Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 01:23 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,659 times

Advertisements

We have an up-coming dry-wall meeting with the builder early next week and looking for recommendations for a nosey home inspector who can inspect at short notice.

We probably need to do the same during pre-closing as well.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,803,075 times
I used 3 so far and were not impressed. I actually pointed something out to inspectors myself because they missed it. Two out of 3 were highly recommended. It confirmed the whole inspector thing is a big rip off. Inspectors don't need engineering education and have bunch of disclaimers like they only inspect what they see...
What I recommend you to do - get a blueprints of your house and walk through your house along every single wall - check for all outlets and switches be where they are shown on the plans. If you have prewired lighting, make sure you see wires for that too. It might sound silly, but count a number of outlets in each area vs plans. My builder short every single area in my new build by 1-2 outlets.
Take a lot of pictures, and video record your house pre-drywall. Try to get sizes of pipes you see.
Pre-drywall inspection is just it really. I know some people feel better is someone else do it for them, but in the end it's your house and nobody but you really care much.
For pre-closing inspection, I would also skip. I used two independent guys to do mine. Cannot recommend either once of them. I kind of feel I wasted money on inspection and if I would go back in time, I would hire them for any.
Make sure all windows are opening and closing, have no cracks, turn on each switch to make sure each is fine. Oh, and for the pre-drywall, if you asked for pre-wired fans in bedrooms/ elsewhere, make sure it's done. So few houses when pre-wiring wasn't done and people noticed after moving in.
Also check breaker and make sure everything is labeled correctly.
Check toilets flashing. Some builders let their workers flash construction crap. If water is not getting down quick. point this out before closing and let them deal with it.
Check every single tile for cracks and grout between tiles for gaps. Do it before closing. Check your bathtubs for cracks! Like get inside the tub and look closely at it without rushing.
If you have concerns regarding anything like electric work or plumbing or AC, call few companies specializing on it and get inspections scheduled through them instead.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay