Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:13 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times

Advertisements

we wanted some work done in our bathroom and we hired a remodeling contractor based on personal referral.

We got estimates and did the work order. Paid him 50% down(2K) to buy the materials and then another 50%(2k) after completion.

Contractor was supposed to start work on Monday, he called in sick the next 2 days, didn't answer the phone yesterday and then, today he changed his estimate and demanded more money. We said we just want to cancel the work order and to return our money.

As expected, he is ignoring our calls and hasn't bothered to respond to our texts or emails.

Talked to the person who gave referral and he said he was happy with the work done(which was several months ago) even though there was delay in finishing the work.

Considering we are in the hole for 2K. What's our next step ?

Any tips from those who may have been in the same shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 01:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I presume you got his state/county contracting license number and insurance information?

If so, your first call should be to the County and then possibly law enforcement.

RM

Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,465,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I presume you got his state/county contracting license number and insurance information?

If so, your first call should be to the County and then possibly law enforcement.

RM
I have his business card which shows name of the LLC but no address and the work order receipt and upon closer examination, it does not have any license number.

Update: Using the name of LLC, I was able to search on sunbiz.org and found an address

Trying to see if it can be reconciled in other ways. Law enforcement and going to county would be possible steps but I'd take them if no other option is available.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
No contractor's license or proof of insurance?

And you were giving this person money to do work in your home?

Why?

RM

Old 01-26-2018, 03:30 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
PM me as I successfully got a judgment against a person who tried to do that to me and part of his probation is to pay restitution.

Which County?

Old 01-26-2018, 05:59 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Keep records of all communications with him. You made need it later.

Best of luck!

Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 PM

325 posts, read 441,316 times
Any time that someone who is going to perform a service for you asks for money before they start the job you terminate the transaction. Now. That is just basic common business sense.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:40 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Any time that someone who is going to perform a service for you asks for money before they start the job you terminate the transaction. Now. That is just basic common business sense.
I'm not sure I agree. I have found it is typical for contractors to expect 50% up front. Now, if you have good references and have checked the contractor's licenses, etc. that may be fine. I've hired a lot of contractors on that basis without a problem but always check the licensure, etc. Sadly, I think it is unusual to find a contractor willing to do the work first before receiving payment - they get ripped off too. Now if they wanted full payment up front I would be war since that is not market.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMachineshop View Post
Agree. NEVER NEVER NEVER give a worker a deposit. You ONLY pay UPON COMPLETION.

When you looked him up on sunbiz did it show him as active or inactive? Not that it matters too much at this point.
IMO, after him asking for more $ lol. Pretty much tells you what you already know. Your screwed!

Count it as a lesson learned.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
A flooring contractor absconded with our money after finishing only half the job. We contacted our local police and the officer told us what to do (send certified letters, etc). After the letters were all returned, the officer started a warrant on him for theft. Turns out the guy had done it before and there was another party after him too. Anyway the police traced the guy all the way to a neighboring state, and we got our money back in cash! So don't give up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay