U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 10:44 AM

15 posts, read 89,490 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's a strange question - my boyfriend and I are moving to Brandon from the suburbs of St Paul, MN. We've been looking online at some basic stuff - restaurants in the area, coffee shops, shopping, etc. One thing we noticed is that the grocery stores seem different from what we're used to.

We have very large grocery stores here (2 major chains) - probably 30 to 40 aisles of groceries - huge deli - 4 aisles of frozen food - tons of produce - large variety of dairy products - are we going to find anything like that there!?!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM

3,926 posts, read 10,310,810 times
Yes and no. From your description, it sounds like we might have more stores, but they are smaller. The chain stores are Publix, Sweetbay, Winn Dixie, and Albertsons (I think that's all). Then there are the boutique stores such as Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Whaleys, Nature's Harvest, etc. And the super stores have groceries as well (Target & Walmart). We also have a few of Walmart's Neighborhood Market stores (groceries only). Let's just say there are lots of choices and no sales tax on food items!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Great! That helps a lot!! I've actually heard of some of the ones you list although we don't have them here.

We don't currently pay tax on food so that is good to know. You do pay tax on clothing though, right?!?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,900,148 times
Yep, tax on clothing..

I like Publix because they carry many things other stores don't carry. There stores are always clean and the ppl are nice. They will order you anything they don't carry. They have some great premade food too in the meat dept. Their fried chicken and deli chicken are very good. Meat tends to be a little more expensive but the quality was good.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 25,155 times
Smile Good Groceries

We are moving to Tampa from Minneapolis/St. Paul as well and used to live in Orlando. The grocery chains in FL - Publix and Albertsons are way way way better then Cub and Rainbow in MN. Although you do have to try out several different locations. For example, one Publix might be just ok, but go 2 miles down the road and you might find an incredible one, same thing with Albertsons. Oh, and Albertsons is owned by SuperValu who also owns Cub. WholeFoods, Wild Oates (east coast FL) and Fresh Market are very good... kind of like the Trader Joes in MN, but alot bigger.

One big difference... there is a grocery store and a Walgreens or Eckard/CVS on every street corner in FL.

In MN, we are used to every little suburb having it's own Target (sometimes 2) because they are headquartered here... not the case in FL. Although FL Targets have a outdoor garden section (and wine!!)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 AM

sandandwater - where abouts are you in the Cities now?!? We're living in Eagan. I'm a born and raised Minnesotan so I can not wait to get out of here and away from winter!

Thanks for the grocery store info. I'm pretty partial to the Rainbow right down the road from home now so knowing what to expect will help!

Wine at Target?!? Does life get any better than that?!? LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 PM

849 posts, read 3,204,581 times
Unhappy yep! tax on just about everything

including pre-made food in the deil. like those great rotisserie chickens
another couple of posters mentioned Super Target. I think there is now one in Brandon or it's on the way. I don't do Wal-Mart so can't speak to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede0726 View Post
Great! That helps a lot!! I've actually heard of some of the ones you list although we don't have them here.

We don't currently pay tax on food so that is good to know. You do pay tax on clothing though, right?!?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

58 posts, read 231,589 times
I can't comment on the grocery stores as compared to up north, but there are plenty. Publix (to me) is above and beyond any of the others in terms of cleanliness, variety and value.

As for Target, there is a regular Target in actual "Brandon" and a SuperTarget right near the border of Brandon and Riverview (I'm not sure which one it is in. The two are about three to four miles apart. There are also your typical super wal-marts.

Good luck and welcome (in advance)!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or