Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM

147 posts, read 157,791 times

Advertisements

Does Tampa Bay area have it's own unique culture? I am moving by Palm harbor been to Gulfport seemed to have lots of charachter.

I am asking because I am moving from Chicago and I want to have a different experience. What is different about Tampa Bay for instance Charlotte S.C. has it's southern charm.

I am a little worried that because there are so many transplants from Midwest and east coast that there may not be a culture or identity in Tampa Bay?

I know the beach and weather will create a different atmosphere but other than that what is the personality of Tampa Bay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Tampa is home to the only piece of Cuban land that you, as an American, can legally step foot on without a ridiculous visa.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times
Cuban land? We didn't find that in Dunedin which we thought was a cute little beach town vibe feel.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:33 AM

Is the Cuba land in ybor city I noticed the cigar history and largest restaurant not sure if it was Cuban?

But I am asking less if is Tampa cultured and more if dies Tampa have it's own culture.

I can see ybor city being part of Tampa identity and history.

I want the beach town feel.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
As Tampa is not on the coast, or does it have a beach, there is no “beach town feel” to it that I have ever experienced.

RM

Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 AM

I am talking Tampa Bay including coast Clearwater Dunedin St. Pete Beach dies the Tampa Bay metro area have a noticable culture

Old 06-28-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
I am talking Tampa Bay including coast Clearwater Dunedin St. Pete Beach dies the Tampa Bay metro area have a noticable culture
Having lived in a number of major cities in the US with noticeable cultural angles, I would say no for the most part.

RM

Old 06-28-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Having lived in a number of major cities in the US with noticeable cultural angles, I would say no for the most part.

RM
Thats unfortunate

Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Thats unfortunate
No, it's not, really. Nor is it any different from any large metropolitan area for the most part.

Understand that much of the area is populated by people who are not native Floridians, so they're bringing their own "culture" with them. Granted, you do have some parts where there is history, such as the Cuban-American and Italian populations in Ybor City, but those are mostly gone. Another "pocket" that might be considered is Tarpon Springs and the Greek community that exists there.

Outside of those parts, I can't think of a general "culture" that is present throughout the area.

Keep in mind that in cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Boston and San Francisco there are similar areas or neighborhoods that are of a particular culture or ethnicity, but those don't for the most part define those cities - they just add to them.

RM

Old 06-28-2018, 05:47 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
Quote:
Is the Cuba land in ybor city I noticed the cigar history and largest restaurant not sure if it was Cuban?
It is in Ybor City, directly across 8th Ave from the Church of Scientology, which is Ybor's cigar factory. The restaurant you're probably referring to is the Columbia, and it's on the other end of what most people would consider "Ybor City."

To the person above you, however: Hate to break it to you, but Tampa is a part of Tampa Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay