Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 06:18 PM

33 posts, read 33,381 times

Advertisements

So, my husband and I want to move to the St. Pete area in the next few months...closer to the beach would be ideal as stress reduction is something we are really trying to implement into our future. I lived there for a short stint a few years ago and really liked the chill vibe. Actually, I lived in a few places: Gulf Port and Clearwater and St. Pete itself. Found them all charming with that nice sea breeze in the air and would be willing to relocate to any of those areas again (or anywhere in between). Here's the thing, my husband has a sensory sensitivity to sound and we really need to be in an area that is not full of constant construction or traffic congestion. A generally serene environment (within reason) is pretty much our most important deciding factor. I have not been back to the St. Pete area in probably 5 years so I do not know if it has been built up a ton or changed in how 'loud' it is. I need you guys' advice.... We are really hoping to IDEALLY find a place to rent for around $1000/month or less and hopefully just a quick bike ride - within 10 min or so? - away from the ocean. Could you direct me to what areas are not super touristy or just "loud" in general for that matter? Again, hoping to avoid a ton of traffic (definitely don't want to live close to Tampa for example or a bigger city area, but it definitely does not have to be St. Pete proper. Heck, I'd go as far south as Indian Shores or even further south for the right price - we ARE on a budget - and/or right environment. The advice of the current locals and residents is much, much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 11:20 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,506,478 times
You might find a trailer park or maybe a campground that has a serene lot in the back of it for around $1000. month. I'm not sure about no noise, no traffic, no congestion, and not many tourists and a 10 min bike ride to the beach though. Pinellas County is pretty congested IMO.
Sorry.
Maybe consider looking at Pasco County which is just north of Pinellas County

Last edited by KPB; 05-12-2018 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 09:28 AM

17,457 posts, read 38,855,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
You might find a trailer park or maybe a campground that has a serene lot in the back of it for around $1000. month. I'm not sure about no noise, no traffic, no congestion, and not many tourists and a 10 min bike ride to the beach though. Pinellas County is pretty congested IMO.
Sorry.
I agree. Pinellas County is the most congested built-out county in the state. St. Pete is not cheap, doubt you can find something a quick bike ride to the water in your price range. Maybe try Tarpon Springs?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 AM

What about the Clearwater area?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:46 AM

30,166 posts, read 20,881,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree. Pinellas County is the most congested built-out county in the state. St. Pete is not cheap, doubt you can find something a quick bike ride to the water in your price range. Maybe try Tarpon Springs?
They can live for half the price in west Pasco. Even get a 2bedroom house for under 700 a month. Many people i know are renting homes for $500 a month. Tarpon the prices would jump 3 times higher. Once you hit the Pasco line the prices drop way down for renting in these 2 bedroom house hoods. But cheap comes at a price of run down homes, panty anty drug dealers everywhere and just ugly looking hoods. Pasco has no code to enforce and just lets these hoods keeping running down. I pray Flood Ins cost go up so high they level everything west of US19 and clean out the trash. Best to move 90 miles up the coast near Levy county.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Sorry.
Can you suggest a few cities in Pasco County that might match what we are looking for?

Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,506,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
Can you suggest a few cities in Pasco County that might match what we are looking for?
Can't really think of any that are close to the beach though.
I kind of like the area of Aripeka but there's nothing around there, which is why I like it.

Maybe even look around Weeki Wachi as well,

The problem is that rent has skyrocketed since you were here 5 years ago.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
They can live for half the price in west Pasco. Even get a 2bedroom house for under 700 a month. Many people i know are renting homes for $500 a month. Tarpon the prices would jump 3 times higher. Once you hit the Pasco line the prices drop way down for renting in these 2 bedroom house hoods. But cheap comes at a price of run down homes, panty anty drug dealers everywhere and just ugly looking hoods. Pasco has no code to enforce and just lets these hoods keeping running down. I pray Flood Ins cost go up so high they level everything west of US19 and clean out the trash. Best to move 90 miles up the coast near Levy county.
How does Levy county compare safety wise and price wise? Main thing is we are looking for quiet and affordable...

Old 05-13-2018, 10:02 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,773,292 times
Unfortunately St Pete has been"discovered" and the prices, IMHO, are insane. We tried to move there but could find nothing in our price range <550k. The houses were selling like hotcakes. Anything remotely nice or reasonable, sold in days. Its also very congested and not relaxing. We loved the area and would come back to visit, but living there was not in the cards.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:18 AM

30,166 posts, read 20,881,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNoor View Post
How does Levy county compare safety wise and price wise? Main thing is we are looking for quiet and affordable...
It will be quiet and cheaper for sure. Even parts of Hernado near the coast is much better than Pasco. Anyplace can have crime rich or poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay