Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:19 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Apology for what? You are not comparing comparable valued homes. Remember those $1Million homes I provided yesterday for Chicago area, those were "assessed" at $80-90K and taxes of $20K, clearly showing that assessed has NOTHING to do with the value of the home relative to taxes. And it's not even comparable, it's clear the Virginia home is very remote and no where near water and 2/3 the value of home in Florida (per your information). But does look like nice area!

You clearly show you don't understand how to look at comparable homes. Show me a home in Florida in comparable location, then maybe we have something close to oranges to oranges. Maybe something like this home, $650K, rural, similar size home, similar age of home.... taxes of $2,800.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

Gotta be comparable to do a comparison.... Thanks for sharing.

BTW - I'm done on this subject, it's no longer meaningful....

Of course you are done. You have been proven to be a deceiver and a fabricator who accused me of, what was it? "BS" about my Virginia taxes? The only one uttering BS is YOU.

By the way Frederick County is not "a remote area." It’s an exurb of Washington DC.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-03-2018 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-03-2018, 06:49 PM

282 posts, read 163,417 times
If you find FL so distasteful what on earth are you doing here? There is no reason to be in a place that does not meet your needs or expectations. Life is to short to suffer indignities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Honestly do you ever watch the news? They catch a gator on someone's doorstep or in someone's pool once week. Pythons are mostly south of us for now; snakes are everywhere here, including in my backyard where I have encountered them countless times. My property taxes in Northern Virginia were a pittance compared to my taxes here ($2k on a $400,000 home vs. $7k on a $350,000 home here). Same goes for home insurance. I think my home insurance in Virginia was $600 a year. YES. $600 a year!!!! And in Virginia I had a variety of choices of big name national carriers (I had Travelers) to insure my home. Here in Florida there's only a handful of insurers and they might as well be called FlaNativeGrl Insurance Company, because they are companies nobody has ever heard of. In terms of public schools, I don't give a rat's ass since I have no kids. But I know that they do not compare in any way shape or form to public schools in the Northeast. You make it sound like going the charter or private school route is easy. It's not.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...borough-county

Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
If you find FL so distasteful what on earth are you doing here? There is no reason to be in a place that does not meet your needs or expectations. Life is to short to suffer indignities.
Distasteful? I never said anything of the kind.
Every place has its pros and cons, as I have said many times and said at the beginning of this thread!
Also, I'm a native Floridian born and raised, so I know more pros and cons about Florida than most people.
Some people do not like to see any criticism of Tampa or Florida, and that's just unreasonable and stupid.
Every person and place has room for improvement!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
We lived in Will County for most of the time and then was in Schaumburg area most recently until we moved here. Illinois taxes are crazy and going to get worse once they finally come to closure on how to fund the state pension deficit.

Thank you for responding. We are really done with the winters here, haha. Hope to be there full time soon!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Thank you for responding. We are really done with the winters here, haha. Hope to be there full time soon!
Yeah, and this year winter extended well into spring. I've been to a couple Cub home openers with flurries, but to actually see snow on the field and have their opener postponed this year due to snow, well, that was just crazy. Looks like spring has finally sprung there.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Of course you are done. You have been proven to be a deceiver and a fabricator who accused me of, what was it? "BS" about my Virginia taxes? The only one uttering BS is YOU.

By the way Frederick County is not "a remote area." It’s an exurb of Washington DC.

That home is 82 miles from Washington DC. Almost exactly the distance from Tampa to Orlando. So while technically an exurb you can find plenty of property with low taxes between Tampa and Orlando.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That home is 82 miles from Washington DC. Almost exactly the distance from Tampa to Orlando. So while technically an exurb you can find plenty of property with low taxes between Tampa and Orlando.
Really? Please find me a house in Florida between Tampa and Orlando that is assessed by the county at $415k and the taxes are $2k a year (like my house in Virginia).

Actually here is one. This house is 80 miles from Tampa and 20 miles from Orlando.

In 2011 when it was assessed at $414,541, the taxes were $7k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...41_rect/11_zm/

Here is a house in Plant City. The taxes are $2k. BUT THE ASSESSMENT IS $258K.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...74_rect/10_zm/

The assessment value is what is used for calculating taxes. And we have no control over that.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Really? Please find me a house in Florida between Tampa and Orlando that is assessed by the county at $415k and the taxes are $2k a year (like my house in Virginia).

Actually here is one. This house is 80 miles from Tampa and 20 miles from Orlando.

In 2011 when it was assessed at $414,541, the taxes were $7k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...41_rect/11_zm/

Here is a house in Plant City. The taxes are $2k. BUT THE ASSESSMENT IS $258K.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...74_rect/10_zm/

The assessment value is what is used for calculating taxes. And we have no control over that.
As said earlier by another poster, assessed value by itself is meaningless. The only meaningful calculation is assessed value x the rate.

You could have an assessed value of $100K and a multiple of 0.06. Or an assessed value of $200K and a multiple of 0.03. Both yield the same tax rate. It's all a shell game that local government plays. Some intentionally under assess, and some areas have assessment rates all of the place and are so messed up that people grieve their taxes almost annually to keep increases in check.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As said earlier by another poster, assessed value by itself is meaningless. The only meaningful calculation is assessed value x the rate.

You could have an assessed value of $100K and a multiple of 0.06. Or an assessed value of $200K and a multiple of 0.03. Both yield the same tax rate. It's all a shell game that local government plays. Some intentionally under assess, and some areas have assessment rates all of the place and are so messed up that people grieve their taxes almost annually to keep increases in check.

That's right. But apparently the local govts in Virginia play less of a shell game on residents than the local govts in Florida. Like I said. We have no control over assessed value or the mill rate. Like you said, it's a shell game. But somehow, the shell game in Virginia is much cheaper.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 AM

282 posts, read 163,417 times
Quote:
Distasteful? I never said anything of the kind.
Every place has its pros and cons, as I have said many times and said at the beginning of this thread!
Also, I'm a native Floridian born and raised, so I know more pros and cons about Florida than most people.
Some people do not like to see any criticism of Tampa or Florida, and that's just unreasonable and stupid.
Every person and place has room for improvement!

I am also FL born raised. You compared FL to other locales which is ridiculous. Taxes vary greatly depend on location as do real estate prices and other costs of living. Location could be a different county or a different town in the same county.

Has the cost of living, as well as the cost of doing business, increased over the years? Certainly. Just as it has elsewhere.

The OP is wise to inquire about negative situations in FL but comparisons to other states does not work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay