U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 AM

876 posts, read 1,624,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter451 View Post
For seafood, Mitchell's Fish Market in West Shore--I LOVE this place. All their food is fresh--huge oyster selection, and they'll basically do anything you ask them to regarding how you want your fish--the chef made our table a sushi platter once that was amazing--all we did was ask. They make all their drinks from scratch--the mojitos are awesome!!

Try their Kung Pao Calamari. It is soooooooo good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:05 AM

25,881 posts, read 39,172,212 times
If I hadn't seen this thread I probable wouldn't have mentioned it, but yesterday I was reading the neighborhood news paper that is delivered for free to every house where we live.
In it was an article about new businesses and one was a new restaurant in Tampa...something with Cuban sandwiches near where Acropolis is on the Bruce B. Downs....
It was a nice article with a few pictures....and after seeing the pictures I decided never to go there...the lady was wearing no gloves while preparing sandwiches and putting it bare handed on the plates in the kitchen!!!! if I would go to Subway thy all wearing gloves while preparing it and touching the sandwich I'm going to eat....the other lady in the pics had her hair hanging loose and it could easily get on the food...disgusting, specially in a time of swine flu!!!

I like the Cheesecake factory...Texas Roadhouse, Leroy Salmon, Chili's...and there are more great restaurants

Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,342,391 times
Jai Ho!

An EXCELLENT Indian restaurant with the most amazing lunch buffet (that's actually spicy! not toned down for non-Indians!). Located on Fowler Ave. across from the University Mall in the "Apna Bazaar" strip mall.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,447,342 times
Greek Salad at Pita Republic in Bloomingdale EXCELLENT! More authentic than most.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

138 posts, read 366,373 times
Oh my goodness. I miss First Choice BBQ. Good BBQ, awesome hand cut fries. I don't live in FL anymore - moved up north. I really miss all the good food. Mostly just Italian food up here. Hard to find BBQ, Mexican, Thai, and Chinese. Lots of mom and pop places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Since BBQ was brought up a few times, I'm surprised nobody mentioned First Choice in Brandon. It's a fast-food place but there's usually a line out the door during peak times and the BBQ is some of the best I've ever had anywhere.

I'll also second GrillSmith, Miguel's, Mangroves, and Oystercatchers.

717 South, Mise en Place, Cafe Dufrain, Ceviche, and Bella's are also some good South Tampa restaurants that haven't been mentioned. And although it's a chain, you really can't go wrong with Roy's either. Their fish is excellent. Armani's probably has the best view of any restaurant around, however I think their food has gone down a notch in the past year or so. I don't really think it's worth the price, but the service is excellent and it's got that view...

Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
Oh my goodness. I miss First Choice BBQ. Good BBQ, awesome hand cut fries. I don't live in FL anymore - moved up north. I really miss all the good food. Mostly just Italian food up here. Hard to find BBQ, Mexican, Thai, and Chinese. Lots of mom and pop places.

I also haven't seen anyone mention Mugs n Jugs in Clearwater on 66th street. By far the best boneless wings I've ever had. My sister sends me their sauce. I live 1200 miles away! That's how good it is.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
Cracker Barrel. We don't have them on the West Coast, and and the nearest one is in Boise 435 miles from Portland.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM

We have two Cracker Barrels in Connecticut (thank goodness!). There is a definite difference in people's take up here on food. They detest urban sprawl and restaurant chains. So being a FL native - that's all I know. And let me tell you, it's very hard getting used to not having everything at your fingertips.

I miss Chick-Fil-A. However, there's one about 100 miles away in Paramus, NJ. I get the party platers and freeze them. When I need my CFA fix, I defrost a bag, pop in the oven for a bit, and top with Mugs N Jugs sauce. Yum! Next week, we are getting a Fresh Market and I'm thrilled! I also travel to NJ for Total Wine and stock up. You can't buy wine in the grocery stores in CT. You have to go to a "package store." We don't have the following: Buca di Beppo, Mimi's Cafe, Sweet Tomatoes, Crispers, Beef O' Brady's, Bahama Breeze, Miller's Ale House, Checkers, Macaroni Grill, Bonefish Grill, Maggiano's, Sonic, etc.

What we do have is amazing scenery and lots of wineries. And lobster, lobster, lobster. We're going to another lobster fest this weekend. And of course nothing beats being able to open up a food magazine where an event in NYC is being held, hop on the Metro North and w/in 1.5 hours, I'm in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Cracker Barrel. We don't have them on the West Coast, and and the nearest one is in Boise 435 miles from Portland.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,823 times
My husband and I are Yankee food snobs and as a whole have been very disappointed with the Tampa food scene as well. That being said; If you really are picky about mexican, Vallartas on the corner of Busch Blvd and 56th st is excellent. This is authentic mexican right down to the staff.Sushi: Ichiban on Fowler (voted Best of the Bay 4yrs running) excellent selection, very reasonable as Sushi goes.Pizza: Alessi Bakery on W. Cypress has New Haven style, Gourmet Pizza Kitchen also has decent pizza and thats about it for pizza. (we're not up North anymore Toto)Chicago Style Hot dogs: Mels on Busch is actually pretty authentic, he is from Chicago and has done a great job!!BBQ: I agree with the other comments First Choice hands down. Anyway, theres a few, Hope that helps

Old 09-29-2009, 02:38 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,628,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagirl95 View Post
My husband and I are Yankee food snobs and as a whole have been very disappointed with the Tampa food scene as well. That being said; If you really are picky about mexican, Vallartas on the corner of Busch Blvd and 56th st is excellent. This is authentic mexican right down to the staff.Sushi: Ichiban on Fowler (voted Best of the Bay 4yrs running) excellent selection, very reasonable as Sushi goes.Pizza: Alessi Bakery on W. Cypress has New Haven style, Gourmet Pizza Kitchen also has decent pizza and thats about it for pizza. (we're not up North anymore Toto)Chicago Style Hot dogs: Mels on Busch is actually pretty authentic, he is from Chicago and has done a great job!!BBQ: I agree with the other comments First Choice hands down. Anyway, theres a few, Hope that helps
I too am a bit of a Yankee food snob, just wanted to ask bellagirl if she has tried the following regarding the post above:
Mexican - Algustos on Kennedy Blvd near downtown
Sushi - Yoko's on MacDill Ave in South Tampa
Pizza - Cappy's on Bay to Bay or Eddie & Sams Downtown Tampa
Chicago Style Hot Dogs - I know of nowhere else but Mel's, but we are also not in Chicago
BBQ - agree with First Choice, but also Jimbo's on Kennedy.

Is there a particular type of food you have not found worthwhile in Tampa area? Ive been here over 20 years and have LOTS of favs for all kinds of food and atmosphere...just ask me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or