U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:56 PM

54 posts, read 192,929 times

Advertisements

One thing no one has mentioned yet - if you get a job with the city or county in FL you will not be allowed to evacuate in case of hurricanes. You are required to staff an emergency location - you will be fired if you don't show up. If you don't believe me be sure and ask at your interview. My husband and I both retired from the City of Clearwater. I would guess that some jobs other than municipal might require the same sacrifice. If you have kids or elderly parents and both work for the city you could really be in a dilemma. Luckily hurricanes are rare across that part of the state, but not unheard of. Remember Charlie a category 4 that just missed the Tampa Bay area 2 yrs ago and slammed into Punta Gorda instead? Food for thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM

41 posts, read 84,555 times
Silversurfer: I am currently trying to get my foot in the door in either a city, county or state position: do you have any contacts still? or, do you have any advice, comments to share with me? I appreciate all your help. I have a BA in Communications and I am working on my master/phd in public administration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Skyspirit:

In regards to your credit ding, what I have heard the complexes are doing now, since it is a common occurance in our society this year, is to charge more money up front for security: i.e. $1,000 if they normally require $500, etc.

Here are two searches that came up with some details:

pinellas park fl apartment complexes - Google Search

clearwater fl apartment complexes - Google Search

Also, there are free apartment guides listing the apartments.

Online here is what I found for you:

Clearwater:

Apartments.com - Search Results

Apartments Clearwater - EveryAptMapped - Clearwater Apartment Search

Clearwater Chamber link for their relocation guide:

Order Relocation Guide

Pinellas Park:
Chamber link, where you will find the link to apartments, etc.

Pinellas Park Chamber of Commerce,* Florida,* apartments, motels, jobs

PP Apartments:

Apartments.com - Search Results

Apartments Pinellas Park - EveryAptMapped - Pinellas Park Apartment Search

also, you can order a booklet mailed to your home:
https://www.pdatagroup.net/Aptguide/

and Rent.com
Alright, then that should work for you now. Good Luck moving onward.

Last edited by 7micheller; 04-30-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,323 times
Default Thanks!!

Thanks Keeper for the information! That sounds really good. I've talked to numerous people since I wrote this post and most speak fairly highly of Clearwater area. We're going to go for a short time during the first week of July and see how we like it. I figure if we go in the center of summer, we'll see if we can handle the humidity. We've lived in Phoenix for years, and even though everyone says it's "a dry heat," it's still EXTREMELY HOT!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
Default Don't buy in the mobile home parks!

I would NEVER recommend a mobile home. We just moved out and we couldn't out fast enough! Homes that sold for 30k-50k just a few years ago are being sold for 5k-10k with lot rents $600/month on average. The lot rents go up, without fail, every single year at a minimum of $50/month.

Many parks have closed and those that are still standing are now generally "resident owned" which means you have very bossy neighbors who think they not only own the park but own you too. Also, several of these remaining parks have big balloon payments that will be coming due and they aren't going to have the money to pay up . . . bubble bubble!

In this market - if you know you can get financing or you are a cash purchaser- my advice is to PURCHASE A SINGLE FAMILY HOME! These parks are truly nightmares . . . especially Island in the Sun!!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 AM

30 posts, read 110,650 times
What about the 55+ parks? It would seem if they kept raising the rent in those parks at the rate you stated,alot fo those people wouldn't be able to pay it?? (with fixed incomes)
I have been on a realtors list for over a year now and have been viewing hundreds of listings in the 55+ parks and haven't noticed rent increases for the most part. Infact I personally know 3 people that have trailers down there just north of Tampa and there parks are walking distance to the bay and rents are $310-$450 w/water,trash,lawn etc included.
The big thing I hear is parks are being sold to developers so you never know when you could lose your place.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:42 AM

13,780 posts, read 18,685,586 times
Well my suggestion is unless you have a job dont move to florida . we have one of the nations highest unemployment rates . we sold our house last year due to the fact that we could no longer afford property taxes and a house payment and that is making fifty thousand a year (quite rare in florida ) . We are leaving in two weeks to move back to my home town of Lexington Ky . Also if you like paying high cost auto insurance too then this is the state for you , because most of our drivers are over 80 we pay double for auto insurance comparred to the rest of the country . Once I leave I will never come back to florida . Florida has out priced itself and the tourists have stopped coming because it is cheaper to vacation in Europe now .

Old 11-27-2008, 07:15 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,146,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Many seniors live in mobile home parks and usually they are the nicer ones. The only reason I mention this is there are ppl who move down here and then complain because they are surrounded by retirees and they don't have any friends their age.

Do your homework and do take Jessiesma comments in consideration. Even the slightest chance a hurricane is headed towards Tampabay, you will have to evacuate. Even a cat 1..

Ok so if a Cat 1 or more is predicted to hit the Tampa Bay area, does that mean people in St Petersburg will have to evacuate? How does one find out if their possible purchase of a mobile home is in an evacuation area (or is it the entire city/s that have to evacuate their mobile home? Also don't most parks have a building right at the park, for evacuations? I mean seriously what do they do about evacuation for seniors in the parks, who are not able to fly/drive anywhere? Certainly the county has shelters ?

I also have done my homework for 3 years, and plan on doing just about the same thing the previous poster from Michigan is doing. Coming down and purchasing for cash a mobile home (I have already picked out the park I want to move to) I am not purchasing in a park where you have to buy the land.
Yes, at ONE time, developers wanted the parks, but I'd say for the next 1-5 years that's not likely to happen. Seems to me, there's not much reason to develop anything right now...who's left to purchase? Why build condo's when there are so many for sale right now. Also, purchasing and living in a park that's not so close to the water, gives one a better chance (least to me) that a developer won't be so fast to want to purchase a park).

I have an excellent www site if anyone is interested for the parks, all over the USA, and the homes for sale, prices, taxes, and lot rent are usually listed with the home's ad as well. Ping me if you want the www site.

Mrs. P.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
Well, first off, if you think your area is having hard time, you should count your blessings your not in Michigan! we have the nations highest unemployment, one of the highest foreclosings, ect, ect....
My wifes a manager so transfers ARE possible and we know that for a fact.
Hurricane evac? no problem, days ahead of time we get on a plane and fly back here to stay with family for a few days..no biggie...
You didn't mention how you live?house? Again I have to stress I'm strickly talking about a mobile home. Costs are VERY low doing it that way.
As for fishing, no biggie there either. I can bring my boat or buy one down there. Keep it in a storage area and tow it to a lanch just like I do now or I can rent a slip for a couple thousand a year. I'm not talking about a cabin cruiser, just a nice center console say 18' to fish the flats ect.
Oh, our gas is $3.35/gal right now! and we drive 30 miles to work vs a whole lot less if we where down there....In my previous post I detailed the basic costs and my point is to all this is a chance to get out of Mich and enjoy life and aviod many of the bills associated with a house and the weather climate.
Afterall, alot of retired people on fixed incomes are doing the smae thing down there.
Thanks for your input on this. I hope your husband lands a good job...sounds like his doing the right thing.

I know of one park that is NOT resident owned that has special area's for people to keep their boats (the park has a launch if I remember correctly)
Lot rent 300-400 a month. Very few homes for sale but there's a few.
Homes I saw for sale were 17,000.00 to 200,000.00.

Being from Michigan, I wish you luck on selling your current property. I know how tough it is up there, as I'm originally from NE Ohio and they are in the same pickle as Michigan...People want to leave, but can't sell their homes.
Glad I got out when I did, but still even SC, is not where I want to be, plus I have a guy wanting to buy my Townhome (co worker) so no real estate fees (woo-hoo) my problem is I'd have to work part time, full time preferred though, because one still has to pay electric, and some homes do have taxes, phone bills, internet access, car insurance, home insurance (you still have to buy that you know) and most importantly food. Could I do that on a Walmart job? Maybe if it was fulltime.

My friend has a mobile home in Bonita Springs, she says almost all the retirees in her park, work part time. She also stated that when she walks into stores, etc, there tends to be "older workers". However Bonita Springs is very expensive to live in, by my research for 3 years.

It's a scary situation, do I sell in SC, and purchase in FL and try to find a job?
From what I am reading, that may not be such a good idea.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
Thanks for all the info.Yes at least 300 miles a week (per car) and since we live in the country its 12-17 miles to a Walmart, sears, malls, some restruants are a little closer.
I have considered the hurricane problem. I've considered little things like a large upright safe to keep valuables in so if a evac is needed we don't have to worry about packing everything in suit cases and I realize (as far as I know) you can't insure a mobile, so thats a investment gamble, but I along with 1/2 million others down there are willing to take the chance. I just make sure I have alternate plans for long term living "If" the worst happens.
You can't base decissions on the "what if" factor. Here in west Mich you are very likely to slip and fall on ice, get in a car wreck in a snowstorm, possible tornado, ect, so as we get closer to retirement these are things to take into consideration.
From what I have seen and researched, Clearwater is like heaven! compared to Michigan, and thats probally why Michigan makes up the largest percentage of your "snowbirds"....Heck last week the weatherman said the last time we had 4 straight days of 40 degs or better was back on Nov 18th, and they still don't predict temps to hit 50 until April 1st!!we've had 100" of snow too this winter. That my friend is motovation to move!!
Thanks for all the input and try to leave some fish for me to catch when I get down there

Uh....my friends have a mobile home in Bonita Springs, it is insured. It's expensive, but not as expensive as a house.
Also the ads I read for the ones that are for sale, many times say, " a reduced insurance policy may be available on this unit".

I'm pretty sure you can purchase insurance on a mobile home. Actually when you said that in your above paragraph, that was the first time I've ever heard you couldn't insure one. Please advise where you got that info, because that is a chance I'm not willing to take.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 110,650 times
We have friends that live in a mobile park in Palm Harbor and they have hurricane coverage on the trailer. I have also checked with 2 other people one has a trailer in Ruskin and again they have insurance too.
Those that are complaining about hard times in S.W. Florida really need to come up to Michigan and live. I'm hear to tell you IT SUCKS! It has sucked for a good couple years and its getting worse. as soon as the kids are out of college, we are heading to FL.
I'll pay cash for a mobile on a water channel, pay $300/month water, trash and lawn care all included and only have a electric bill and no natural gas bill. We've already had 100" of snow this winter and have gone 5 straight weeks without even hitting 40 degrees, enough is enough...
as for selling our house, won't be too hard. we own several acres in the country and have owned it for 20 years and it close to being paid off.
I sure I can find work down there considering I'm maintaince for condos,townhouses, and theres a ton of those down there.
I just want sunny skies, warm days and a boat to go fishing every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or