Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I guess it's only fair that the people who pay taxes should help you buy your solar panels, eh?
Why not, you're getting help paying for your house, raising your rug-rats, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 01:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Use of solar energy is in the best interest of our society, IMO, I loved seeing solar fields in several states that I visited the last couple of years. No reason Florida doesn't take advantage of having strong, powerful sunshine for so many days out of the year. Seeing states use wind is equally great to see. Getting off coal should be a goal.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Why not, you're getting help paying for your house, raising your rug-rats, etc.
Raising rug rats part is done, but you are right about the mortgage interest deduction and other benefits of living in a system driven by taxation. We all wanted a less complicated tax structure. Be careful what you ask for; you may get it.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 AM

144 posts, read 94,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Use of solar energy is in the best interest of our society, IMO, I loved seeing solar fields in several states that I visited the last couple of years. No reason Florida doesn't take advantage of having strong, powerful sunshine for so many days out of the year. Seeing states use wind is equally great to see. Getting off coal should be a goal.
Tesla's solar roof might be a game changer:

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

I wouldn't want to add another "hurricane attractor" to my home (meaning something on top of my roof), and I wonder if my HOA would even allow it.

But when it comes time to replace my roof, I'd try to get them to let me use solar roofing tiles.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,239,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-fan View Post
Tesla's solar roof might be a game changer:

https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

I wouldn't want to add another "hurricane attractor" to my home (meaning something on top of my roof), and I wonder if my HOA would even allow it.

But when it comes time to replace my roof, I'd try to get them to let me use solar roofing tiles.
We had discussed these solar panels earlier, they look interesting. If it was time for new roof or I had new construction I'd really consider them. They don't detract from the appearance of the house and can't even tell they are solar panels.

As for HOA allowing it:
Quote:
Florida law forbids any entity—including homeowner associations—from prohibiting the installation of solar or other renewable energy devices on Florida buildings. An association may require approval of a system installation, and may establish restrictions for installations. However, any such restrictions must be reasonable, not arbitrary, and applied in a uniform manner for all association members. Also, any restrictions must not have the effect of impairing the performance, or increasing the cost, of a solar system.

Source: The Florida Solar Rights Act

Old 12-13-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
We had discussed these solar panels earlier, they look interesting. If it was time for new roof or I had new construction I'd really consider them. They don't detract from the appearance of the house and can't even tell they are solar panels.

As for HOA allowing it:
I've read the Florida Solar act, and I've also dealt with the reality of Florida homeowner associations. If your HOA volunteer leaders don't want you to do something, they can mess with your life (and it's ironic that your dues pay for part of that). I was a target of a frivolous lawsuit for six months. No fun. In the end all of our costs were covered, but if I had to do it over again, I would have just dumped the place before the conflict.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,239,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis-fan View Post
I've read the Florida Solar act, and I've also dealt with the reality of Florida homeowner associations. If your HOA volunteer leaders don't want you to do something, they can mess with your life (and it's ironic that your dues pay for part of that). I was a target of a frivolous lawsuit for six months. No fun. In the end all of our costs were covered, but if I had to do it over again, I would have just dumped the place before the conflict.
Having served on HOA Board I know that no HOA wants to violate any state or regulatory statute. State Attorney's will step in to remedy the situation if necessary, but any educated HOA board will not go down that path as they know they will lose.

Here's the Florida Statute, it's pretty clear:

163.04 Energy devices based on renewable resources
Quote:
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter or other provision of general or special law, the adoption of an ordinance by a governing body, as those terms are defined in this chapter, which prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting the installation of solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources is expressly prohibited.
(2) A deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement may not prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or binding agreement. A property owner may not be denied permission to install solar collectors or other energy devices by any entity granted the power or right in any deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement to approve, forbid, control, or direct alteration of property with respect to residential dwellings and within the boundaries of a condominium unit. Such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed on the roof within an orientation to the south or within 45° east or west of due south if such determination does not impair the effective operation of the solar collectors.
(3) In any litigation arising under the provisions of this section, the prevailing party shall be entitled to costs and reasonable attorney’s fees.
(4) The legislative intent in enacting these provisions is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by encouraging the development and use of renewable resources in order to conserve and protect the value of land, buildings, and resources by preventing the adoption of measures which will have the ultimate effect, however unintended, of driving the costs of owning and operating commercial or residential property beyond the capacity of private owners to maintain. This section shall not apply to patio railings in condominiums, cooperatives, or apartments.
History.—s. 8, ch. 80-163; s. 1, ch. 92-89; s. 14, ch. 93-249; s. 1, ch. 2008-191; s. 3, ch. 2008-227.
I already know my HOA will approve, we have several homes with the "ugly" solar panels, the Tesla panels look great, and combine that with a Tesla PowerWall that would really be sweet.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Well, after getting the community to recall our board of directors, I served on my BOD for a few years as treasurer and secretary. The old board did whatever the community lawyer told them to do, including (in my opinion) violating Florida statues. You probably were a good director, but I wonder about the percentages of good volunteer directors. My experience was 2 good ones vs. more bad ones than I can count.

I agree, these roof replacement panels look great on the web. But that doesn't mean your association will go for them. If they don't, my experience is don't fight it, accept your community the way it is, or move on.

Anyone can sue anyone, and I think life is too short do deal with that type of drama.

P.S. if you want a reality break, read:

CONDO + HOA Court Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Having served on HOA Board I know that no HOA wants to violate any state or regulatory statute. State Attorney's will step in to remedy the situation if necessary, but any educated HOA board will not go down that path as they know they will lose.

Here's the Florida Statute, it's pretty clear:

163.04 Energy devices based on renewable resources

I already know my HOA will approve, we have several homes with the "ugly" solar panels, the Tesla panels look great, and combine that with a Tesla PowerWall that would really be sweet.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,050 times
We own homes in Gulfport, FL and in Central Mexico.

The two most important factors in determining whether to install solar panels are:
- Cost of panels and installation
- Time to recoup cost of panels

I got estimates on both homes to go solar. In FL the cost of panels was nearly 100% higher than in Central Mexico. In FL, the payback time was estimated at 10-12 years. In Mexico, my payback time is 3 years.

We got solar panels for our MXN home and are exceedingly happy with them....we have ZERO electric bills! I do not see the payback/cost incentive to install panels in FL at this time.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,661 times
That’s helpful to know the payback time. In Minnesota, the payback time is 8 to 10 years from what I’ve heard. Minnesota has less sunny days than Florida, but also has subsidies. I’ve checked out rooftops in Florida for solar panels using Google Earth. Not many solar panels in Florida from what I’ve seen on Google Earth. I was wondering how the solar panels could withstand hurricanes. I’ve also seen solar panel grids mounted on top of poles,near homes, so that the problem with installing the solar panels on roofs could be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay