U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM

119 posts, read 482,006 times

Advertisements

Hello - my significant other wants to get a bulldog. Does anyone know of apartment centers or communities or condo rentals that would allow a bulldog? Especially in South Tampa or a safe, vibrant area with a view of the water?

Last edited by BJS1981; 03-28-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 PM

52 posts, read 173,614 times
Default Tampa not so dog friendly

Well, I'm from Denver and i feel like having a dog can be more of an inconvenience here. People in general seem less enthusiastic about dogs and they are less prevalent. I had more trouble finding a place that would accommodate me. Can depend on the size of the dog. Easier to find a place that tolerates little dogs. Good luck.

Last edited by biggoose9000; 03-28-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,851,698 times
Many apts take dogs, it is the size and lbs that are the issue. Many have a 20-30 lb limit. A bulldog is small in stature but will be more in lbs when full grown.

Check the apartmentguide.com. They should tell you if they accept dogs.

I know the Cove accepts dogs, but I don't know the weight limit.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,559,223 times
I came to FL after 3 years in MA and NOBODY up there let me have my 20 lb beagle except a private owner, so FL seemed like DOG HEAVEN to me!!! I have never had a problem finding a place that will rent to people with dogs (though we own now). There may be weight limits and there may be breed limits--but a bulldog is not on the scary breed list

Which kind of bulldog? French? English? Aren't there size differences?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:11 PM

52 posts, read 173,614 times
Default are dogs embraced in tampa?

i'm just trying to get at...

are dogs accepted in florida. in colorado where i'm from in the downtown everyone has a dog and there are lots of dog parks. what is the quality of life for dogs in florida?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:19 PM

849 posts, read 3,201,520 times
Default generally very good

we've had problems on both sides with pit bulls and other breeds.
If the OP is really referring to a Pit it is a problem. My complex bans them. Several breeds are considered dangerous and complexes just won't allow them because of THEIR liability. Most large complexes will allow some dogs and a few will allow large but not "dangerous" ones. private LL's are another story and condos may "allow' them but as the tenant of a single owner, not a fee paying HOA member there may be problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggoose9000 View Post

are dogs accepted in florida. in colorado where i'm from in the downtown everyone has a dog and there are lots of dog parks. what is the quality of life for dogs in florida?

Old 03-30-2008, 07:08 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,851,698 times
There are several dog parks around Tpa. There is a dog beach/park on Davis Island. I would say Tpa isn't as dog friendly as CO but there are more apts allowing larger dogs now than in the past. It is better than it use to be..

It gets 'hot' in FL so most ppl don't walk their dogs during the heat of the day, but either in the AM or later in the day during summer. Most dog parks have 'pools' and drinking fountains for the dogs. The one I went to was shaded and had several covered picnic tables. They also had a small and large dog area.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-30-2008 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: added

Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,619,004 times
Quote:

I think dogs are very accepted here....when new developments and residential projects go in fro nt of the city council, i almost always here from one or two of the council members "where is the dog park/walk located"...

Lots of dog parks in the area, my favs include Picnic Island's Dog Beach, Davis Islands Dog Beach and Park(although that one can get very busy), Gadsden Dog Park near MacDill AFB, Fort DeSoto Dog Park and Dog Beach and Cypress Point Dog Park also on the Bay.

There are also many dog events/gatherings, New World Brewery and MacDintons always hold some kind of dog event(New World Brewery on Sundays), and there is always Bark in the Park events.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 03-30-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 08:22 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,968,118 times
We are moving to a small subdivision on Tampa Bay and they have a dog park- which really impressed us. I'm sure it just depends on the neighborhood but Tampa seems dog friendly!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,293,708 times
Quote:

I was disappointed by the lack of fenced in dog beaches (my dog can't be somewhere that isn't fully fenced). There is one in Tampa Bay, but it's pretty gross! There are some nice big dog parks, however. You just need to bring LOTS of water to keep your dog cool. I'd say that QOL of dogs is good, but my poor dog just HATES it because it's sooooo hot for her (huskey/shepard!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
we've had problems on both sides with pit bulls and other breeds.
If the OP is really referring to a Pit it is a problem. My complex bans them. Several breeds are considered dangerous and complexes just won't allow them because of THEIR liability. Most large complexes will allow some dogs and a few will allow large but not "dangerous" ones. private LL's are another story and condos may "allow' them but as the tenant of a single owner, not a fee paying HOA member there may be problems.
Bull dogs and pit bulls are two totally seperate dogs breads. The OP should be fine with a bull dog.

I had no problem finding complexes that allowed my 50 lb. dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay