U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 74,143 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any input on the Grand Central at Kennedy condo complex?

My wife and I are DINKs in our mid 30s and moving to MacDill in June. We are looking for something more urban than suburbs that is near nightlife shopping and other activities. Based on our readings it looks like Channelside, Harbour Island, SOHO or Hyde Park are the best options for us.

We are not yet sure if we want to buy or rent, but we noticed the Grand Central at Kennedy complex and really like what we are seeing of the place on-line (especially love the gourmet kitchens . It also looks like some really good deals are to be had in this area right now. I assume that is due to the low occupancy rate in this and other complexes in channelside...

Does anyone have any input they could share?

Thanks,
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 7,782,776 times
Dinks? I would not suggest living downtown its a ghost town and you will have to drive to get to the things you need

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM

DINKS = Dual Income No Kids

Thanks for the info. Any alternate areas you suggest?

Pat

Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 PM

9 posts, read 34,765 times
I just moved into Grand Central and LOVE it!! No need to drive when you can take the trolley into the heart of Channelside and walk to the St Pete Times forum. Plus the fact they are BRAND NEW with granite, viking appliances, hardwood flooring secured parking garage and they are offering great incentives. To me it was a no brainer

Last edited by twoutrally; 04-02-2008 at 09:21 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 PM

That's the only place the trolly takes you? Hmm I would suggest south Tampa it has more to offer imo. There are plenty of threads about south Tampa. Perhaps you should rent a place at Grand Central just to see if you like it. Only way you will know for sure is if you experience it.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 PM

119 posts, read 482,484 times
We're DINKs in our twenties. Thanks for the tip on grand central. It looks fantastic but i's too exensive for us. Maybe by the time we're DINKs in our thirties.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:06 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,626,270 times
I have friends that live in Grand Central and really enjoy it, there is alot of retail coming into the area, and sicne the Towers of Channelside have opened along with six other condo/townhome complexes, and they are gettign ready to open the first rentals in the area(Seaport), the is alot of activity in the area. Channelside Bayfron Entertainment center is a few blocks, SweetBay is poening the grocery store, several small cafes, a hairdresser, spa, and some professional offices have opended in the Channelside neighborhood. The streetcar can take you to Ybor City(less then a mile), and downtown near teh Forum and COnvention Center. There is also a trolley which circulates throughout Channelside and Downtown. its a new Urban area.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 AM

tampaguy03 & twoutrally,
Thanks for the comments about the location. It sounds like the area is starting to get more retail and it should be starting to have more places to go shopping and eating locally. My assumption is that once that happens more folks will start moving in and prices will go start going up.
It looks like this property might be a really good buy right now and we can get a much nicer place here than other areas like Hyde Park for the same amount of money.

Have any retailers started moving into the Grand Central buildings yet? How is the area around immeadiately around the complex?
Also, it looks like there are several ways in and out of this part of Channelside so commuting to and from MacDill might not be too bad, is that accurate?

Thanks again,
Pat

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM

Strange everytime I go downtown it is deserted. I have probably seen the trolly run twice.

I agree downtown is up and coming. But I kind of feel its way too overpriced. For that kind of money I would expect to live in an already thriving area.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM

979 posts, read 3,544,642 times
I work in Channelside and am there quite often. The trolleys run very regularly. (I should know because they get in my way every time I have to turn onto a street and they honk in my ear every time I am walking)

There are many unused spaces so far for retail. I can't wait to see what is going in them. I just heard lastnight that the towers went bankrupt. Can anyone verify this? Is it really true? It just doesn't seem like it is. I mean, I know they are having troubles trying to fill condos but BANKRUPT? Anyone? Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay