Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 6,143 times

Advertisements

I would never advise anyone buying a second home in a condo ....come to think of it I would never ever own a condo again - nothing good - all bad (eventually)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:39 PM

5,908 posts, read 7,241,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
^^^^^^^^
Not to pile on, but what he said!!!!

Condos are the biggest real estate scam there ever was, in my opinion. And that’s from someone who knows RCI directly, too.

RM
I re-read my comment and felt the need to clarify:

Time shares are the biggest real estate scam there ever was, in my opinion. And that’s from someone who knows RCI directly, too.

I guess if you bought a condo in a desirable area and used it as income property it could make sense, depending on the numbers. Seems like it would be a lot of hassle if it was for short term stays, however.

RM

Old 05-11-2018, 12:40 PM

35 posts, read 41,973 times
You did not mention what price range you are looking for. I would recommend you make plans to take a vacation in the St. Pete/ Clearwater area and explore to get an idea of which areas appeal to you and their cost.There have been many negative remarks made about condos. I have owned two condos for investment. Special assessments are possible and it is important to review the budget of the association before making a decision.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,149,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
Absolutely consider St. Pete! Depending on your budget, you can find a 2 bedroom condo near downtown St. Pete that will be within walking distance to antique shops, art galleries, museums, amazing restaurants and bars, and unique shopping. I highly recommend exploring Central Ave and The Edge district. You'll be within a 20 min drive to the white sandy beaches of Pass A Grille or St. Pete which were named one of the top beaches. I would consider it rental friendly and have seen many people do AirBnb successfully there.
Better have a large BUDGET FOR THAT^^^

Old 05-12-2018, 01:13 PM

17,462 posts, read 38,864,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Better have a large BUDGET FOR THAT^^^
I think you meant to say HUGE BUDGET! lol

Old 05-12-2018, 03:37 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,507,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I think you meant to say HUGE BUDGET! lol
Could probably find a bungalow in Old N.E. for cheaper.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:52 PM

226 posts, read 147,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
^^^^^^^^
Not to pile on, but what he said!!!!

Condos are the biggest real estate scam there ever was, in my opinion. And that’s from someone who knows RCI directly, too.

RM

Condo and rime share are 2 different animals but buying a time share isnt a smart bet

Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 2,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno23 View Post
Consult publications like Gulf Life and other resources online...forget the travel websites and opinion-based sites because there is too much personal bias, and of course surreptitious real estate sales people.

I would say however, do not buy into the condo market. Instead look at SF homes in nice areas. Like everything, it depends on your budget and you plans for the future. Lots of considerations to be made. Take your time. Tampa Bay is quite diverse in housing. Keep in mind, Tampa itself has no white sandy beaches. Those are in Pinellas County, Manatee County, Sarasota County and Collier county . None of it is cheap at present, and frankly it's now overpriced once again.

Again, there are lots of locations but money is the driver. I haven't seen any beachy type property worth a crap under 500k...yes a few condos, but the fees and special assessments will KILL you.

"Thanks I appreciate your suggestions. However, considering we won't be living there full-time, I was thinking that a condo would be less hassle. I could be wrong however, since I have never owned one."

Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno23 View Post
BTW, I used to live in LaJolla. I wouldn't have turned down that position. I moved however fulltime back to Sarasota County.

Why did you move back? Did you not find it really expensive? Even the gas is high there besides the sales tax and the traffic is pretty dense as well. Is the Pinellas county traffic bas as well?

Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
Absolutely consider St. Pete! Depending on your budget, you can find a 2 bedroom condo near downtown St. Pete that will be within walking distance to antique shops, art galleries, museums, amazing restaurants and bars, and unique shopping. I highly recommend exploring Central Ave and The Edge district. You'll be within a 20 min drive to the white sandy beaches of Pass A Grille or St. Pete which were named one of the top beaches. I would consider it rental friendly and have seen many people do AirBnb successfully there.
Thank you, I will look into Central Ave. and the Edge district. I love the beach, but can't spend all day everyday there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay