Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 12:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Op may want to consider the area that they now call "North Hyde Park". Its a couple blocks north of Kennedy (around North A, North B, and Fig street). Great location and houses within OP's budget.
A-rated schools, Plant High, Wilson Jr High, and Mitchell elementary. All 3 excellent schools.
I would agree with this ^^^. I don't know what houses are going for now in that area, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 07:26 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
$250K won't buy a house in South Tampa Plant high district, so not sure why that was suggested. Not sure what $250,000 can buy unless older home or smaller town home. It can be done, but if you want new 3/4 bedroom home in Tampa Bay with good public schools, not going to happen. So hard with the current Florida school system. Not getting into politics, you will have choice soon and be able to get into any school in the county with a waiting list. Take out school consideration.
South Tampa isn't the only Plant, Wilson, or Mitchell district that's why.
You can live north of Kennedy in North Hyde Park area and attend all 3 of these schools and plenty of homes within OP's budget and even a better location ( a lot less traffic ).

Old 07-10-2017, 07:52 PM

43 posts, read 40,406 times
South Tampa (and Plant HS) are very nice, but it is an expensive area. I know, because I live in south Tampa. Ballast Point is a nice area, but as one post mentioned, South Tampa and Ballast Point (South of Gandy) do have some issues with flooding. The prices are lower in Ballast Point, but not by much, and the HS has the IB Program.

I am not particularly fond of Brandon or Seffner, but have friends who live in Brandon who like it. You might consider these areas: Seminole Heights is a nice area of mainly historic home-- it is an area of gentrification and some areas are nicer than others. The HS in Seminole Heights also has the IB Program.

Nice areas north of Tampa are Carrollwood and Wesley Chapel, but taking The Veterans Expressway (The Vet) to Tampa during common commute hours is terrible. This would be your route to TPA (Tampa International), so take that into consideration when arranging your flight times. Traffic in Hillsborough County is challenging, but it is much worse in Pinellas County, so be warned. Also, a lot of people live in Pasco County and commute to Tampa for work (not an issue for you) and you can get to the airport (also via The Vet) in about 30-40 minutes (not during high commute times). This is not Tampa, it is definitely a bedroom community (suburbs), but plenty of neighborhoods to choose from and the area is growing VERY fast. Avoid the town of Holiday at all costs - very high crime.

You check the school ratings (A-F) for all Florida schools on the county school board website. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 PM

10 posts, read 17,649 times
So, Brandon. My wife and I moved to Brandon last October, to one of the older neighborhoods off of 60 that was built in the 50-70's. And honestly? I like it. It's quiet. But, BUT. Traffic is hell. If you think you will be going to the airport a lot I would not move to Brandon, or anywhere really east of the airport. The main artery there is I4 -> 275 and that merge is just a mess, constantly, all day long. If you can live west/north (although I think Veteran's Expressway gets backed up too) you would have a much smoother drive.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 AM

686 posts, read 621,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jglonek View Post
So, Brandon. My wife and I moved to Brandon last October, to one of the older neighborhoods off of 60 that was built in the 50-70's. And honestly? I like it. It's quiet. But, BUT. Traffic is hell. If you think you will be going to the airport a lot I would not move to Brandon, or anywhere really east of the airport. The main artery there is I4 -> 275 and that merge is just a mess, constantly, all day long. If you can live west/north (although I think Veteran's Expressway gets backed up too) you would have a much smoother drive.
The Veterans is a mess around the airport; doubly (maybe triply) so during snowbird season. They're widening it but I'm not convinced it'll keep up with rapidly increasing demand.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jglonek View Post
If you live in Brandon the airport is an easy drive if you use the Crosstown Expressway with the connector to I-4. You can also dump out into downtown and catch I-275 from Ashley or one of the other surface streets.

RM

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you live in Brandon the airport is an easy drive if you use the Crosstown Expressway with the connector to I-4. You can also dump out into downtown and catch I-275 from Ashley or one of the other surface streets.

RM
The person who thought that I-4 connector was a good idea should lose his job. Take a interchange that has never worked with constant back ups then have a new flow of cars coming from a expressway less then a half mile of said interchange. What could go wrong?? I have tried taking that connector at various times of the day and it is pretty much always backed up from all the I-4 traffic that is at a stand still. I find weekdays or weekends it doesn't matter. Unless its 1100 pm, I would rather cut through downtown tampa instead. On the other hand going towards brandon, it works great. Nothing better then zipping home using the connector heading east, while shaking my head, while passing the back up on the west bound lanes.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:03 AM

356 posts, read 302,384 times
Be prepared, horrific traffic.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
The person who thought that I-4 connector was a good idea should lose his job. Take a interchange that has never worked with constant back ups then have a new flow of cars coming from a expressway less then a half mile of said interchange. What could go wrong?? I have tried taking that connector at various times of the day and it is pretty much always backed up from all the I-4 traffic that is at a stand still. I find weekdays or weekends it doesn't matter. Unless its 1100 pm, I would rather cut through downtown tampa instead. On the other hand going towards brandon, it works great. Nothing better then zipping home using the connector heading east, while shaking my head, while passing the back up on the west bound lanes.
I started going out of my way to take 75 to 4. Cut a GOOD chunk of time out of my trips to Orlando doing that.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 PM

10 posts, read 17,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

RM
I am happy the Selmon exists, as it does make getting around easier. The I4 connector is nice, but I have never found a time of day (except late at night) when there isn't a back-up in one, if not both directions of I4 by the connector. I've been driving it weekly lately and it is not fun. I can't imagine what people did before that was complete - cut through Ybor? Take 75 to 4? Yuck. I have tried surface roads downtown as well and it's hit or miss.

That being said, when it's actually not backed up it is a 20-25 minute drive from Brandon to the airport which is really nice. BUT, I only spend a mile on 60 before I can get onto Selmon. I can't imagine it would be fun living farther back towards Valrico, or between 60 and Bloomingdale. I made the mistake of trying to get some take-out from the new Rosati's pizza at Lithia-Pinecrest and Bloomingdale at 5pm last week and what should have been 15 minutes tops ended up at 35.

I am looking forward to the Selmon connector to the Gandy bridge, it should make getting to St Pete a little better. I do kind of feel like there needs to be another connector that hooks into Veterans on the west side of Tampa, it might clear up some of the 275/I4 merge mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: