Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:47 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
You won't be liking the peeps here i can see lee.
Another angry transplant. Just what we need, right?

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:50 PM

30,403 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Another angry transplant. Just what we need, right?

RM
Seems so...

Old 01-28-2018, 06:48 PM

140 posts, read 435,869 times
Hey folks,

Im not an angry person, haha. Thats really funny.

I have read several threads on here. People get into arguments, speak negatively, and can simply be rude to someone who is just asking a question. Seems odd to me to talk down to someone who is asking a question. I would think that you just would not respond if you were so annoyed by reading people ask the same questions over and over.

Im full of sunshine folks just thinking about moving. LoL. Simple.

Relax.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,367,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Hey folks,

Im not an angry person, haha. Thats really funny.

I have read several threads on here. People get into arguments, speak negatively, and can simply be rude to someone who is just asking a question. Seems odd to me to talk down to someone who is asking a question. I would think that you just would not respond if you were so annoyed by reading people ask the same questions over and over.

Im full of sunshine folks just thinking about moving. LoL. Simple.

Relax.
No annoyance. What's off-putting is when someone comes into the forum and asks questions that have come up interlay hundreds of times without ever searching first. Not saying that's what you did, just that if you looked over the last 3-4 years in the forum the same things get asked over and over again, that's all.

RM

Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,843,568 times
I would be full of sunshine if I was leaving that hellhole called NoVa/DC too (I assume you are in DC now, maybe not)! In fact, I did the same move in 2008 (lived in Oakton) and have never looked back.

I am not at all familiar with the area where the VA is but I would venture to say that it's certainly not ideal. What I would recommend to you is Westchase. I think that is exactly what you are looking for. 30 min to the VA. 45 min to the Gulf beaches.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:04 PM

4,475 posts, read 3,843,568 times
I myself do not mind replying the same stuff to the same questions. As a matter of fact you are prolly the 15th or 20th person I have seen coming from the DC area to ask about Tampa. Anyway I can help, let me know!

Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 PM

699 posts, read 2,218,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslily View Post
Any suggestions of areas to look for housing based on what I shared? Any specific communities you recommend?

It comes down to whether you want to live in Hillsborough where you'll have a short commute to work with a longer drive to the beach

or

whether you want to be halfway between your work & the beach, so maybe something in East Pinellas, or West Hillborough.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,598 times
As someone that just moved here for work, in the area you're looking...I can say that the driving is a bit bizarre/frustrating.

Mainly Bruce B Downs is what I have been on, but once you get on 275 it's pretty standard.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 649 times
born and raised in tampa, i move out to just north of fox's corner in odessa near tarpon springs road, it was fairly central to what you are talking about . just nw of the va hospital is suit case city. stay away was a nice area when i was a kid. i did maintenance at va in the 80's

Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,011,435 times
Wow, there are some pretty terrible suggestions on here. While Citrus Park is a decent, middle class area, there is nothing "upscale" about it. It's just another suburb where people can pretend to live in Tampa. I will say, given the choice between Carrollwood/Citrus Park vs. Brandon/South Hillsborough, I'll take Carrollwood/Citrus Park any day. That said, to be relatively close to the VA and the beaches (not so much "close" to either one, but closer), I'd suggest looking closer to Downtown Tampa. They're doing a lot of work in it right now, creating a lot of new housing options, and it will go on to be a really nice area. That said, they're still struggling to rent out/sell units out that way, and you should be able to find something nice for a decent price. If that's not really your thing, Tampa Heights, just outside of Downtown, will put you close to the interstate which will get you to beaches and work.

As others have pointed out, the area directly surrounding the VA is iffy. There are a lot of college students around the area, as USF is right across the street, but there are a lot of budget apartments in the area which bring out some of the worst in people. For proof, sign up for USF's crime watch app thing through your text messages. Something new going down on or near campus weekly. Temple Terrace will put you close to work, but not really close to the beaches, and Odessa is neither near the Pinellas beaches or near your job. Outside of that, Odessa is a ghost town. I think they have a Publix... And that's your only grocery store. You'd have to drive to one of the nearby cities to go shopping (like the ever desirable New Port Richey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay