Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 10,789 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I attended a job fair up here in Pittsburgh, PA. We talked to the Pasco County District and we both were offered a chance to interview. After our interviews, we were offered jobs, along with 3 others. We are seriously considering making the move. We can work at any of the elementary schools in Pasco County, and if we are moving all the way to Florida, we are living on the coast.

What advice do you have for the both of us?

Could we afford living there with us both making $36,400 a year, and we'd live together so two people on $72,800 a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM

68 posts, read 288,806 times
I think you could afford to live here on that salary, especially if you can find some inexpensive rent (the glut of apts and condos make that possible).

Old 03-29-2008, 10:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
You can get a 2 bedroom in someplace like this for $1100 a month.
Some places even cheaper, or you could go high end and get a 4 bedroom house on the water for around $1500.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM

we don't have to neccessarily live on the water, but I want to be close enough to the coast. I see that you are a real estate agent, do you have an email address

Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher_from_pa View Post
we don't have to neccessarily live on the water, but I want to be close enough to the coast. I see that you are a real estate agent, do you have an email address
You can get my contact info from my profile.
Just click on my name.
I am not allowed to put it in a post.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:14 PM

are there any residents with any advice?

Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 PM

20 posts, read 88,550 times
Yea for recruitments! I was recruited from Ohio by Pinellas County, Pasco also tried but Pinellas was a better fit for me.

Yes, you can definitely survive w/the money that you both will be living on. Oh, and look into Pinellas, we just had a pay raise.

I know that you will have to go down there for their teacher-placement fair, take a few more days and scope out the area THROUGHLY. Look at rentals and if you even like it around there. When my hubby and I went down for my fair we didn't take the extra days and got an apartment sight-unseen. We got lucky on getting a nice place in a nice neighborhood but not all are as lucky.

CONGRATS!!!!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Angry I so don't want to answer this

but thanks for posting it because it certainly shows that local school boards will take a 22 year old from out of state over a 55 year who wants to change careers from here. It's not your fault but how dare they spend our tax money on RECRUITMENT events out of state when there are local, qualified people crowding the events they hold here!

Enjoy your lives but try living on just one of those incomes and save the other. It can be done because in, oh maybe 25-30 years you'll need the money because some 22 year old totally green person will get the job that you, by virtue of a whole ton of experience, you can't imagine now, are way more qualified for.
FYI, Pasco is not the best part of the coast. You need to be in Pinellas. Enjoy the commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher_from_pa View Post
My girlfriend and I attended a job fair up here in Pittsburgh, PA. We talked to the Pasco County District and we both were offered a chance to interview. After our interviews, we were offered jobs, along with 3 others. We are seriously considering making the move. We can work at any of the elementary schools in Pasco County, and if we are moving all the way to Florida, we are living on the coast.

What advice do you have for the both of us?

Could we afford living there with us both making $36,400 a year, and we'd live together so two people on $72,800 a year?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:35 AM

20 posts, read 88,550 times
Oh, get over yourself jessiesma.

At the recruitment event that was taking place for me, there were MANY Florida districts represented along with California, Georgia, the Carolinas, everywhere. When I took my position they were needing higher-qualified teachers, I happened to have the right certifications unlike other teachers that had interviewed for the position. Also, having talked with many people down here the Florida Schools of Education are not properly educating their students. They are simply not ready to join the workforce. My university's main program was education, therefore when I came in I knew what to do and how to do it unlike the two FL teachers who only lasted three days and then quit. Many counties in Florida are just trying to get better teachers in their schools, that's all. Haven't you looked at the US school ratings? The northern states they are recruiting from are all FAR above Florida.

So to end this, get off the poor girl's back! A JOB IS A JOB. Not all people want to stay in their hometown, some actually want to go out and explore.

Last edited by RioKohitsuji; 03-30-2008 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

849 posts, read 3,526,897 times
Default NO a job isn't a job

as we get older, there are sometimes things that make us less able to jsut take off as you did.
YOu may be right about FL education. Great! a state that can't educate people well enough to teach there own???HOwever my DH is not Florida educated. He graduated from a NY Private University 30 years ago. He has ahd much life experience and interests and is very well educated in areas beyond Language Arts. If you're rigth, maybe the people who interviewed him were also right taht he's OVERQUALIFIED. Wait until you need a job and get that line handed ot you over and over. If eels even better [sarcam] than being told you don't have enough qualifications.
Go Exploree, Just not at my expense.
But pleawe re-read I said it's not her fault. I was upset at the school board sending out recruiters. And BTW theis si the first anyone has heard fo Pasco county hiring 350 teachers. Certainly they won't be all this year. It will take many years if ever for those 4 schools to be built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioKohitsuji View Post
Oh, get over yourself jessiesma.

At the recruitment event that was taking place for me, there were MANY Florida districts represented along with California, Georgia, the Carolinas, everywhere. When I took my position they were needing higher-qualified teachers, I happened to have the right certifications unlike other teachers that had interviewed for the position. Also, having talked with many people down here the Florida Schools of Education are not properly educating their students. They are simply not ready to join the workforce. My university's main program was education, therefore when I came in I knew what to do and how to do it unlike the two FL teachers who only lasted three days and then quit. Many counties in Florida are just trying to get better teachers in their schools, that's all. Haven't you looked at the US school ratings? The northern states they are recruiting from are all FAR above Florida.

So to end this, get off the poor girl's back! A JOB IS A JOB. Not all people want to stay in their hometown, some actually want to go out and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay