Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,216,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indytoflgirl View Post
I am buying a generator...shopping for the best now. Suggestions? Up to 2-3 thousand dollars. Thanks!!
What size generator are you looking for? What are you looking to power in your house, whole house or just a few select items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:25 PM

471 posts, read 541,899 times
My lessons:

- Evac out of the cone and leave early 3 days before it hits (stuffs can be replaced, life and limbs can't).
- Path and severity prediction is still way too inaccurate. Pinellas going from a Cat 3 direct hit prediction that Sat vs a reality slight miss Cat 1 on Sunday could've been the difference between picking up some broken tree branches vs the roof shingles and maybe roof blown away and more large trees collapsed onto the house - I've no interest in staying around and roll the dice
- Make hotel reservation early to get best rate and best location, or drive further to stay with family (and cheaper in long run)
- Put aside a budget for hurricane evac and call it Unscheduled Vacation, might as well enjoy the time away and go visit some new city
- Looking at trimming or cut down big trees near house and be mindful of location to plant new ones
- Need to figure out how to get a generator that can power a room AC and fridge for at least two weeks (fuel source, type, storage) - or just stay away til power comes back
- Oh yeah, clean out the food in fridge/freezer during evac....take it with you and don't stock up so much anymore
- Look into further storm proof the house - metal shutters around the lanai? Replace old doors and sliding doors. Maybe next year since it's max price gouging at the moment after the storm.
- That shed that was assembled couple years ago seemed like a good idea at the time but is getting the eye now

Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
good points ----I'd be interested to know if anyone will be getting flood insurance FEMA now after what they've experienced....me? I think it'll take a huge surge from the Gulf to get 10 mile inland and the Manatee River is too far away as well

Old 09-23-2017, 05:34 PM

517 posts, read 1,085,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
For anyone who gives a crap, here's the lessons I learned from Irma, big and small.

There's a certain moment, a breaking point, when the panic sets in and everyone hits the stores to stock up. Once the corporate media comes out with a storm track that puts us in the path, the hysteria hits very suddenly and everyone swarms the stores and gas stations within an hour. This is why it's so important to have your supplies in advance of that moment when it suddenly hits the news. Otherwise, all kinds of stuff will already be sold out by the time you get there.

Gallons and bottles of water are the first thing to sell out at all the stores. But running water and wastewater service seemed to fare okay after the storm [boldface added]. Even when the power and internet/cable failed, water service seemed to keep on working. Natural gas service also seemed to hold up well. The water heaters at our apartments are gas-run. Even with the power out for 3 days, we still had hot water, including the shower.

Flashlights don't work well for long-term emergency lighting. It would have been nice to have something more robust for nighttime lighting. Since Irma, I have ordered several LED lanterns which will be a lot better for being without power for several days or a week.
Thanks for posting--it really helps in thinking how to approach any future similar situation to read your thoughts and other people's here.

On the point I bolded, it's worth noting that the storm definitely resulted in significant water issues in the area of Southwest Florida where I live in the aftermath of the storm (where, overall, the area was much harder hit than the Tampa Bay Area).

So my feeling is, since safe drinking water is such a necessity, to always stock up during hurricane season just in case.

If people wind up with water they don't need and still have power, an option is to bring bottles of ice-cold water to people without power. I did this after this storm (couldn't find any ice for sale in stores I stopped at, but put as much bottled water as I could in the refrigerator and made ice to keep it cold) as I knew from a previous experience of being without power after a storm how grateful and relieved I was to be given a gift of a bag of ice. It was very hot and humid, and that first glass of cold water was a real turning point (until then, the migraine had been winning).

Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM

517 posts, read 1,085,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
To get out earlier and stock up on items. The frenzied panic at the grocery stores was cringe-worthy. People lose all integrity and dignity and act like animal. Never want to experience a situation like that again.
I'm sorry you had this experience. I was lucky in that mine was different.

This is just my own personal experience; I can't speak for anyone else's here (I'm in Southwest Florida). But I felt so fortunate that, at least at the places I went at the times I went there, people for the most part were patient and civil, and some really went out of their way to be pleasant and/or helpful to others on gas lines, in stores, on the roads, etc.

I think this helped people manage their own stress levels. A small thing, like strangers making eye contact and smiling in a crowded shopping aisle and saying, "No, you go first," isn't a small thing under those circumstances. It snowballed in a positive way, just as I can imagine the panicked situation snowballing the other way (scary situation).

After the storm, I continued to see instances of people helping people, for example, people on a couple of street corners holding up signs that said "Free water" and "Free hot food" (meeting the needs of some of the people who didn't have water they could be sure was safe to drink or the ability to cook food).

I was able to help others at times and also was the grateful recipient of help at times. When I said thank you for help, I was answered with "We're all in this together" and "That's what we're here for, to help each other."

I'm posting just for people to know that, while what was posted here is what we're often afraid may happen, and sadly sometimes it does happen, there are a range of possibilities for how people can act in these situations.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 09-23-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 PM

461 posts, read 549,807 times
That if you don't leave Florida, more of this is to come and on a harder scale.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:48 PM

226 posts, read 147,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post

The hurricanes will always be around, some weak, some strong. Some hit Florida. Most don't. A big tree branch could fall and kill me. A car could loose control and put me on the ground like wall paper. I could get electrocuted opening the frig. I could be in a deadly crash driving around town. All deadly events that could happen to me without warning. A hurricane I get a few days of warning. I'll take the hurricanes.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:53 AM

461 posts, read 549,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
The hurricanes will always be around, some weak, some strong. Some hit Florida. Most don't. A big tree branch could fall and kill me. A car could loose control and put me on the ground like wall paper. I could get electrocuted opening the frig. I could be in a deadly crash driving around town. All deadly events that could happen to me without warning. A hurricane I get a few days of warning. I'll take the hurricanes.
See dude, I don't think like that. I still see a hurricane as deadly or the possibilities to be more deadly than opening a refridgerator. I never in my life lost control of my car or lost a steering wheel while driving. Never had a tree branch topple any house I been in or hit me... see where I'm going with this? Its almost like your way of making a point that you love FL no matter what, theres nothing wrong here kind of thing. I see this as stretching to make a point in all honesty.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:39 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,216,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
What I learned: make sure you ignore weather hacks like Corvette Carl - that dude spewed so much crap the days prior to the storm he was all over the map - should have been banned for dishing out some bad, potentially harmful advice to readers here.
Yep, there was a post that summarized his level of misinformation, seems to have been killed off by a Mod. Not sure if intentional to cause panic and fear or not.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
you know this how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay