Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 39,222 times

Advertisements

Butter aside......I would like to ask any self employed business people the following tax question:

If my plumber is based and licensed out of Pasco county and does work on my Hillsborough residence. In 2019, would he charge a 7% sales tax (Pasco tax rate) or the new Hillsborough 8.5% rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Attis View Post
Butter aside......I would like to ask any self employed business people the following tax question:

If my plumber is based and licensed out of Pasco county and does work on my Hillsborough residence. In 2019, would he charge a 7% sales tax (Pasco tax rate) or the new Hillsborough 8.5% rate.
Not sure if I'm correct, but I believe that sales tax is charged for where the sale takes place. In this case this would be Pasco County, but I'm not 100% sure.

What if the plumber charges you 8.5% but only declares 7% due to being paid in Pasco. That can be a nice icing if that happens weekly.

If you order online from a store, than the sales tax in your County should be applicable. One of my kids uses different shipping addresses as that benefits how much sales tax is charged. NY has zero tax on certain items up to $ 100.-. If you buy something that is more expensive at a Hillsborough store or a car, then you may want to go to Pasco as that can save you some big bucks.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
When I lived in Pennsylvania, the sales tax rate in Philly was (and still is) higher than the rest of the state. If you lived in Philly, even if you bought a car outside the city, you paid the Philly rate for the sales tax because that is where the car would be registered. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case down here.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Don't know why peeps without kids have to pay for schools like fools.
I agree with you. I have a child in school right now, but I don’t think people with out kids should pay my child’s education. I Chose to breed, I should pay for my own child.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:15 AM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Attis View Post

I don't know about the sales tax. If I operate out of Pasco and make a service call to Brandon or Sun City I'm going to charge more for mileage and travel time, sitting in traffic isn't free. I'm also guessing that if the work is on the books in Hillsborough county legally I charge the sales tax due according to law there.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 AM

490 posts, read 583,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I agree with you. I have a child in school right now, but I don’t think people with out kids should pay my child’s education. I Chose to breed, I should pay for my own child.
Who paid for your education, your siblings,& friends when you were school age? What difference does it make if you ever have kids or not? This sort of selfish logic is comical and proves how our education system is failing. Another prime example of the failure of critical thinking skills. It's a system that helps pass it on from the previous generation that benefits everyone for a stronger educated country.

So using your logic why should you pay taxes that buy fire trucks that are extremely expensive for high rise condos if you live in a 1 or 2 story house? Those people bought them they should pay for fire trucks that reach higher.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 AM

124 posts, read 124,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Who paid for your education, your siblings,& friends when you were school age? What difference does it make if you ever have kids or not? This sort of selfish logic is comical and proves how our education system is failing. Another prime example of the failure of critical thinking skills. It's a system that helps pass it on from the previous generation that benefits everyone for a stronger educated country.

So using your logic why should you pay taxes that buy fire trucks that are extremely expensive for high rise condos if you live in a 1 or 2 story house? Those people bought them they should pay for fire trucks that reach higher.
Exactly, it is part of our social contract, and everyone benefits from good schools regardless of whether or not you have kids in the system.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:40 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
My parents paid $200 a month jack for my school back in 73. I left school at a young age to fish offshore. So i am happy to say i used no 1's bucks buck.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My parents paid $200 a month jack for my school back in 73. I left school at a young age to fish offshore. So i am happy to say i used no 1's bucks buck.
Why should we foot the bill for the coast guard who pull your behind with your distress call out in the ocean?

Old 11-22-2018, 04:07 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Why should we foot the bill for the coast guard who pull your behind with your distress call out in the ocean?
Never had to make a call to distress jess. Make sure you know your boat and the weather heather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay