Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:40 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

OP, don't give up. Look around Lakeland. Most people here tend to dismiss Lakeland and/or Polk County in general because they don't know much about it. There is quite a bit of manufacturing and warehouse situations in Lakeland. Just do a little research online and you should turn something up. Cost of living is also less around there. Of course as with any city or town there are good and bad areas. Find the job first, and the housing will follow. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa73 View Post
Bummer :/ We saw some nice places online but nice to know ahead of time what it's like from people that live in Florida. Looks like we might have to go back to the idea of a 55+ park and not a house. I do know that Florida pays much less that Pa. Factories have been dying out up here left and right . I worked at Harley Davidson for awhile and was layed off and have been bumping around to different factory jobs for awhile. The current place is the longest I've been anywhere (10 years).
Just so you are aware, the 55+ part doesn't preclude trailer parks from being sketchy. This is largely dependent on area. Some places do criminal background checks, a friend of mine had to go through that when he bought his modular home in a 55+ community. One other thing to consider, trailer parks are often under mandatory evacuation during a hurricane. My friend had to evacuate during Irma. He was able to stay with someone else in town who had a SF home that was not under evacuation orders.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Great advice in the above post. Find the job and then the home.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Some websites to look at for jobs and ultimately an area to move to =
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.oxoQW8ZI_NE

Old 06-18-2018, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 8,208 times
Thank you so much! You guys have been super helpful! So glad I decided to post. So much info I didn't know about. I'll check into Lakeland. I really just need a job to have health insurance.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 8,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSasser View Post
Realtor here. I currently have a mobile home in a beautiful park for sale on Lake Seminole for $67,000! Community dock on the lake for a boat and an ownership share of the park! (sorry for the salesiness but it really is a very nice park).

Tampa Bay is a larger metro area than Denver and with that size you will have neglected parts and fancy parts. We have millions of people here making a living, thriving, and building a great life for themselves every day.

Most mobile home parks I've run into over in Pinellas are a strict no pets policy except service animals, but that varies park to park.

We will be having tremendous growth in the next few years. They just finished widening the Panama canal and Florida (Miami in particular) is slated to become one of the largest ports in the country. There has already been tremendous investment from businesses on large warehousing in the central part of the state with more to come.

So I'm guessing the one you have for sale now is a no pet park also? Most of the land owned parks I've seen are no pets. I guess they wouldn't fall for 2 service english bulldogs???

Old 08-04-2018, 07:26 PM

67 posts, read 60,640 times
Checkout Seminole.Its close to the beach,has a biking trail,newer outdoor shopping center and people in the 55 and older demographic. It's a relatively safe area,for sure safer than Pasco Co.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! Little about us. We live in Pa currently. As long as I can remember I've wanted to live in Florida. My Great Aunt lived in Tallahassee. I currently work in the research and development side of HVAC. It is NOT what I want to do the rest of my life. My husband can retire next year from the same job but I'm only 45 so I am looking for an area of Florida where I could get a manufacturing or warehouse job. I want to stay on the gulf side. I just don't know where all the industry is?

We don't have a ton of money. I was looking at houses in the Holiday area but I don't know if there is anything there as far as a job? Otherwise we were thinking of a 55+ community but finding one that will let us have our 2 english bulldogs is proving to be a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for any help! I'm starting our search early because I know it's proving to be a bigger task than I thought.
If your husband is 55+ you can live in Sun City Center south of Tampa. The Amazon warehouse is right close by. I think you can have your two English bulldogs, depending on which HOA within Sun City Center you move to. Some HOAs let you have the dogs, some don't. And there are some houses there that are non-HOA.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:18 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! Little about us. We live in Pa currently. As long as I can remember I've wanted to live in Florida. My Great Aunt lived in Tallahassee. I currently work in the research and development side of HVAC. It is NOT what I want to do the rest of my life. My husband can retire next year from the same job but I'm only 45 so I am looking for an area of Florida where I could get a manufacturing or warehouse job. I want to stay on the gulf side. I just don't know where all the industry is?

We don't have a ton of money. I was looking at houses in the Holiday area but I don't know if there is anything there as far as a job? Otherwise we were thinking of a 55+ community but finding one that will let us have our 2 english bulldogs is proving to be a needle in a haystack.

Thanks for any help! I'm starting our search early because I know it's proving to be a bigger task than I thought.
I have a suggestion for you - just don't move here.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Adding to my previous comment - anyone who actually reads this forum and makes any decisions on major life changes without doing your own internet research based on what people say here is foolish. You have been warned.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Also to the realtor, you didn't tell them that they will have to evacuate in the event of a Category 1 hurricane or even a tropical storm if they buy a mobile home. And they will need a place for the dogs to go as they can't be in public shelters. Also they can plan on lot rent going up every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay