Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:29 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times

Advertisements

and they apparently reclassified Alberto as a tropical storm this year. However as forecast it WAS a hurricane for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
2004 was the last time..You can see where them here
Hurricane Season 2004 - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/14/2007/1/23/52361.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 AM

30 posts, read 138,742 times
Thanks for all the info.Yes at least 300 miles a week (per car) and since we live in the country its 12-17 miles to a Walmart, sears, malls, some restruants are a little closer.
I have considered the hurricane problem. I've considered little things like a large upright safe to keep valuables in so if a evac is needed we don't have to worry about packing everything in suit cases and I realize (as far as I know) you can't insure a mobile, so thats a investment gamble, but I along with 1/2 million others down there are willing to take the chance. I just make sure I have alternate plans for long term living "If" the worst happens.
You can't base decissions on the "what if" factor. Here in west Mich you are very likely to slip and fall on ice, get in a car wreck in a snowstorm, possible tornado, ect, so as we get closer to retirement these are things to take into consideration.
From what I have seen and researched, Clearwater is like heaven! compared to Michigan, and thats probally why Michigan makes up the largest percentage of your "snowbirds"....Heck last week the weatherman said the last time we had 4 straight days of 40 degs or better was back on Nov 18th, and they still don't predict temps to hit 50 until April 1st!!we've had 100" of snow too this winter. That my friend is motovation to move!!
Thanks for all the input and try to leave some fish for me to catch when I get down there

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 AM

Default Oh yes!

and you're right you can't base life on "what ifs" but unless you're scrooge mcduck with a room full of money, I'd take the paper with me because how much can it be and you have days of warning to start preps. who knows if the safe would be there after a powerful storm? You can't imagine the force of water unless you've seen it first hand. They say that even 6" can float a CAR off the road in a flash flood, Imagine a 20' wall of water crashing down on you. NO don't. G-d forbid it should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
Thanks for all the info.Yes at least 300 miles a week (per car) and since we live in the country its 12-17 miles to a Walmart, sears, malls, some restruants are a little closer.
I have considered the hurricane problem. I've considered little things like a large upright safe to keep valuables in so if a evac is needed we don't have to worry about packing everything in suit cases and I realize (as far as I know) you can't insure a mobile, so thats a investment gamble, but I along with 1/2 million others down there are willing to take the chance. I just make sure I have alternate plans for long term living "If" the worst happens.
You can't base decissions on the "what if" factor. Here in west Mich you are very likely to slip and fall on ice, get in a car wreck in a snowstorm, possible tornado, ect, so as we get closer to retirement these are things to take into consideration.
From what I have seen and researched, Clearwater is like heaven! compared to Michigan, and thats probally why Michigan makes up the largest percentage of your "snowbirds"....Heck last week the weatherman said the last time we had 4 straight days of 40 degs or better was back on Nov 18th, and they still don't predict temps to hit 50 until April 1st!!we've had 100" of snow too this winter. That my friend is motovation to move!!
Thanks for all the input and try to leave some fish for me to catch when I get down there

Old 03-20-2008, 08:51 AM

471 posts, read 1,660,680 times
Quote:
I've considered little things like a large upright safe to keep valuables in so if a evac is needed we don't have to worry about packing everything in suit cases
When we first got here my daughter taught us to pack a hurricane box at the beginning of the season. Sturdy plastic large enough to hold all important paper, jewelry, credit cards and cash, small enough to fit in the car. We do this even though we are in a non-evacuation zone.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

30 posts, read 138,742 times
for that matter, we could always rent safe depost boxes at a bank and keep the most important stuff there. If a 20ft surge hit Tampa or clearwater, it will make New Orleans look like a spring shower.. your talking about millions of people and entire cites destroyed. Then again, I can always come back up to the great white north.
Don't take this wrong, because I don't mean to be rude, but if a hurricane is such a big concern, why do you live down there? why wouldn't you concisder moving to another state where perhaps your husband could get a teaching job easier? I have afriend that teaches in Alasaka and he has told me theres alot of openings up there..
We have a winter storm watch for tomorrow..3"-6" of snow...GOD will spring ever get here

Old 03-22-2008, 07:19 AM

471 posts, read 1,660,680 times
Just discovered another mhp that might be what you are looking for. Google crystal bay palm harbor.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Question Alaska???

not this Mediterranean city girl. no sun there and I'm a beach person

I honestly DO NOT worry about hurricanes. I have enough sense to get out of the way on time and stuff is just stuff. I just mentioned it FYI. I don't think a safe will survive "the big one."
My husband cannot get a teaching job elsewhere. He went alternate track and is now in the Catch-22 of needing a full time job to get full cert. What he's done school wise is not transferable. He struggled for grades back in the day and even tho we are much older, because of "no child left behind," they don't care how much he's learned in 30 years. The GPA he got with his degree is the standard and that's it. His was just short of what they want. End of story. Time for Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillgetter View Post
for that matter, we could always rent safe depost boxes at a bank and keep the most important stuff there. If a 20ft surge hit Tampa or clearwater, it will make New Orleans look like a spring shower.. your talking about millions of people and entire cites destroyed. Then again, I can always come back up to the great white north.
Don't take this wrong, because I don't mean to be rude, but if a hurricane is such a big concern, why do you live down there? why wouldn't you concisder moving to another state where perhaps your husband could get a teaching job easier? I have afriend that teaches in Alasaka and he has told me theres alot of openings up there..
We have a winter storm watch for tomorrow..3"-6" of snow...GOD will spring ever get here

Old 04-24-2008, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,679 times
Default There's downside to everywhere!

I was reading this thread as we're considering moving to Clearwater, FL as well!! Ya know, there are downsides to almost everywhere you want to live. I've lived in CA with hurricanes, I've lived in NY with pounds of snow and blizzards, and I now live in AZ with intense and extreme heat!! There's always going to be "something" in any area. You just have to decide what pros outweight the cons and is right for you as far as the "something" you want to deal with.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I have to agree with you innerwellth. I have lived in OKC, Panama Canal Zone, AL and FL. There is good and bad in every place. Most every place I lived, was because we had to move due to a job.

Hurricanes are really more of PIA than anything else in Tpa bay area since most usually hit directly somewhere else and Tpa gets rain and wind but not the damage that occurs elsewhere.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 19,017 times
Default Any suggestions?

My husband and I are making plans to move from Michigan to Clearwater or Pinellas Park area sometime next year. I've been researching apartments and worried that we won't get in due to a ding on our credit from having a foreclosed home. Is it strict down there when trying to get into an apartment? Does anyone have any suggestions for an apartment complex in the 2 areas that I mentioned?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay