Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The vehicle very well may have been registered to the parents. So, there you have it.
It was, that doesnt shift negligence to them. 18yo licensed adult using a household car nothing negligible there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 03:27 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It was, that doesnt shift negligence to them. 18yo licensed adult using a household car nothing negligible there.
Well, I guess we'll see how a judge or jury interpret it.

FWIW, I was advised to make the kids get their own policies when they reached a certain age by our family attorney (friend of the family on retainer for free basically).

I fully understand your point, but it seems that we're dealing with an extended reach lately in many legal areas. Heck, is Ford going to be sued by the family?

Old 06-04-2018, 05:14 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Well, I guess we'll see how a judge or jury interpret it.

FWIW, I was advised to make the kids get their own policies when they reached a certain age by our family attorney (friend of the family on retainer for free basically).

I fully understand your point, but it seems that we're dealing with an extended reach lately in many legal areas. Heck, is Ford going to be sued by the family?
If the car is not insured thenthe liability will go to the owner of the car BUT any good lawyer will go and see if there is money to be gotten from owners of the car.

The parents may have their assets in jeopardy but not criminal issues for parents as the drivers will be charged.

Florida is a no fault state so basically the amount the car was insured for is what can be at stake unless it becomes a bad faith case which I doubt the insurance company will let happen.

So if there is a policy for $50,000 that’s what the insurance has to pay out but lawyers may go for personal liability which is a different case.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the car is not insured thenthe liability will go to the owner of the car BUT any good lawyer will go and see if there is money to be gotten from owners of the car.

The parents may have their assets in jeopardy but not criminal issues for parents as the drivers will be charged.

Florida is a no fault state so basically the amount the car was insured for is what can be at stake unless it becomes a bad faith case which I doubt the insurance company will let happen.

So if there is a policy for $50,000 that’s what the insurance has to pay out but lawyers may go for personal liability which is a different case.
I don't think anything was said about the parents being in any kind of criminal jeopardy. On the civil side, given that they appear to be at least somewhat affluent they probably have solid insurance coverage, probably an additional liability umbrella on their policy. But then again, maybe not. My sis-in-law was seriously injured in an auto accident (not FL but another no-fault state). The driver who hit her was quite wealthy, but only had the state minimum insurance coverage. The attorney was able to secure additional damages, fortunately, from the at-fault driver.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Why would you assume they don't have insurance. Anyway the mother is a State farm executive, I know that much.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Why would you assume they don't have insurance. Anyway the mother is a State farm executive, I know that much.

yes and one of the most crooked insurance companies in the world . I hope that father of the baby and whoever else gets a really smart lawyer and he or she gets him every penny he can get .

Old 06-04-2018, 11:43 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I hope these parents loose everything because that father and husband has . Let them be sued for their 1.4 million dollar home and everything they own . I pray that some of my family is on the jury or people like my family as well . I think it is high time the court system make an example out of these elite society parents and these snowflake entitled spoiled brats they are raising . I tell you why some of those people did not want to talk to the newspaper about them is because they probably have been throwing their weight around their neighborhood for years and those people have probably been throwing money at a problem to say make it go away , we all know the type .

Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I hope these parents loose everything because that father and husband has . Let them be sued for their 1.4 million dollar home and everything they own . I pray that some of my family is on the jury or people like my family as well . I think it is high time the court system make an example out of these elite society parents and these snowflake entitled spoiled brats they are raising . I tell you why some of those people did not want to talk to the newspaper about them is because they probably have been throwing their weight around their neighborhood for years and those people have probably been throwing money at a problem to say make it go away , we all know the type .

THIS>>>>>I think it is high time the court system make an example out of these elite society parents and these snowflake entitled spoiled brats they are raising

YES YES YES phonelady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

764 posts, read 392,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
The boys parents are gonna be done financially after this. The driver's still gonna have to do some time, probably just a few years though, maybe 10.
Very sad situation. On vacation, suppose to be having fun, making memories, not funeral arrangements.
The husband/dad watched it happen from across the street from what I heard.
How horrifying for that husband/father! I can't even imagine it. Those brats have to have the book thrown at them. Who gave them this high-powered (someone said?) car, daddy? He should pay too.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 PM

490 posts, read 583,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Highly doubt it! And even if I was, thankfully there's thousands of people in this area who think just like me!
If you don't believe me, just read the comments under that article. They are TOAST!
That's a scary and sad thought, though true enough there is no shortage of mean ,miserable, know it all, cantankerous people in the area with too much time on their hands. The tragedy of the accident doesn't relinquish the accused (,guilty) to get a fair trial. In the trial factors must be accessed to determine guilt and punishment. Under your draconian authoritarian mentality our laws have no purpose.

I am sure if someone in a age group you identify with broke the law by driving on revoked license due to failing eye sight or dementia and hit the gas instead of the brake hitting and killing/disfiguring young kids standing at a school bus stop you would want them to have a trial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: