U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,930 times

Advertisements

I have been researching like crazy and am so confused! I've read all the posts on here, but none seem to match what I'm hoping for. My husband got a job at MacDill. He's not military, so no housing. However, his job is deployable, so I may be living alone part of the time. I have 2 friends who live in the Tampa area and they have both given me such opposite recommendations on areas to live, I'm at a loss!

We have always lived in a small, resort town (pop. 6,000) on Lake Michigan with beautiful homes, downtowns filled with parks, upscale boutiques, restaurants and virtually no crime. The nearest expressway is over an hour away. I don't need a mall nearby, yet, I'm used to upscale restaurants, nice housing, etc. My husband is aware of a longer than he's used to commute in FL, but I don't want him to have to drive two hours, just so I am happy in my rural area. I do not really want to be in a flood zone where we have to evacuate either. We are in our 30's and do not plan on having children, just our little dogs. We like going to dinner, art festivals, wine tastings, biking, long walks with the dogs, etc. That said, where should we look? I don't want to pull out of my driveway onto a 5 lane highway. I guess I'm looking for small town atmosphere, very safe, without a drive that will exhaust my husband! One friend is recommending Wesley Chapel, Land O'Lakes, New Tampa. The other is recommending Valrico and Brandon area.

Any suggestions to keep this small town girl happy?

Last edited by kathee672; 03-29-2008 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 9,241 times
I would recommend Brandon or Valrico. My opinion is that the commute to MacDill will be better because of the Selmon Crosstown Expressway that goes from Brandon to MacDill. Coming from one of those other areas will be really bad traffic everyday.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM

2,259 posts, read 8,807,615 times
Twin Lakes subdivision (guard on duty at night) in Valrico. If you want gated, look in River Hills subdivision 9on golf course) in Valrico (right across the street - Bloomingdale - from Twin Lakes). Lots of military families in Valrico, and also lots of people walking their dogs :-)

Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM

94 posts, read 332,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathee672 View Post
I have been researching like crazy and am so confused! I've read all the posts on here, but none seem to match what I'm hoping for. My husband got a job at MacDill. He's not military, so no housing. However, his job is deployable, so I may be living alone part of the time. I have 2 friends who live in the Tampa area and they have both given me such opposite recommendations on areas to live, I'm at a loss!

We have always lived in a small, resort town (pop. 6,000) on Lake Michigan with beautiful homes, downtowns filled with parks, upscale boutiques, restaurants and virtually no crime. The nearest expressway is over an hour away. I don't need a mall nearby, yet, I'm used to upscale restaurants, nice housing, etc. My husband is aware of a longer than he's used to commute in FL, but I don't want him to have to drive two hours, just so I am happy in my rural area. I do not really want to be in a flood zone where we have to evacuate either. We are in our 30's and do not plan on having children, just our little dogs. We like going to dinner, art festivals, wine tastings, biking, long walks with the dogs, etc. That said, where should we look? I don't want to pull out of my driveway onto a 5 lane highway. I guess I'm looking for small town atmosphere, very safe, without a drive that will exhaust my husband! One friend is recommending Wesley Chapel, Land O'Lakes, New Tampa. The other is recommending Valrico and Brandon area.

Any suggestions to keep this small town girl happy?
South tampa - Palma Ceia/Hyde Park Bayshore area. You didn't say what your budget is - those won't work if you're on a military pay scale.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,312,603 times
Based on the OP, I would echo the Brandon/Valrico areas (for your dh commute) and add Lithia and maybe Riverview into the mix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or