Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 PM

686 posts, read 622,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
One problem with Tampa region is the new homes I'm seeing being built are not in line with the local pay scale. When we moved back to FL in 2015 the newer houses in that region were MORE than what they are in many places in Southwest Florida which isn't considered cheap when it comes to housing prices.

I would hope the pay is better in Tampa since it's a major city, but in general everywhere in Florida pays crap and the housing prices are not really in line for what the pay scale is in this state.

I'm just trying to figure out why Florida is known for lousy pay. I know employers today in general are cheap, but why do Florida employers take the low pay to the extreme? Housing and cost of living keeps going up in Florida.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 02:19 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I know that phrase, but warmer areas such as Houston, San Antiono, Austin all pay better than Florida.

While California is expensive, the jobs generally out there do pay much better even though it doesn't totally offset the cost. There are some areas in south FL that have cost nearly as much as California, yet they don't have increase in wages to help much.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:29 PM

686 posts, read 622,158 times
Quote:
I know that phrase, but warmer areas such as Houston, San Antiono, Austin all pay better than Florida.

While California is expensive, the jobs generally out there do pay much better even though it doesn't totally offset the cost. There are some areas in south FL that have cost nearly as much as California, yet they don't have increase in wages to help much.
Because people accept those jobs/wages to live there.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,843 times
Quote:

I don't think Texas cities are an even comparison. How far are they from a good beach, scenic areas, good weather (Texas cities get more freezing temps than Florida). I guess that is subjective. But I think you move to Texas for cheaper cost of living and jobs. Don't think people moving to Florida have the same mindset.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out why Florida is known for lousy pay. I know employers today in general are cheap, but why do Florida employers take the low pay to the extreme? Housing and cost of living keeps going up in Florida.
Employers pay what the market is to get employees to do the work needed for the job. We post an add for a job. We get people to respond to the add. We discuss a wage to do the job needed. They accept or we keep looking. If we get nobody willing to do the job for the wage offered we increase our compensation.
Its all about the market my friend.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I don't think Texas cities are an even comparison. How far are they from a good beach, scenic areas, good weather (Texas cities get more freezing temps than Florida). I guess that is subjective. But I think you move to Texas for cheaper cost of living and jobs. Don't think people moving to Florida have the same mindset.
I was thinking of younger people who are working age. Most of the people I meet here who just move here moved here to retire. Ones I run into who are working were transferred to Florida for a job.

I have met some who moved here that are older but still working age and want to work a few more years but they end up retiring or just finding a part-time job to stay busy because their field pays so low down here it's not worth it.

At my job I have a retired guy from KY just move here. He was a computer tech in KY with his own business at one point too. The tech jobs down here pay much lower than KY he said so he decided hell with it and just retired and work part-time for a couple days a week.

Texas, the big cities while yea some of them get cold, they still have a tolerable climate such as Houston which has the same climate as Tallahassee basically except hotter in the summer. Those cities are attracting working people and companies in the oil and tech industry and are growing.

I think you're right though the reasons people move to Texas and Florida.

One thing about Texas when my parents looked in the major cities there is that the property taxes are much higher than Florida and homeowners insurance too due to all the flooding and tornadoes they've had the last few years.

Dallas tends to get ice storms and tornadoes but I'm thinking the major cities to the south that have the same climate as north Florida basically.

Notice Florida especially the southern half of the state is marketed towards the older crowd.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Employers pay what the market is to get employees to do the work needed for the job. We post an add for a job. We get people to respond to the add. We discuss a wage to do the job needed. They accept or we keep looking. If we get nobody willing to do the job for the wage offered we increase our compensation.
Does being a Right to Work State come into play?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:55 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Does being a Right to Work State come into play?
When you use that term, are you referring to organized labor, or "at will" employment?

If you're using it to refer to "at will" employment, you're using it incorrectly.

"Right to work" refers to:

Quote:
Right-to-work laws are statutes in 28 U.S. states that prohibit union security agreements between companies and workers' unions. Under these laws, employees in unionized workplaces may not be compelled to join a union, nor compelled to pay for any part of the cost of union representation, while generally receiving the same benefits as union members who do contribute.
This is also known as being "open shop" when it comes to organized labor. That is, you can't be forced to join a union even if it is the representing body for the employees. A good example of this is the HCTA, or "teacher's union" for Hillsborough County School District. You're not obligated to join or belong to the HCTA as a teacher, but you receive the benefits of their representation anyway.

RM

Old 06-08-2017, 05:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
any affect on wages on the broad sense?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 PM

316 posts, read 666,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I'm not seeing this philosophy where I work. In fact, it is very much the opposite. The employer pays a certain wage to do a certain job in certain conditions. If people don't apply, or are not accepting those terms, then the employer keeps looking. If newly hired employees decide to leave due to these conditions, the employer attempts little retention. I largely work alongside ex-convicts because they are unable to get consideration for many jobs and the employer is willing to hire them. This is one of the few jobs they can get, and in some cases they violate their release terms if their employment is terminated, either by the employer or on their own accord. The employer has even recruited at homeless facilities to get people to work for these conditions. The conditions here don't change. The personnel and where they are recruited does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay