Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Obviously, the Cubans back then had children... Thus growing their population.

That said, prior to Ybor City, Tampa's population was 2,000. After Ybor's death, Tampa's population was over 20,000. To say that Cubans didn't play a big role in that is just stupid.
The boat lift also helped add more to FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 05:04 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Tampa's roots are Cuban, Italian & Greek. It's pretty unique, and to deny it or minimalize it is frankly disrespecting its History.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:32 PM

828 posts, read 692,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Tampa's roots are Cuban, Italian & Greek. It's pretty unique, and to deny it or minimalize it is frankly disrespecting its History.
According to the OP, it is a backwater because he can't find any soul food...

Old 11-24-2017, 05:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
According to the OP, it is a backwater because he can't find any soul food...
LOL!!! Well, then they obviously have no internet skills.

I'm fortunate to not even need a soul food place in Tampa. A call to friends in Lutz is all it takes for a throw down with the freshest fried catfish & okra, hushpuppies from heaven, spicy coleslaw and slap-your-Grandmother mac & cheese that you've ever had!

Some people need to broaden their circles.

Last edited by JMatl; 11-24-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 06:43 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
Obviously, the Cubans back then had children... Thus growing their population.

That said, prior to Ybor City, Tampa's population was 2,000. After Ybor's death, Tampa's population was over 20,000. To say that Cubans didn't play a big role in that is just stupid.
Agree w/ you 1000% but dude, are you seriously arguing w/ this guy? lol
Now that is just stupid.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:10 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Agree w/ you 1000% but dude, are you seriously arguing w/ this guy? lol
Now that is just stupid.
Not so much arguing WITH certain people as much as I am preventing the spread of misinformation among people who happen to come across this thread.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Im white and I love hearing about refugee's coming here w/ nothing but the shirt on their back, work hard and make sucessful lives for their families. And they're happy!
Meanwhile you'll have a man born here to wealthy parents, given every opportunity to make something of themselves but ***** it all away. And then constantly complain about their miserable life and how its too hot outside to do any type of work.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:43 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
I think this was meant to be a troll attempt, but I'm not really sure. The post took a confusing direction I think. I don't think Tampa is as Hispanic influence/population wise as Miami area (obviously) or Orlando currently (HUGE Puerto Rican influx there of late), but, Tampa is definitely a culturally diverse city, Hispanic and otherwise. In fact, TB essentially is Present Day America in a City! As major cities go. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-white-people/ But yeah, Tampa being a backwater is quite a humorous statement. I guess in a generalist sense, it is not a tourist center like some other cities are (New Orleans has 300+ year history and has had that much of a head start to market itself on that. So, Tampa Bay (besides the beaches) doesn't have the obvious, nationally known attractions that cities with more of a head start do, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of things to offer either). In a direct, economic sense, TB is likely the #5 Metro of the south right now after Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston. But in some ways, it might have more around it to offer visitors than a number of those. Perhaps modestly behind those on traditional cultural venues, but proximity to theme parks/beaches (even ignoring all the other attractions), is a bigger tourist draw than most of the other cities have. As a city itself, Tampa's form has some similarities IMO to New Orleans, but obviously at this point, it easily dwarfs NO economically.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 PM

70 posts, read 60,664 times
Quote:
Wait... A city that was built off the backs of Cubans and Spanish immigrants has a lot of Spanish food? Who would'a thought?

What attractions are you looking for that Tampa doesn't have?

Tarpon Springs isn't Tampa. Tarpon Springs isn't Hillsborough. Tarpon Springs does not represent Tampa in any way.

If you didn't know that Tampa is heavily latino, it means that you did absolutely no research on the area. If latinos bother you, I suggest not coming to Tampa.

Oppressively hot? In the SUNSHINE STATE? Man, I thought we got that nickname because of our cool, brisk 60 degree summers.

Second tier city? Compared to, what? The Tampa Bay Area is one of the biggest regions in Florida, Florida being the third largest state... It honestly sounds like you just came here to trash it.

Yes. A quick Google search should give you a ton of Tampa's African American history. Central Ave alone... Moses White, The Twist, etc.
Entire reply is spot on

No idea what gave OP that preconceived "backwater" notion

Last edited by floridaguy954; 11-27-2017 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 11:42 PM

70 posts, read 60,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The boat lift also helped add more to FL.
For sure. While I have a number of Cuban friends from Tampa that trace their roots back to the original Ybor immigrants, most of the Cubans I know from there are either themselves or children of Castro fleeing exiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay