Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 04:11 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Lawyers? They make like $40k working for the Public Defender.
Also very overworked usually too. Not much when you figure they're probably working over 50 hours a week or more since it's not like a regular 40 hr job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Like i said if you know anything about florida real estate you understand that many buyers are not traditional buyers and not local working people. It's the most non traditional real estate market in the country where many buyers are part time residents, retirees and investors of every imaginable variety. This is also what leads to our crashes as prices are artificially driven up since so many buyers are not local working people dependent on the tampa job market. To draw any parallel between a Tampa Bay real estate building boom and the local job market is inaccurate at best.
I'm almost 100 miles to the south. The people moving to my county are old, retired people. I believe it's the oldest average age in the state. Hell the school system in my county is laying teachers off because enrollment went down by 2,000 despite the overall population growth.

It's not working age people here in SWFL. Other than healthcare, everything is service based around here which is low pay, low skilled work. Tampa at least has a more diverse job market than here in SWFL. The jobs here are terrible and many have to work two jobs due to the low pay and lack of quality jobs.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Yeah, their pro bono hours are already built into their normal work schedule. Because who needs any silly recognition awards?

Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
Yeah, their pro bono hours are already built into their normal work schedule. Because who needs any silly recognition awards?
So if you figure up all the hours they work, it's probably like making $10 an hour.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:56 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Might as well get an accounting degree and become a CPA.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Hi,
I live on long island and was wondering how the Tampa bay job market is doing? I am a certified medical assistant and I also work with people who have developmental disabilities. I have worked in sales previously as well. Would love any advice on the job market there. Also can anyone tell me good parts of the Tampa bay area to find good jobs? I have a friend who said try Oldsmar, St Petersburg and of course Tampa. Would love any advice. Thank you so much.
First place i'd look=https://results.searchlock.com/searc...le&chnm=js_270

Old 06-05-2017, 05:36 PM

490 posts, read 583,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'm almost 100 miles to the south. The people moving to my county are old, retired people. I believe it's the oldest average age in the state. Hell the school system in my county is laying teachers off because enrollment went down by 2,000 despite the overall population growth.

It's not working age people here in SWFL. Other than healthcare, everything is service based around here which is low pay, low skilled work. Tampa at least has a more diverse job market than here in SWFL. The jobs here are terrible and many have to work two jobs due to the low pay and lack of quality jobs.
It doesn't have to be low skilled either. Unless you own your own company you will make less here. A welder for instance, or any skilled trades person can expect lower wages without much of a raise if one stays and awful benefits.

I remember when I came here just out of high school and worked construction the supervisor told me that 5.25 a hr low skilled labor job I had was only part of my pay the other was sunshine, along with the incredible heat, sun and humidity doing that back breaking work. That same job 20 yrs later pays 8 -9.00 a hr, some times 10.00. If you stay between lay offs, after 12-15 yrs you may be up to 15 a hr, crap benefits.

Even with training and acquired skills most of my friends topped out at about 26 K a yr with over time. They left. Again that was about 18 yrs ago, not much has changed except the cost of living. That went up a bit more.
I just left construction going into another field but never found success working for any local company regarding wages or benefits. I was lucky in finding a employer in Atlanta that allowed me to live here if I wanted.

There is a reason why there are hundreds of vacant strip malls and ugly vacant small warehouses , industrial parks in Florida. many people that stay try their hand at their own business because you can't get very far working for most here.

However I think this trend has spread to a lot of areas in the USA as wages are (HAVE BEEN) stagnant or declining.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
It doesn't have to be low skilled either. Unless you own your own company you will make less here. A welder for instance, or any skilled trades person can expect lower wages without much of a raise if one stays and awful benefits.

I remember when I came here just out of high school and worked construction the supervisor told me that 5.25 a hr low skilled labor job I had was only part of my pay the other was sunshine, along with the incredible heat, sun and humidity doing that back breaking work. That same job 20 yrs later pays 8 -9.00 a hr, some times 10.00. If you stay between lay offs, after 12-15 yrs you may be up to 15 a hr, crap benefits.

Even with training and acquired skills most of my friends topped out at about 26 K a yr with over time. They left. Again that was about 18 yrs ago, not much has changed except the cost of living. That went up a bit more.
I just left construction going into another field but never found success working for any local company regarding wages or benefits. I was lucky in finding a employer in Atlanta that allowed me to live here if I wanted.

There is a reason why there are hundreds of vacant strip malls and ugly vacant small warehouses , industrial parks in Florida. many people that stay try their hand at their own business because you can't get very far working for most here.

However I think this trend has spread to a lot of areas in the USA as wages are (HAVE BEEN) stagnant or declining.
Obama said the recession was over though! BS.

I currently work one of those low end service jobs because it's all I can find. I want to start my own business within the next year hopefully. I know a lot about retail but that cost a lot of money to get going. My parents wont take out a loan for me and I don't got enough in the bank or own a house that I could use towards a loan. Thinking of something that is web based that doesn't require thousands and thousands for starting capital and lower risk or going belly up.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM

80 posts, read 81,530 times
Google:

Glassdoor baycare health systems

Look at cma salaries

That will tell you

Old 06-06-2017, 06:35 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
many buyers are part time residents, retirees and investors of every imaginable variety. many buyers are not local working people dependent on the tampa job market. To draw any parallel between a Tampa Bay real estate building boom and the local job market is inaccurate at best.
I doubt these are the majority of people buying houses down here. Yet I am sure you could show me some facts to back up what you say rather then just your opinion. I see and talk to many new homeowners that don't fall into your list. I see more young families then retirees buying into these new subdivisions.
I am man enough to admit being wrong when presented with facts rather then your observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay