Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:13 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,344,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I pretty much stopped reading after the post about enjoying Tampa on the day a hurricane was about to it..... until I glanced at my name.
Well there ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 PM

226 posts, read 147,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Well I guess I'm not one of the many...people who are unsuccessful tend to be so no matter where they live...we lived well in NYC and relocated to Tampa Bay and lived even better...please don't diminish my contribution to the local economy...many native Floridians made a good buck on us Yankees...especially those lucky enough to own or inherit waterfront properties!!!

That is good. You're not posting that there aren't any jobs, low pay, high rents...etc.

Sure, I have an uncle who became a multi-millionaire after he sold some ranch land a bit east of Orlando. My parents left my brother and I 160 acres near Ocala. It's been in the family since the 1840's. I'm not quite sure how many millions it is worth but it's staying in the family. Back then the U.S. government gave people 160 acre tracts if they homesteaded the land for a few years. I could not imagine how many of tracts there was in FL but I know a lot have been sold whole or in part. That land made a pile of rich people in FL. Life was real hard here then and for a long time later. My ancestors didn't have an easy go at it either. I guess us descendants got paid for their sacrifices.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,508,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
That is good. You're not posting that there aren't any jobs, low pay, high rents...etc.

Sure, I have an uncle who became a multi-millionaire after he sold some ranch land a bit east of Orlando. My parents left my brother and I 160 acres near Ocala. It's been in the family since the 1840's. I'm not quite sure how many millions it is worth but it's staying in the family. Back then the U.S. government gave people 160 acre tracts if they homesteaded the land for a few years. I could not imagine how many of tracts there was in FL but I know a lot have been sold whole or in part. That land made a pile of rich people in FL. Life was real hard here then and for a long time later. My ancestors didn't have an easy go at it either. I guess us descendants got paid for their sacrifices.
I got (3) 3.5 acre lots in Suburban Estates I'll sell you for a good price?
Minutes from Disney, build your dream home!

Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 PM

226 posts, read 147,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I got (3) 3.5 acre lots in Suburban Estates I'll sell you for a good price?
Minutes from Disney, build your dream home!

I will have to pass. Too crowded around Disney. Maybe a good place for a vacation rental place though.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 PM
KPB

Quote:
I will have to pass. Too crowded around Disney. Maybe a good place for a vacation rental place though.
Nah, it was just a bad joke.
Suburban Estates is like River Ranch and Rancho Bonito. Swamp land marketed and sold to northeners in the 60's-70's.
They still haven't built anything on it.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,219,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Nah, it was just a bad joke.
Suburban Estates is like River Ranch and Rancho Bonito. Swamp land marketed and sold to northeners in the 60's-70's.
They still haven't built anything on it.
LOL - I've only been here for a couple years and knew you were joking.

For Benny's info -> Suburban Estates

Heated Bidding for A Slice of Fla. Swamp

Old 09-17-2017, 11:14 PM

461 posts, read 550,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
If all you Florida natives don't acknowledge how northern transplants/tourists have improved the Florida economy you are just being willfully ignorant...coming from Queens NY. try to deal with an influx of non-english speaking Asians...you don't realize how lucky you have it...
I feel like the real native. Misplaced, having to leave the state like other natives have in other states because its gotten overrun. Guys like Benny, if they're Floridian, they're upper crust. They aren't the FL cracker types because they don't communicate like him usually. The ones with half indian blood and work the soil. I am more closer to that than this guy I can bet you. I am convinced I have Neolithic farmer dna too.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-18-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 11:17 PM

461 posts, read 550,281 times
Quote:

Well either way man, you got 3x the amount of 50 acres and a mule. WHERES MY 50 ACRES AND A MULE?? I should be indigenous to this land also.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:37 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,484,238 times
Quote:
The way you described FL tells me you got here within the past 12 years.
And why does that matter ? The OP asks whether other posters enjoy living here at times like this not how long they have lived here.
The sun shines the same way on a person whether they've been here fifty years or five minutes.
You're sounding like a bit of a redneck.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:04 AM
KPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
And why does that matter ? The OP asks whether other posters enjoy living here at times like this not how long they have lived here.
The sun shines the same way on a person whether they've been here fifty years or five minutes.
You're sounding like a bit of a redneck.
IMO, this world needs a few more rednecks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay