U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 22,335 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I came to this website hoping for some good advise in a move to the Tampa area. This move is very exciting to me , who has lived in Pa my entire life!

Here is my situation:
I hopefully have job lined up in Sun City Center, FL which includes some surrounding areas such as Tampa, Bradenton, and maybe Venice on rare occations but mostly Sun City Center.

My boyfriend has a job lined up in Tampa.

I have a 5 year old as well, so moving to a safe area with good schools is a must!

We will probably rent for atleast the first 6-12 months until we feel out the areas.

Here are my questions:
What areas are safe (crime wise and storm wise) and offer good schools?
What areas should we avoid (if any) due to bad traffic?

I see conflicting information on the boards, so I thought I can get a more personal response from everyone.

Thank you sooooo much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 07:21 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,774,060 times
where exactly in tampa will your b/f be working?

I would suggest looking at a home in covington park which is in Apollo Beach. The elementary school is inside the community and the middle and high is across the street. Thats about 10 mins from sun city.

Bradenton and Venice would be VERY far from that area though.

I don't know why people think we get hurricanes all the time. Like I said in another thread I was born and raised here. Only been through 2 hurricanes and none were serious but that was back in miami. I have never heard of one hitting tampa in my life time.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Nitokenshi,
Thank you for your reply. Apollo Beach looks and sounds beautiful
Its good to know that Tampa does not get hurricanes, thats a relief! I really didnt know for sure. It sounds like Tampa has nothing but good to offer. I am also going to look into South Fork, that another person referred me to.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 PM

849 posts, read 3,201,718 times
Default Venice would be too far for BF

Now I know Nitokenshi will say it's half an hour
but he likes to put that lead foot of his down.
I see in his post that he's suggesting Apollo beach and that'd be a good choice. Just stay cool about storms. they are rare and learn what to do then do it if one is forecast. Better to evac. and be safe than to be foolish and get hurt.
However, with a kid a better choice is BRANDON, Not Bradenton. There've been some gang issues in Bradenton and schools are not as good. Brandon is in Hillsborough Co has good schools is very family, suburban and as safe as anyplace. It's an easy ride on I-75 to SCC and not bad for BF either. It's east of Tampa but accessible. Nice for a suburban sort of place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanersmom View Post
Hello everyone!
I came to this website hoping for some good advise in a move to the Tampa area. This move is very exciting to me , who has lived in Pa my entire life!

Here is my situation:
I hopefully have job lined up in Sun City Center, FL which includes some surrounding areas such as Tampa, Bradenton, and maybe Venice on rare occations but mostly Sun City Center.

My boyfriend has a job lined up in Tampa.

I have a 5 year old as well, so moving to a safe area with good schools is a must!

We will probably rent for atleast the first 6-12 months until we feel out the areas.

Here are my questions:
What areas are safe (crime wise and storm wise) and offer good schools?
What areas should we avoid (if any) due to bad traffic?

I see conflicting information on the boards, so I thought I can get a more personal response from everyone.

Thank you sooooo much

Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM

849 posts, read 3,201,718 times
Default NOw wait,

he didn't say Tampa doesn't get hurricanes. Heck, NJ gets hurricanes. This is the Atlantic Seaboard. What we said is they are fairly rare here. If you move to FL you have to assume there'll be some level of hurricane sometime. Just learn to prepare and you'll be safe. PA gets blizzards that can be every bit as devastating but like a blizzard you have time to prepare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanersmom View Post
Nitokenshi,
Thank you for your reply. Apollo Beach looks and sounds beautiful
Its good to know that Tampa does not get hurricanes, thats a relief! I really didnt know for sure. It sounds like Tampa has nothing but good to offer. I am also going to look into South Fork, that another person referred me to.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,774,060 times
Oh Bradenton is much more than half an hr. Let's just say anywhere from apollo beach is far. So brandon would be a good choice that's a 25 mins away and closer to other areas in tampa.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM

23 posts, read 21,502 times
Where did your BF get a job in Tampa?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM

Sorry
I believe in downtown Tampa Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD... Its for AT&T corporate. Sorry I am not too familar with the area yet? He is a Networking Engineer.

Last edited by tanersmom; 03-26-2008 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,855,055 times
That office is right across the street from the Stadium.
I worked in that office complex and there were ppl who traveled from Riverview, Brandon area. Depending on his hours, it would be 30-45 min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or