Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,079 times

Advertisements

So I'm 20 years old and a month ago I picked up everything from my parents home in Dallas and got an apartment here in Pinellas County. I absolutely love it here. I'm a 10 minute drive to Belleair Shores, and a 15 minute drive to Clearwater Beach. I love going to the beach, however being on the Gulf the waves are pretty flat, which can make it rather boring especially if I'm not with anyone else... I'm not the kind of guy to just spread out on the beach. During a good storm in the Gulf or strong winds I love to grab a body board and go ride the waves by the Sand Key Jetty, but unfortunately the weather/wind is not always like that. I'm looking for some water hobby I could possibly take up. My work schedule varies, and most days I have quite a lot of free day light.

Preferring it to be something on the inexpensive end, I do not have the funds to buy a Jet Ski right now... I've looked heavily into buying a paddle board, however just not sure where to go, or if that's something that people really do in the bay. I know there's not many other option besides surf, body board, and paddle, but didn't know if I was missing something else?

Any ideas welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
This is a great place for boats. Where to keep one is often a problem. I have enjoyed both sail and motor boats and for a while had a canoe, although kayaks have become more popular in recent times.

A boat on a trailer can go many places, Lake Tarpon is fresh water and the gulf can be accessed from many places for variety.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:19 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,286 times
Google "paddleboarding Clearwater Beach FL" several places pop up. They can probably get you started. Kayaking is also an option, though the initial expenditure and storage may be problematic. How about a skimmer board or try snorkeling? If you want to get real adventurous you can try parasailing! To get started check out Craigslist or the sport shops for used equipment. Another option would be to check out online tag/yard sales on FB like: https://www.facebook.com/groups/StPe...nlineYardSale/

Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
Yeah check out kayaking. Cyrstal River, Weedon Island, Lake Tarpon, tons of places to go fresh, brackish, and salt. There are clubs and you can rent them cheaply to see if you enjoy it. It's a lot of fun.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:11 AM

17 posts, read 18,905 times
As already mentioned, there is gulf paddleboarding, snorkeling, kayaking and.... the big one... fishing! This is some of the best fishing... off one coast or the other or down in the keys. You can kayak or paddleboard in any lake in any state but the fishing here off coastal Florida is sublime.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 PM

94 posts, read 200,701 times
Check out the Clearwater Community Sailing Center. Very nice!

Clearwater Community Sailing Association – Sailing for Everyone

Old 07-03-2017, 08:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Most of the stuff you can rent - kayaks, jet skis, boats......resist the temptation to buy unless you've really tried it - so many people run out and buy jetskis and then rarely use them and are making payments on them.....kind of like boats.

Kayaking can become monotonous, but a cheap sport (decent used kayaks $400). Many people combine kayaking w/ fishing (see YakMotley youtube)......but his kayak is more expensive as he has the rudder-type where you can paddle whilst catching sharks and such.....he's very enthusiastic about his sport and it can be contagious.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF8...OdwpPnk1y61Aow

Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM

16 posts, read 20,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIt View Post
Check out the Clearwater Community Sailing Center. Very nice!

Clearwater Community Sailing Association – Sailing for Everyone
I was going to recommend this very thing. Learn to sail. They have lessons and boats. Because it is a community center, the fees are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: