Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:00 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times

Advertisements

Ok..well like I said, I wanted to get a “feel” for what others think and I can see I won’t get anything other than criticism here. I am doing my “research” (which also consists on asking CD), but thought I could get some idea of what to expect and what not to expect with my budget without it turning into a flame war. Thanks for the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Ok..well like I said, I wanted to get a “feel” for what others think and I can see I won’t get anything other than criticism here. I am doing my “research” (which also consists on asking CD), but thought I could get some idea of what to expect and what not to expect with my budget without it turning into a flame war. Thanks for the comments.
There is no "flame war here" only realistic comments. Others have already told you what to expect so I won't add anything. I don't know why people even ask these questions if they don't really want to hear the truth.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:45 AM

124 posts, read 124,279 times
My two cents - generally speaking your budget is on the upper end of the Tampa Bay area except for beach and downtown. You can get a lot of house for that price in great neighborhoods but you will be driving to the beach. Or you could get a smaller house/condo near and even on the beach but it won't be new.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM

240 posts, read 286,771 times
Quote:
I know I can be abrupt, but we've seen questions like yours for years.

May I suggest the east coast of Florida? They are not as crowded in many areas, and I actually prefer the Atlantic to the Gulf. Better breezes, bigger waves, still will be expensive, but not as congested. At least in the smaller beach towns.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Don't be so sensitive, and to clarify, you weren't being "flamed" by anyone. (Def. "flame war": A lengthy exchange of angry or abusive messages between users of an online forum or other discussion area.)

The point being is that anyone who has read the literally hundreds of relocation posts that have been put here over the years will see a series reoccurring themes and misconceptions:

1.) We live close to the beach; or, anywhere water meets the land is a beach;

2.) I want to live on/near/close to the beach;

3.) It must be great to be able to go to Disney/Busch Gardens/the beach all the time;

4.) I want a short commute; and,

5.) I want a house with a large lot.

Some of these could be understandable as without actually coming here and seeing the area in person you wouldn't get it, such as the lack of beaches despite the miles and miles of land bordering large bodies of water. However, others, such as lot sizes, cost of housing, or commute times are easily identified or recognizable if you spend even a modicum of time researching them. Also contacting a local real estate agent would glean the same responses.

So no one was criticizing you other than to point out some of the things you mentioned have been addressed time and time again in many, many posts here. I guarantee that if you do a search on "relocation" or "moving" in this forum and read 30-40 of the posts from each search you will see references to these topics and others as well.

Chill, please. You're welcome.

RM

Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 358 times
You can certainly live on or near the beach for 500k, but everyone in the thread is correct that an acre of vacant land to build on unfortunately doesn't exist. GOOD NEWS is that you may find that an acre isn't necessary here. Having open access to the beach and ocean generally satisfies the desire for spacious surroundings.

There is new construction on the beaches, so if you're looking for new then that's a real possibility. 3000+ sqft in your budget might be tough, but not impossible.As far as area, those I've helped find property are usually partial to the southern Pinellas beaches like Treasure Island, St. Pete Beach, Madeira, and Indian Rocks as opposed to Clearwater (which is overrun by tourists and spring breakers).

Mod edit: No soliciting, read our TOS.

Last edited by Sunscape; 10-03-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay