U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times

Advertisements

Yes when it is 90 degrees and 95% humidity you see tons of people outside.

Not really. They are indoors stayiny cool.

And good luck riding a bike here. Florida leads the nation in deadly bike accidents.

Bikers being hit by cars. Big article in the Tampa Tribune about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:29 PM

154 posts, read 478,683 times
Keeper is completely right, not everyone spend April-November inside.

About the horrible summers with most people becoming prisoner of air conditioning:

1) While middle of a summer day in Tampa is very hot and humid, it rains quite often in the afternoon and that cools down the temperature to a very bearable (all relative, see below) level.

2) I believe that not everybody has the same sensitivity to heat. it depends on general physiology, physical shape and many other parameters. What is true is the cooler one keeps there house inside, the more difficult it will be to stand outside when it is hot and humid. I have never understood while some people like to keep their house very warm in the winter (80F or so) and very cold in the summer (below 70F) (this is particularly true for the NE). I have lived on 3 continents, some very hot places and I never became prisoner of air conditioning, even in places as hot as Tampa.

3) There are ways to reduce heat exposure, here are just few of them: live in a house with shade from big trees, insulate all part of the house, avoid very large windows directly exposed to the sun, use shutters to prevent sun exposures through windows in the middle of the day, try to generate air drafts at the coolest time of the day/night.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 AM

20 posts, read 53,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes when it is 90 degrees and 95% humidity you see tons of people outside.

Not really. They are indoors stayiny cool.

And good luck riding a bike here. Florida leads the nation in deadly bike accidents.

Bikers being hit by cars. Big article in the Tampa Tribune about that.
Agreed. I know people from here who stay inside during the summer if they can help it. In my building people will actually bring in lunch or order in just to avoid going outside during the summer as opposed to going out for lunch in the winter. In my opinion people seem to be more on edge during the summer to, which I believe is heat related. I have nothing to back that up, just personal opinion and experience.

As for the bikes I think it's a great sweat to ride in the summer, but the sun is just to hot that I try to stay out it directly during those times.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 AM

336 posts, read 834,592 times
I won't bike around here either, there are too many crazy drivers and texting and talking drivers.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 82,105 times
my girlfriend and i currently live in pittsburgh and it really does suck. we are moving to florida in august and cannot wait. the only thing I will miss is family/friends.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:57 PM

86 posts, read 389,991 times
Smile I am from the burg...

My son and I recently moved to Tampa from Pittsburgh, and it was the best move we have made. Got a good job here, and so far, we are happy. Clearwater is really nice, and I should perhaps have looked there. I am currently in Plant city...Farmland..

Make the move, you will be soooo glad you did. I know I am!

Shawn

Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 AM

14 posts, read 65,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbusdriver View Post
My son and I recently moved to Tampa from Pittsburgh, and it was the best move we have made. Got a good job here, and so far, we are happy. Clearwater is really nice, and I should perhaps have looked there. I am currently in Plant city...Farmland..

Make the move, you will be soooo glad you did. I know I am!

Shawn
I am from Pittsburgh too and plan to move at the beginning of next year into the summer. I will be vacationing in St. Pete at the end of June. I am trying to figure out where is a nice safe place with good schools but close to everything. I have a 13 year old daughter and we live in Seven Fields, near Cranberry. So I am looking for an area pretty much like that.

I came down in April and stayed in Carrollwood. It seemed like a nice place with nice neighborhood. Where should I steer clear of. I hear mixed states on all the areas. Clearwater is good. Clearwater is bad. St. Pete is good. St. Pete is bad. Just plain stay away from Tampa. How can you figure out the truth?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:06 AM

20 posts, read 66,759 times
i moved from pittsburgh to tampa last fall, and back again to pittsburgh temporarily this spring. i expect i'll be back in tampa in about a year to continue grad school.

i love the tampa area. i also love pittsburgh, though it's a totally different world up here. nonetheless, i feel obliged to mention, if no one else has, that pittsburgh was rated 'america's most livable city' by places rated almanac (a big deal), and will be hosting the g20 global summit in september (a huge deal).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 AM

471 posts, read 1,509,844 times
There are lots of areas here that would be similar to seven fields. Areas I could recommend would depend on where you/spouse would be working.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM

14 posts, read 65,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
There are lots of areas here that would be similar to seven fields. Areas I could recommend would depend on where you/spouse would be working.
That would be great if you could tell me places that are like Seven Fields. I like living in Seven Fields, it's just too bad it is in PA.

I was looking at the St. Pete area, or maybe Riverview or Brandon. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay