Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:22 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure you read that article, it explains why there are so many unfilled jobs. FedEx and UPS are both decent paying jobs but they are able to quickly fill those positions. If it were a great job people would be lining up to apply and they aren't.
Your correct, I didn't read it so I just did.
Its an article about the "lease to buy" program's that I mentioned to beware of, and talks strictly about port truckers only.

All I'm saying is a driver can make a pretty good living (100k yr+) either owner operator or company driver. If your an owner operator and have a decent broker theres no reason why a driver couldnt make $100k yr. Husband/wife team's make even more.

That's pretty good for a person with no education and no student loans to pay back.

The truck driver shortage is pertained to over the road drivers that stay out 2 weeks or more. Not many people will line up for any job that keeps them from there kids for that amount of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Your correct, I didn't read it so I just did.
Its an article about the "lease to buy" program's that I mentioned to beware of, and talks strictly about port truckers only.
All I'm saying is a driver can make a pretty good living (100k yr+) either owner operator or company driver. If your an owner operator and have a decent broker theres no reason why a driver couldnt make $100k yr. Husband/wife team's make even more.
That's pretty good for a person with no education and no student loans to pay back.
The truck driver shortage is pertained to over the road drivers that stay out 2 weeks or more. Not many people will line up for any job that keeps them from there kids for that amount of time.
From the article:

Quote:
"A few drivers told The Washington Post that they earn $100,000, but many said their annual pay is less than $50,000 (government statistics say median pay for the industry is $42,000). As for the bonuses, driver Daniel Gollnick said they are a “complete joke” because of all the strings attached.

Michael Dow $45,000 a year "I make less money now than I did 20 years ago if you adjust for inflation and cost of living. I figured it out once, and I was making $14 or $15 an hour driving for the big carriers"

Daniel Gollnick Yearly income: $45,000 “We got a $1 raise this year. We were at $17.50 an hour for most drivers. Now we're at $18.50. That barely covers inflation or anything.

Donna Penland $50,000 "You are supposed to get a day off after every seven days of driving, but companies prefer that you stay out 60 days and then take just a few days off. I gained 60 pounds because it's a sedentary life. You just drive, sleep, drive, sleep. Companies don't treat you like a human. You are a just a machine that makes money for them.”

Boris Strbac "Would you recommend this job? “Never. I wouldn't let my kids even think about doing this. This is a really, really hard job."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...-an-80000-job/
Etc... There is one new driver who "thinks" he will earn $60,000 and a guy who makes $100,000.

If this was a good job people would jump on it. At one time it was, truck drivers belonged to unions, got paid well and received great benefits, it's not like that anymore.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I agree with the fact that, there are so many apartment buildings being constructed all over Tampa Bay, but have you gone into any of them?

The problem, I see is the Apartments are ridiculously expensive and much smaller compared to older apartment buildings.

a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath costs $1,250 and is 675 square feet. That is basically a hotel suite at any Hilton Hotels. Who in the world is building these buildings?
The thing about it is, someone will rent them. If not, rents will come down. If they don't build new housing, the people with higher incomes will outbid the people with lower incomes for the existing housing stock. Don't believe it? Come to the San Francisco Bay Area where I live. Now it takes two professional level incomes to afford a small 3BR tract house...and now even the upper middle class are being priced out of small single family homes, which used to be affordable to the better paid working class folks back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Studio apartments that used to be rented by college students are now rented by professionals, etc.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 AM
KPB

Quote:
From the article:

Etc... There is one new driver who "thinks" he will earn $60,000 and a guy who makes $100,000.

If this was a good job people would jump on it. At one time it was, truck drivers belonged to unions, got paid well and received great benefits, it's not like that anymore.
OK.
Hardly any truck drivers make decent money.
The truck driving industry is a "scam".
It's not a good job now but it used to be.

Your absolutely rite!

Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
From the article:

Union truck driver are still around and Florida has them UPS and Yellow Freight and USF Holland, my oldest daughter is a truck driver in Michigan she is union and made $80,000 last year and is home every night it’s all about location in northern stares there are more union truck drivers because there’s more trucking companies, and the big 3 automakers have union truck drivers also. You have to pay your dues first when you first start off being a truck driver but most want to start off making the high dollar and it doesn’t work like that, you need experience behind the wheel before a major LTL companies like USF Holland and Yellow/ roadway will even consider hireing you.

Last edited by easy62; 08-06-2018 at 05:20 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 05:15 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,222 times
What other options does someone have that has no education to make good money? College is a scam for many people. They aren't academicly inclined. They go because everyone says they should and then drop out with nothing to show for it other than tens of thousands in debt.

I'm not saying truck driving is an ideal profession. In many ways, it sucks but does wasting your life making $9 an hour at Wal Mart or breaking your back making $13 an hour as a contractor constantly undercut with illegal immigrant labor much better?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logybogy View Post
What other options does someone have that has no education to make good money? College is a scam for many people. They aren't academicly inclined. They go because everyone says they should and then drop out with nothing to show for it other than tens of thousands in debt.

I'm not saying truck driving is an ideal profession. In many ways, it sucks but does wasting your life making $9 an hour at Wal Mart or breaking your back making $13 an hour as a contractor constantly undercut with illegal immigrant labor much better?
Try going to a trades school to learn a skilled trades like electrician, plumber/pipe fitter carpenter tool and die mold maker. Then you can get a job in any part of the country.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:34 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,375,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Try going to a trades school to learn a skilled trades like electrician, plumber/pipe fitter carpenter too and die mold maker. Then you can get a job in any part of the country.
Welders, too. Fabrication, pipeline and even the local shipyards have a hard time finding welders.

RM

Old 08-06-2018, 04:51 PM
KPB

You girls wouldnt know anything about those type jobs or that kind of work.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
I don't want to go off topic, but truck driving is rarely a good paying job anymore, in many cases it's turned out to be a scam https://www.usatoday.com/pages/inter...-with-nothing/
The article concerns a particular type of trucking in the Los Angeles area. Hardly a representative example of the industry nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay