Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 9,227 times

Advertisements

*meant to post in the tampa forum. just looking for opinions from people who have moved from la to tampa or vice versa!

Hello all!

We are originally from Tampa and grew up here all of our lives (fiancé born in Cuba but moved here at 5 yrs old)

We just recently graduated from USF with our business degrees and have the urge/craving to move to LA!

(we’ve visited twice and love the lifestyle, west coast vibes and feeling of how real of a real metropolitan city it is compared to Tampa)

We are both 24 years old, young professionals in the financial services field.

My fiancé has a potential job offer in LA but it is only around $45k a year (personal banker in Glendale).

Right now he makes $42k a year here in Tampa. (HR recruiter for large national bank)

I make $45k here in Tampa (banking supervisor) but have no potential job offers in LA.

We both have a new home built in 2014 in Riverview area and pay only around $1300 for a 4bed/3bath.

We live pretty comfortably and are somewhat financially stable.

We are a little scared to make the move because of how comfortable we are here in Tampa, but also want to take that young risk of experience of exploring a new city!

Looking into L.A I can’t find any apartments or even studios that are decent anywhere near that price?!

A studio is around $1900 starting. Geographically, I have no idea where to search? North Hollywood, Burbank?

Questions:

If he is working in Glendale, where would be a decent areas to live nearby with an average apartment around $1500 (we don’t mind a studio or 1 bedroom) no more than 30 minutes from Glendale?

What are some major corporations or how easy is it to land a job in the financial services field in LA?

Do you know of any safe temporary shared living services or apartments that you can live in while finding a job and getting settled into LA?

Any other advice offered… 

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by papajawn; 09-19-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
I think you need to post in the California forum. But you probably already know that rents are sky high out there and you will need 3 times the income you make now. Good luck!

Old 09-19-2017, 04:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,362,171 times
I initially left Tampa for LA. You are correct in that you will not be able to even find 1 bedroom apartments in LA for the price you are currently paying in Riverview. But in my opinion it's the better place to live.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:05 PM

827 posts, read 684,855 times
I lived in the LA area for a few years and I live in Tampa now, so I think that I can be of some help here. How long does your fiance have to decide if he will accept the job? If you can find a job yourself before he accepts, it will be a big game changer. Otherwise, you won't be the first kids in their early 20's who moved to LA looking for adventure, so did I, and I had no job lined up!

In SoCal, on 45k, you will be a little pressed for cash until you have 2 incomes again. 1/3 or more of your pay will go towards rent. Not necessarily a deal breaker.

Your best bet will be to find a short sublease and use it as a base to find a more permanent place that you like. Look around the colleges like USC (Go Trojans!) for students who want someone to take over their lease.

Otherwise, Pasadena is a nice town and is right next to Glendale. Downtown LA is becoming cool again and starting to shed the skid row stereotype, so you might find a small place downtown even. Burbank, Silver Lake or Glendale itself would also be O.k places to settle.

One thing to keep in mind is the traffic in LA is TERRIBLE, so wherever you decide to live will most likely influence where you can search for jobs unless you are all about 90 minute commutes in stop and go traffic. My commute of 10 miles used to take 90 on a lot of days. If there was a crash, forget it.

Good luck with the move. I personally prefer Tampa to LA, and money goes farther here as well, but I completely understand wanting an adventure at that stage in your life.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,185,170 times
I am going to call it as I see it. Two full time job making under 100K in LA is a peanut. What are you going to do when you have a child? If that is in your future. You are asking for big trouble. Unless you see one of you exponentially improving your salary somehow, I would forget about it.

Oops, I forgot that you actually said you won't have your job and looking at 45K for family. Well, your misery just doubled. Sorry, I have to tell you what you may not be looking to hear.

Whatever you decide, best of luck!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:54 PM

461 posts, read 551,274 times
I would say Tampa is the better area to be in if you're coming from a higher cost state. Then you could afford South Tampa or Carrollwood no problem right? Many here cant though.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,295,144 times
Curious how anyone save for retirement, etc living in a high cost of living area like LA. Maybe they don't. Seems short-sighted.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:42 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Curious how anyone save for retirement, etc living in a high cost of living area like LA. Maybe they don't. Seems short-sighted.
Curious how anyone deals with that humidity in FL. Also, Tampa is not exactly cheap anymore. BucFan couldn't respond to the LA posters...hmm.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,295,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Curious how anyone deals with that humidity in FL. Also, Tampa is not exactly cheap anymore. BucFan couldn't respond to the LA posters...hmm.
Not sure what you're posting about, but you don't see people on limited income moving to LA. It appears OP's income is very limited. Living just at your means is careless. For someone in the financial business to do it, even more idiotic and irresponsible. Today's adults are up to their necks in credit and no pot to **** in. These people become 60-70 yr olds living in mobile homes and eating cat food.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not sure what you're posting about, but you don't see people on limited income moving to LA. It appears OP's income is very limited. Living just at your means is careless. For someone in the financial business to do it, even more idiotic and irresponsible. Today's adults are up to their necks in credit and no pot to **** in. These people become 60-70 yr olds living in mobile homes and eating cat food.
Nothing says they can't try for it for a year. Depends how bad they want out of FL. I moved from Tampa to LA, only lived there for a year. Had nothing to do with money, but I sure didn't return to Tampa. They are 24. You act like this is a move that will determine the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay