up to NC for a couple of years but i'm ready to move back down to the warm weather. I explored the possibility of moving to Fort Lauderdale but it just wasn't for me.

I work from home so I have no limitations as to which part of Tampa/St Pete I can live in as far as a "commute".

It's just me so i'd be perfectly fine with a 1 bedroom apartment but wouldn't mind a 2nd bedroom to be used as a guestroom. Either condo or townhouse since i'd rather not have to worry about taking care of the lawn and and like the amenities most condos and townhomes offers. I'd like to stay around $200,000 for a condo as i'm guessing HOA fees will likely be $350-450 per month or $220,000 for a townhouse since HOA fees are a little bit lower. I have a little flexibility in the price for the right place.

My priorities are living in an area with at least a decent level of entertainment nearby, I don't want to have to drive 20+ minutes everytime I want to go to a movie theater. I'd like for the area to be reasonably safe and full of other people in a simila situation as me. Some areas have mostly college kids, retirees, or mostly families...those are the areas i'd probably like to avoid.

I did a bit of research and Channelside seems like a good place although things are right around the top end of my budget. I was thinking downtown St Pete but looking at property values, the homes on the market right now, and the crime map it doesn't look very appealing (maybe I have the wrong impression).

I'm probably looking to move during the first quarter of 2010 so 6-9 months away. I've spent some time in Tampa but never really paid attention to where a good place to live is since I was just going to the beach or Mons Venus. I'll be in town for a few days next month and plan on exploring the area a bit.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 PM

80 posts, read 81,530 times
Just do your do diligence about the HOA's finances and owner/renter ratios. 2 things that can turn a community upside down special assesments tack onto HOAS and too many owners renting out units makes it harder to sell later on a tougher to control occupant behavior ie. Picking up after there dogs, parking, noise, ect.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:17 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,078,831 times
Downtown St Pete - or close as you can get - your budget is a little low for there. If you are looking to finance, unless the HOA is in good shape it may not be approved for a loan, they are still very fidgety about that. Or Soho Channelside areas of Tampa. almost everywhere else is mixed use if you will - all ages from young families to retirees. Crime is always on folks' minds, but in any large urban area you are going to get that. Just steer clear of the very low price property areas, thats a bit of a clue at times, but a good realtor will help you there.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 AM

I am a homeowner currently in a large city and we have a HOA. Since both of you brought up the issues with HOAs is there something special about the Tampa area and HOAs? Lots of problems???

Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 PM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Either the Westshore district or downtown. Downtown more for its future, Westshore for its present.

Downtown should be, hopefully, booming with development once "Vinikville" is off and running. Now would be a good time to invest.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Not to sound ignorant but what is "Vinikville"?

Old 05-25-2017, 04:25 PM

Vinikville: a healthy place to live and work | The Oracle

Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM

149 posts, read 145,224 times
I'm 30 and I live in westchase. I would never go anywhere else

Old 05-27-2017, 05:10 PM

So I just looked at the map and Westchase is a bit outside Tampa past Town N Country. What makes westchase attractive for a 30 year old single person?

Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
So I just looked at the map and Westchase is a bit outside Tampa past Town N Country. What makes westchase attractive for a 30 year old single person?
Nothing. Westchase is nice, but it is a somewhat bland suburb that caters mostly to young families. Westchase is overpriced and offers little in the way of single nightlife.

You're young and single. Trust me. Westshore or downtown, maybe Hyde Park or SoHo too. Skip Westchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay