U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM

66 posts, read 250,048 times

Advertisements

honestly, i would go with Tampa, NYC is very very expensive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 PM

190 posts, read 687,001 times
Raising a child, you want a safe environment, NYC is not really famous for that.

Do you want grass and a yard for the child, then go to Florida.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:39 PM

137 posts, read 484,563 times
Go with Tampa or St. Pete. If you've never been to the USA and plan on living here, NYC might be a culture shock. I have family in Italy and when they visited us when we lived in NY they hated it. They visit in FL and want to buy a summer home. With the Euro dollar being almost double the american dollar you should do very well in the Tampa/St. Pete area...just make sure you secure a job for your husband. A lot of people move back because they cannot find work. Good Luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,339,880 times
I wouldnt move to NYC with a child no way, move either to the suburbs of NYC or ST pete Florida.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 AM

10 posts, read 30,375 times
New York is great, but very expensive. If you want a more 'American' experience, move to Tampa.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,023,741 times
I've lived in both and I can't even give you a definitive answer

Like the others said, it comes down to cost and desired lifestyle - if you love the water, the nature, the beaches, Tampa is great. Tampa and St. Petersburg both have a great arts and culture scene.

I've always thought it would be great to raise a child in NYC - if you can live well there, meaning, if you have enough money to buy an apartment and be able to take the kids out of the city as well. New York City kids live in a virtual encyclopedia.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 37,692 times
Dear all,

Thank you all for your help and advices. We've decided to come to NYC first and then we will see. It is closer and shorter trip for our baby from Europe and we have first "aid" from friends who live in NYC. And you must admit it means a lot. Also we think that it is easier for finding a job in such a multicultural city, where there is a huge job offer every day.

One more thing is bothering me, concerning health insurance. Are there hospitals in NY based on Medicaid for us immigrants? To be more punctual our baby should have a MMR vaccine in October, and we are planning to come in September. I thing it is most probably that we won’t work in that time ( ssn , job etc) and I have heard that most of the companies gives you medical after three months (trial) working period.
Can somebody advice me how to deal with this situation, or how much it would cost if somebody knows?

Once again, thank you all for help! J

Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,681,200 times
Smile Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laricak View Post
Dear all,

Thank you all for your help and advices. We've decided to come to NYC first and then we will see. It is closer and shorter trip for our baby from Europe and we have first "aid" from friends who live in NYC. And you must admit it means a lot. Also we think that it is easier for finding a job in such a multicultural city, where there is a huge job offer every day.

One more thing is bothering me, concerning health insurance. Are there hospitals in NY based on Medicaid for us immigrants? To be more punctual our baby should have a MMR vaccine in October, and we are planning to come in September. I thing it is most probably that we won’t work in that time ( ssn , job etc) and I have heard that most of the companies gives you medical after three months (trial) working period.
Can somebody advice me how to deal with this situation, or how much it would cost if somebody knows?

Once again, thank you all for help! J
New York Stae offers a health insurance plan for low income workers...since you will be new in NY...perhaps the plan might be offered to you....I do not know the web site...but I am sure you can Goggle it....you will not be sorry for picking NY as your first choice....especially since you have family and friends here...as I said previously....it is the greatest place in the world...but, unfortunately.... it is becoming the land of the haves and the have nots.... good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or