Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyb2013 View Post
Florida churns out plenty of educated graduates each year - The University of Florida is ranked among the top universities in the world and is one of the five largest universities in the US. Those graduates all have to go somewhere to work, and they could come here if there were decent jobs with salaries that were consistent with the national market. The Tampa Bay area needs to do more to attract flagship employers that would keep those graduates in Florida and attract them to this area. They would buy/rent all the condos being built up now, and eventually buy the homes as the baby boomers age out of them. They would patronize restaurants and keep them busy during the low season. In my opinion, the Tampa Bay area has more to offer new graduates than any other area of Florida but is just lacking in employment opportunities.

I know that a large problem we have, especially in Pinellas, is lack of space for office parks, but there are plenty of areas downtown St. Pete that could be developed into a mixed use high rise of retail on bottom and office space on top. The City needs to partner with a large employer to offer incentives and commit to providing space. One more big employer that attracted hundreds of recent graduates each year could change the entire trajectory of St. Pete.
Yes, they do.

A lot of those graduates go out of state. I can think of two who are recent graduates, one is in Denver, the other in NY.

When they have to start paying those student loans back, they need to be in areas where they can make a good salary.

That's not Tampa or FL. Professions like nurses and teachers are among the lowest paid in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes, they do.

A lot of those graduates go out of state. I can think of two who are recent graduates, one is in Denver, the other in NY.

When they have to start paying those student loans back, they need to be in areas where they can make a good salary.

That's not Tampa or FL. Professions like nurses and teachers are among the lowest paid in the nation.
In another post on here someone said to me that is why here in FL you see so many vacant business and small retail spaces because jobs don't pay good here so people try opening up their own business and end up failing. Any truth to that? I do notice a lot of vacant spaces here.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Hmm... We don't fall in the bottom 10...

The 10 lowest paying states for Nurses | Nurse Stories

Top 10 Best and Worst States to Be a Nurse - Nursing Link

Or bottom 5 for teachers...

States where teachers earn the lowest salaries - Business Insider

10 States That Pay Teachers the Highest (and Lowest) Salaries

But we are number 16 on top starter cities for college grads...

Best 'starter cities' for college grads

Old 06-15-2017, 08:15 PM

What areas of the Tampa metro? Many areas, decent areas are unaffordable for younger people. Who wants to live in a dicey area that is affordable? Even in Pasco county those homes are getting expensive they're building. I got family up there. That is why I'm down here in Charlotte county and not up there.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:54 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
What areas of the Tampa metro? Many areas, decent areas are unaffordable for younger people. Who wants to live in a dicey area that is affordable? Even in Pasco county those homes are getting expensive they're building. I got family up there. That is why I'm down here in Charlotte county and not up there.
Once again, if jobs are so bad, and housing is so unaffordable, then the overwhelming majority of us in Tampa are living in poverty?

http://www.city-data.com/poverty/pov...a-Florida.html

This shows that roughly 75% of us are doing just fine.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM

163 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
I think this area is very affordable for recent college graduates who make a decent salary (i.e. - starting at over $50K/year). The problem is the low wages and lack of jobs. There seem to be plenty of jobs that do not require a college degree (construction, hospitality and tourism, etc.), but not so great jobs for motivated college graduates with business degrees or MBAs, which makes up a huge portion of the millennial population in places like Charlotte where they can get great jobs at banks and accounting firms making $75K+/year right out of school. Young people with no degree, or with a worthless liberal arts degree like I had before I went to graduate school, aren't making a lot of $$ anywhere unless they're in the service industry (thus not using their degrees), so the Tampa Bay area is really no exception for that crowd.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I think this area is very affordable for recent college graduates who make a decent salary (i.e. - starting at over $50K/year). The problem is the low wages and lack of jobs. There seem to be plenty of jobs that do not require a college degree (construction, hospitality and tourism, etc.), but not so great jobs for motivated college graduates with business degrees or MBAs, which makes up a huge portion of the millennial population in places like Charlotte where they can get great jobs at banks and accounting firms making $75K+/year right out of school. Young people with no degree, or with a worthless liberal arts degree like I had before I went to graduate school, aren't making a lot of $$ anywhere unless they're in the service industry (thus not using their degrees), so the Tampa Bay area is really no exception for that crowd.
I got a business degree and also took some courses for an MBA but put that on break because the cost was getting too high.

I try to steer people away from business degrees unless you want to be an accountant or plan on getting an MBA from the top tier schools. There are simply way too many business degrees now, especially like here in FL when you got a lot of service jobs and not enough business minded corporate jobs for the number of applicants. Think of the thousands and thousands of graduates colleges pump out with business degrees each year and then the number of positions available.

Here in SWFL a business degree is useless. You need to get something in medical for example. I have to wonder what the number of applicants are in places like Orlando, Tampa, Miami for business job listings.

Business degrees are now a dime a dozen. Something in a technical field or healthcare IMO is the way to go. Here in FL we need doctors and nurses bad. Even though people here say nursing doesn't pay as good in FL, it still pays okay and you can get overtime in a lot of cases too and make a nice paycheck.

If you're going for an MBA I'd even say to try and get on as a full-time professor at a community college teaching business classes. Many community colleges don't require a Dr. or PHD degree to be full-time and still make okay money and get a ton of days off and don't have to deal with high school students who misbehave.

I wish I didn't get a business degree and went into a skilled trade. Seems easier to be skilled in a trade and start your business too or do side work and make good money.

Florida needs skilled tradesmen bad here but the problem is cheap labor seems to dominate and we get sub par work. You should see the quality of work going into the new construction around here with the new houses. It's embarrassing.

The *******s and country club Republicans look down on the trade industry but many of them people make more money than people with college degrees and good ones go on to start their own businesses.

Trump is wanting to start apprentice programs to get more people into these fields. Welding is another decent paying one too and in really high demand in certain areas.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:36 PM

163 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
I try to steer people away from business degrees unless you want to be an accountant or plan on getting an MBA from the top tier schools. There are simply way too many business degrees now, especially like here in FL when you got a lot of service jobs and not enough business minded corporate jobs for the number of applicants. Think of the thousands and thousands of graduates colleges pump out with business degrees each year and then the number of positions available.

Here in SWFL a business degree is useless. You need to get something in medical for example. I have to wonder what the number of applicants are in places like Orlando, Tampa, Miami for business job listings.
This is exactly my point - if there were decent paying business-oriented jobs here, business degrees wouldn't be worthless. Good jobs would change everything! And for people who feel that we're overcrowded already, there is absolutely room for more upstanding citizens who will establish real roots here, pay taxes, improve their properties, send their kids to the schools, and buy the homes of the baby boomers as they age out of this market.

I also have nothing against learning a trade, but think it would be best coupled with some business/marketing knowledge so someone could start their own business and run it efficiently. If my sons don't go into the engineering or medical fields, I'll encourage them to learn a trade in high school, work in that trade while getting a business or accounting degree, and then start a business practicing their trade of choice and eventually hire others to do the hard labor.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
This is exactly my point - if there were decent paying business-oriented jobs here, business degrees wouldn't be worthless. Good jobs would change everything! And for people who feel that we're overcrowded already, there is absolutely room for more upstanding citizens who will establish real roots here, pay taxes, improve their properties, send their kids to the schools, and buy the homes of the baby boomers as they age out of this market.

I also have nothing against learning a trade, but think it would be best coupled with some business/marketing knowledge so someone could start their own business and run it efficiently. If my sons don't go into the engineering or medical fields, I'll encourage them to learn a trade in high school, work in that trade while getting a business or accounting degree, and then start a business practicing their trade of choice and eventually hire others to do the hard labor.
I do have to wonder 10-20 years what will happen when many of these boomers die out or go into nursing homes. Will this cause our market to crash down when we got too many homes for sale?

All I know is my generation might be screwed. Since we have less jobs that offer pensions, high pay. The average person doesn't even stay on the job that long now before switching jobs.

The people in their late 50s to 80s had it easy when it was easier to find a GOOD job and retire with a lot of money or try and start a business if they wanted to.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
[quote=MOforthewin;48527001]I do have to wonder 10-20 years what will happen when many of these boomers die out or go into nursing homes. Will this cause our market to crash down when we got too many homes for sale?

All I know is my generation might be screwed. Since we have less jobs that offer pensions, high pay. The average person doesn't even stay on the job that long now before switching jobs.

The people in their late 50s to 80s had it easy when it was easier to find a GOOD job and retire with a lot of money or try and start a business if they wanted to.[/QUOTE

MOforthewin If you want a good paying job look to move north or west, learn a skilled trade most skilled tradesmen in the north are union so they get paid very well. These are the people who retire and move to Florida they made their money 💰 in the north so what's stopping you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay