Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 3,393 times

Advertisements

I am in desperate need of an emissions test to get my 'Georgia' Tags updated. I cannot get Florida plates because I have a lien in Georgia.

I also know that Florida doesn't have an emissions requirement. Just trying to find someone who has went through a similar situation and where did you go to get your emissions tested?

I'm located in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:46 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,771,556 times
First, how does a lien prevent you from getting FL tags? I had a lien on the title of my vehicle when I moved here, because I only bought the vehicle two weeks before I moved here. I got a copy of the title (which showed the lien), then took it with me to the tax collector and got my FL tags. Only complication was that I had to wait for a paper title, because my previous state has electronic titles just like FL. They gave me a paper temporary tag until the title came and at that point I got the metal license plate. Once I paid the car off, the bank sent me a confirmation that they notified the state of FL to remove the lien from the electronic title. I have that filed away in case I ever need to prove I paid the car off.

I can't see how you are not going to find any kind of testing facility that will satisfy the state of GA outside of GA. As you know, FL has no such requirements and therefore has no testing facilities.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:01 AM

The lien holder requires that I maintain title and registration in the state that I'm paying the vehicle on. Your situation is different in that you paid the car off. I still owe on the vehicle through a finance company in Atlanta.

Again, I know Florida doesn't require an emissions test. I'm looking for anyone who has dealt with this and was successful at getting it done here in Florida.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgledwards View Post
The lien holder requires that I maintain title and registration in the state that I'm paying the vehicle on. Your situation is different in that you paid the car off. I still owe on the vehicle through a finance company in Atlanta.

Again, I know Florida doesn't require an emissions test. I'm looking for anyone who has dealt with this and was successful at getting it done here in Florida.
I still owed on the vehicle through a finance company in Pennsylvania. I only paid the car off three years after moving to FL. In all my years I've never heard of a bank telling you that you can't move.

Good luck with your search. You are looking for something that does not exist. Think about it this way, where can you go renew your GA drivers license in FL?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Hey man, honest question out of naivety. I double checked and you're right. But it's also why I asked the question because I was searching for the answer.

I did not know the answer and so I asked.

Thanks for posting and leading me in the right direction.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:02 PM

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:33 PM

30,146 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Sounds like a nitemare to me blare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: